The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

REUP char creation/options
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> REUP char creation/options
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: REUP char creation/options Reply with quote

How many people use the methods in REUP for char creation? The optional stuff? And the starting credits?
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt even actually notice they had those options in there..... *hides face in shame*
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the optional rules for starting credits and the advantages and disadvantages. I liked the first but the 2nd was a bit unbalancing
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilnerf wrote:
I used the optional rules for starting credits and the advantages and disadvantages. I liked the first but the 2nd was a bit unbalancing

How was the a&d unbalanced?

Aside from some typos, it looked intriguing.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
evilnerf wrote:

How was the a&d unbalanced?

I agree with nerf. I find the REUP A&D system to be pretty broken...

Sixth Sense - For a cost of 2D in skill dice, the PC can't be surprised 50% of the time in play (and apparently without Force-sensitivity)? Wow.

Extraordinary Memory - For the cost of a mere 1D in skill dice, you get a bonus to "most" Knowledge rolls? Really? One skill die for an entire attribute of 1D skill bonuses??

Argumentative - This sanctions a player to be extremely argumentative, and they get a 1D bonus in skill dice on top?!! Center of Conversation - almost as bad, and the character gets rewarded to be self-centered. I don't know if any of you have ever gamed with argumentative or self-centered players, but the game doesn't need any suggestion for players to act that way (and even worse, pay their characters for doing so).

And a lot of them should just be roleplaying notes, character quirks that don't need any game mechanics for anyway. Think about it. Is the debt the smuggler template stars with for having a ship actually even a real disadvantage? The complication of striving to make enough money to pay a crime lord drives the story. Encounters with goons are just more adventure for PC group. Even if the PCs are Rebels, underworld complications are just part of the fun along the way. Ever have a three-side firefight breakout in a space station where the PCs, a squad of stormtroopers and a group of loan shark enforcers all just happen to come together at the same time and all three sides are each against the other two sides? I have. The PCs need a ship anyway, and giving them one with a debt attached is actually an advantage for the GM (helps the story write itself), and fun for all. No need for any rules to govern that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't look at it that way, with that set of thoughts see what you mean.

And force sensitive should have been in that list with a cost.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider using them if they were on a randomized table. IOW, the player cant pick them.
Rollenspiel
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It struck me as a little too similar to the Qualities & Drawbacks subrules in Eden Studios' Buffy RPG (p. 41 ff.), and not a great fit for Star Wars, IMHO. YMMV, etc. The presence of such things, however, does not at all diminish the sheer, blinding awesomeness that is the REUP. 8)
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rollenspiel wrote:
The presence of such things, however, does not at all diminish the sheer, blinding awesomeness that is the REUP. 8)

I completely agree. REUp is such an awesome accomplishment.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the late 90s... Advantages and Disadvantages have been a popular house rule for giving a mechanical boost or penalty for a character trait.

As I recall they were put into REUP mainly because it seemed that it was the logical evolution of the system. The D6 Space rules were very... well they stunk in my personal opinion... at least for use in Star Wars.... the system in REUP is derived from the D6 System book... which is far more genarilized... and yes, in retrospect it is not very well balanced.

A lot of the wonky bits in REUP are due to the fact that the game tried to have a very broad mechanical appeal... this sometimes led to the expanded and fringe rules being... well broken. D6 is a very strong system at its core... but the basic mechanics are variable enough to account for things we all too often invent an obtuse house rule for.

Characted Gen ads and disads is one of those. Just jot down the character trait you want under Personally and adjust your attributes accordingly. The game has built in balance.

My latest project is a Space/Adventure system... incorporating a lot of 1st edition mechanics. I am trying to apply lessons learned from REUP. Namely, let the system absorb most of the variables... game master discretion and interpretation is far more important than fiddly house rules.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like advantages and disadvantages for one critical reason: mechanical (rules derived) uniqueness between characters.

I really like when the character concept is expressed in the stats, as I see "stats" as being a representation of the character's abilities and personality and training/experience.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
I would consider using them if they were on a randomized table. IOW, the player cant pick them.

That could be fun for a one-shot adventure. Or go all-out and just have a bunch of pre-gen PCs with quirky personalities and have them randomly assigned to players for the one-shot. But for an ongoing campaign, no way I would would ever have most of these A&Ds or random ones.

Naaman wrote:
I like advantages and disadvantages for one critical reason: mechanical (rules derived) uniqueness between characters.

I really like when the character concept is expressed in the stats, as I see "stats" as being a representation of the character's abilities and personality and training/experience.

I'll just say I respect our extreme difference in RPG philosophies. I feel there are plenty things in the game that do not need game mechanics to govern, and should just be handled by roleplaying and story factors. I expect players, even if using a popular, overused template as a basis, to make their character unique. I have players complete the character development worksheet (from Heroes and Rogues and the like) that goes into greater detail than their character sheet alone, and is completely personalized. It's a roleplaying game, not a roll-playing game. But to each his own.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont disagree.

How do you handle skills like persuasion? I play with GMs who require the player to roleplay (convincingly) things like persuasion or con or intimidation.

In my opinion, this defeats the purpose of there being rules or even skills for these types of actions. It pretty much forces a player to play characters that match his personality and general level of social prowess.

I also dont like playing games where a single mechanic drives the entire system. This is the biggest flaw of D6 imho, and adding systems like advantages and disadvantages is a step in overcoming the extreme simplicity of the system.

Shoot-dodge-shoot-dodge-shoot-dodge...
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I dont disagree.

How do you handle skills like persuasion? I play with GMs who require the player to roleplay (convincingly) things like persuasion or con or intimidation.

In my opinion, this defeats the purpose of there being rules or even skills for these types of actions. It pretty much forces a player to play characters that match his personality and general level of social prowess.

I pretty much handle it like RAW...

R&E p.54 wrote:
Interaction skills between player and gamemaster characters shouldn't be solely determined by the die roll. If a character is conning a customs agent, and the player rolls a high con score, he obviously succeeds — but how does his character do it? What does he say to influence the customs agent? This is up to the player. The better the player acts the role of his character, the greater his chance of success should be.

Interactive skill rolls shouldn't be used by players to influence other players' characters — instead, they should resolve the situation by roleplaying and coming to some kind of mutual agreement. By reducing player interaction to a series of skill rolls, the game turns from a fun exercise in social interaction to a die rolling contest, which isn't nearly as enjoyable.

I don't require players to strictly play characters best suited their personality, but I do think it is best that a player who awkwardly shy to not play the face character of the PC group. So I do try to avoid the extreme mismatches.

Naaman wrote:
I also dont like playing games where a single mechanic drives the entire system. This is the biggest flaw of D6 imho, and adding systems like advantages and disadvantages is a step in overcoming the extreme simplicity of the system.

I'm starting to see why you like d20 so much. It is definitely the opposite of simple with a single mechanic. Most here consider simplicity and the single mechanic of D6 to be a strength, not a flaw. But you're here for some reason, and diversity in general is a strength.

Naaman wrote:
Shoot-dodge-shoot-dodge-shoot-dodge...

I'm sorry to read that. If any SW D6 game is reduced to "shoot-dodge-shoot-dodge" then what you have is a bad GM (and perhaps bad players also). Don't blame the game system for that. I love action but an entire adventure of just combat would be boring. There are six attributes worth of skills to use, not just Dexterity. And there should be plenty of roleplaying. I hope you get a chance to play under a good D6 GM some day to give you a better experience with it then what you've had.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: