The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Command Skill for Combined Action: Revised
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Command Skill for Combined Action: Revised Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Command Skill for Combined Action: Revised Reply with quote

The RAW says a character can only combine the actions of as many people as they have dice in the command skill. This is stupid. And the RAW also determines difficulty of command rolls based on the skill level of those under him and difficulty of the task. This is also dumb. The skill level of those being commanded is already accounted for in the base dice of the combined action itself, and the difficulty of the task is, of course, represented by the difficulty number. Therefore, the command difficulty should be set based on the number of people combining actions and a modifier representing the groups cohesion & morale (how well/often they work together & the overall mood of the group [are they fed, rested, prepared, inspired]).

Very Easy: 1-10 people
Easy: 11-20 people
Moderate: 21-30 people
Difficult: 31-100 people
Very Difficult: 101-500 people
Heroic: 501-1,000 people

Cohesion & Morale modifiers
High Cohesion: -5 command diff
Moderate Cohesion: -0 command diff
Low Cohesion: +5 command diff
High Morale: -5 command diff
Moderate Morale: -0 command diff
Low Morale: +5 command diff

Combined Action Bonuses:
1-30 people accrue +1 pip per person. A group of 30 gets a +10D bonus.
From 30-100 people the bonuses accrue at a rate of +1 pip per 10 people. A group of 100 gets +12D.
101-1,000 people get +1 pip per 100 people. A group of 1,000 gets +15D.

As a group becomes larger it accrues action bonuses more slowly. Once a group exceeds 30 people it is more efficient to break the group into separate units under several capable commanders. If there are not enough trained commanders available or if the point is to gain the extra action dice from extremely large groups, then a single skilled commander leading hundreds or even thousands of people is necessary.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting, need to read the RAW.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RAW also says "If a task is very easy and the characters are highly
skilled or experienced, you may even allow a leader to
combine actions for more characters than he has command
skill dice" SO they Can already combine more than his dice # would normally allow.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
skill dice" SO they Can already combine more than his dice # would normally allow.

What about when the task is not easy and the characters are only moderately skilled/experienced? For instance Stormtroopers as statted out are not what I would consider highly skilled. I don't think that should relegate them to a mechanic wherein their squad leader needs 8D in command just to combine their action and order them to work together. And the RAW doesn't account for combining the actions of larger, more unwieldy groups.

Last edited by Ning Leihrec on Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our games, Stormtroopers (but not basic Imperial soldiers) can combine actions in combat without a commander. It helps make them a little more dangerous and adds a bit of significance to an encounter against military troops versus just some common riffraff.
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rule makes sense, Naaman, in the context of the RAW for combined actions, because they're weakly written. By revising the rule most leaders of average experience can get groups of 10-20 people of all skill levels to work together, which seems to me to be more realistic and far less limiting than the RAW. I'm sure my mechanic could benefit from tweaks, but I believe it will function better and with fewer necessary exceptions (such as the one needed for stromtroopers) than the RAW.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im all for doing what works best for the campaign amd the gamimg group.

In our case, we just treat stormtroopers as "special" compaired to the regular troops (they arent the goofballs we see in the OT, bit rather like the clones in all the more recent stuff such as RotS, TCW, and the other TCW.

Basicaly, even if the leader is killed, the stormtroopers can still work efffectively as a unit.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
In our games, Stormtroopers (but not basic Imperial soldiers) can combine actions in combat without a commander. It helps make them a little more dangerous and adds a bit of significance to an encounter against military troops versus just some common riffraff.

I thought the stormtrooper combined actions exception (due to their training) was actually entered into RAW at one point in the game's development, but I looked and it doesn't seemed to have survived into R&E (or REUp).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a relic or carryover from 1st Ed that survived in our gaming group, though, Ive only ever played using 2RE "officially."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:
garhkal wrote:

What about when the task is not easy and the characters are only moderately skilled/experienced? For instance Stormtroopers as statted out are not what I would consider highly skilled. I don't think that should relegate them to a mechanic wherein their squad leader needs 8D in command just to combine their action and order them to work together. And the RAW doesn't account for combining the actions of larger, more unwieldy groups.

To me storm troopers by virtue of being academy trained, are more than adequately see-able as being able to go beyond that limit for experience purpose.

Quote:
I thought the stormtrooper combined actions exception (due to their training) was actually entered into RAW at one point in the game's development, but I looked and it doesn't seemed to have survived into R&E (or REUp).

It did, via Rules of Engagement. Page 98
"Combined fire. The Original starwars role playing game rules allowed storm tropers to combine fire as much as they wanted and in any numbers, for free. This is a trifle excessive, but a game master may rule that a squad or fire team of storm troopers can combine their fire against a target without making a command test. They are disciplined and coordinated troops with superior communication links, after all."
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works for me. I might allow trops from the sameelement to combine fire for free, regardless of the size of the element. For example, 3 squads of storm troopers would count as separate units, unless tey were all from the same pltoon, in which case, the could combine.

Keep in mind, though, when working with an element that size, there will be much more than just a couple of targets (bigger than a group of 3 or 4 PCs). So having 30 guys combine fire against one dude is probably never going to happen. 30 guys combining fire against a walker or a low flying starfighter makes some sense.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:

It did, via Rules of Engagement. Page 98
"Combined fire. The Original starwars role playing game rules allowed storm tropers to combine fire as much as they wanted and in any numbers, for free. This is a trifle excessive, but a game master may rule that a squad or fire team of storm troopers can combine their fire against a target without making a command test. They are disciplined and coordinated troops with superior communication links, after all."

Thanks, garhkal. That tells us where it is RAW in 2e. However, them saying "original" SW RPG rules is misleading. I went back and looked. There is no combined actions rule in the original 1e core book. Combined Actions first appeared in the Rules Upgrade sheet included with early 1e modules, but stormtroopers are not special there. The Stormtrooper exception to Combined Actions entered into 1e with the Rules Companion book, but like the above SpecForce book quote, there was no limit to the number that can coordinate. I like the SpecForce book guideline.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ning Leihrec
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The optional mechanic in Rules of Engagement seems like it's chipping away at the overall problem to me. Namely because it only addresses combined fire when there are all manner of possible combined actions. And I don't think the number of people being coordinated should be unlimited, but it also shouldn't be capped by the number of command dice the leader has. Hence the difficulty levels I laid out. I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on the rules I've proposed (how they might be improved / glaring holes) unless I'm the only one who thinks the RAW is lacking.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
That works for me. I might allow trops from the sameelement to combine fire for free, regardless of the size of the element. For example, 3 squads of storm troopers would count as separate units, unless tey were all from the same pltoon, in which case, the could combine.

Keep in mind, though, when working with an element that size, there will be much more than just a couple of targets (bigger than a group of 3 or 4 PCs). So having 30 guys combine fire against one dude is probably never going to happen. 30 guys combining fire against a walker or a low flying starfighter makes some sense.

Agreed. Normally when i have stormies do that (Combine fire) its either paired up, quad, or a six pack. ONLY high str targets (or someone in big armor and Jedi) get more than 6 combining..
I have done the 25 troops combining on a fighter/freighter before that way the combined fire bonus gets past the 6d scale difference.

Ning Leihrec wrote:
The optional mechanic in Rules of Engagement seems like it's chipping away at the overall problem to me. Namely because it only addresses combined fire when there are all manner of possible combined actions. And I don't think the number of people being coordinated should be unlimited, but it also shouldn't be capped by the number of command dice the leader has. Hence the difficulty levels I laid out. I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on the rules I've proposed (how they might be improved / glaring holes) unless I'm the only one who thinks the RAW is lacking.

The only thing i would add to your list, is that the relative skill of those being combined should also be a factor.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ning Leihrec wrote:

For small groups like PCs, the RAW work great. If you are considering a large organization such as the imperial military or rebel alliance, or evven private sector entities, the RAW can still be used very realistically.
In reality, top military commanders have three or four direct subordinates, who each have three or four dirct subordinates and so on. The top guy uses his command skill to boost the command skills of his subordinates. This goes all the way down the chain to the bottom, where the task doers get their combined action bonuses for the task at hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: