The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mortally wounded characters....... almost always die?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Mortally wounded characters....... almost always die?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Mortally wounded characters....... almost always die? Reply with quote

Okay so anyone else notice both Transfer Force and First Aid require 1 minute to use - which means it takes 12 rounds to use them.

You roll 2 dice and the number rolled must be higher than the number of rounds that have passed, or death.

Which means you have next to no chance to get to someone and heal them, since to be successful your gm needs to roll each round and you NEED a 6 on the wild on the last round if the target is reached in the same round as being wounded.

So......... yeah.

There is like NO chance to survive that - 12 rounds and the gm rolls each round. average of a 2D is 7..... that means by the law of averages your surviving 7 rounds...maybe. But 12? almost impossible.

Do you all use the official rules for this?
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you could rush it Laughing
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mortally wounded characters....... almost always die? Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
Okay so anyone else notice both Transfer Force and First Aid require 1 minute to use - which means it takes 12 rounds to use them.

You roll 2 dice and the number rolled must be higher than the number of rounds that have passed, or death.

Which means you have next to no chance to get to someone and heal them, since to be successful your gm needs to roll each round and you NEED a 6 on the wild on the last round if the target is reached in the same round as being wounded.

So......... yeah.

There is like NO chance to survive that - 12 rounds and the gm rolls each round. average of a 2D is 7..... that means by the law of averages your surviving 7 rounds...maybe. But 12? almost impossible.

You're off on a couple things. R&E p. 64, First Aid, Time Taken: One combat round. R&E p.97, in the second paragraph of Mortally Wounded, it states, "A character making a Moderate first aid total can "stabilize" a mortally wounded character. The character is still mortally wounded but will survive if a medpac or bacta tank is used on him within one hour (Moderate first aid total): otherwise he dies."

So mortally wounded is not quite as deadly in RAW as you make it out. You can take a round to try to stabilize a mortally wounded character, to then give you an hour (bacta tank with skilled user is best bet), and the regular first aid medpac rolls only take one round anyway, not one minute.

tetsuoh wrote:
Do you all use the official rules for this?

I use the RAW I posted above. For the mortally wounded 2D time ticker roll, I use the character's Strength value instead. Galactic average Strength still gives you 2D even, but stronger NPCs and a lot of PCs are going to have more time, on average.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have sworn I had JUST read it said one minute for first aid.......

wth.......

Well still - Transfer Force almost always fails I guess.....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mortally wounded characters....... almost always die? Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:

Where are you getting that 1 min is needed for First aid? By page 64 in the R&E book First aid's Time to Use is 1 combat round.
As for Transfer Force, i WILL give you that neither 2e basic or R&E mentions that the death counter is halted DURING that 1 minute time before using the skill, but have NEVER seen any DM (or heard of any) who didn't have it halt while the Jedi applied TF.
Though i have seen 2 times it failed to kick in, since the Control diff is only Easy, but IS modified by Relationship (being a team mate should be good for the +5 for friend or +7 for acquainted) and the Alter roll is Moderate. And since you are already spending a FP to kick the power in, there is no doubling of your die pool, but you still should be suffering the MAP for a 2 power skill being used.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with garhkal that while a Jedi is attempting to transfer force the death counter is halted or ignored. That is always how I have run it. On the down side, if the attempt fails, I have also always ruled the mortally wounded character had passed away (as though I did not make a mortal wound test time still passed).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree, that if after the 1 min the jedi fails his Transfer force roll, the subject passes on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: