The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

new/ old templates
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> new/ old templates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: new/ old templates Reply with quote

In order to connect the two trilogies in the game I took some of the original templates and put a prequel spin on them.

Alien Student of the Force is now Togruta Student of the Force.
DEXTERITY 2D+1
blaster, dodge, lightsaber, thrown weapons
KNOWLEDGE 3D+1
alien species, intimidation, survival
MECHANICAL 2D
beast riding, repulsorlift operation, space transports, swoop operation
PERCEPTION 2D+1
bargain, hide, investigation, persuasion, sneak
STRENGTH 3D
brawling, running, stamina
TECHNICAL 2D
droid programming, droid repair, first aid

CONTROL 1D, SENSE 1D, CONTROL 1D

EQUIPMENT
Lightsaber, Jedi holocron, 250 credits standard.

Notes: I liked the 1e rule where force skills cost are not double the cost of attribute dice. Moved running to strength attribute to have more skills in that attribute and I always thought running takes strength not coordination.

More to come...
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: new/ old templates Reply with quote

griff wrote:

EQUIPMENT
Lightsaber, Jedi holocron, 250 credits standard.

Notes: I liked the 1e rule where force skills cost are not double the cost of attribute dice. Moved running to strength attribute to have more skills in that attribute and I always thought running takes strength not coordination.

More to come...

Holocron ? That not a bit much to start with.

2nd ed, 1D attribute = first D force skill
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always viewed the holocron like an online schooling course that is effective enough to help advance the owner a little at a time. I would gm the holocron that as the character advanced the character could delve deeper into the memory of the holocron. I don't see the holocron as a super powerful item.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see that Holocron... Why does it say "University of Phoenix" on the side?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating Holocrons could only be done by very powerful Jedi masters, I feel that giving a padawan a holocron would be entrusting someone inexperienced with a powerful item, not to mention giving them a super rare and near priceless object to an inexperienced student.. The Jedi temple even had a room in the archives in which they stored the holocrons. I think that something like a lore book or a manual like the Jedi Path would be better than a holocron.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I didn't read putting a prequel spin on it as the template necessarily being for characters playing in the prequel era. If this is still the classic era, the character could have been a new padawan at the time of Order 66 and "inherited" the holocron from her dying master. That doesn't mean she was ready for it when he got it, or that she has even unlocked all of the mysteries of the holocron 20 years later. In SW Rebels, Kanan has a holocron. While there are plenty of unrealistic aspect of that show, I don't really find the fact that he has a holocron and its portrayal in the show to be one of them.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While trying to put a background to the character and all the templates I've been writing up. The time frame is ten to twenty years after order 66. The lightsaber and holocron were sent to the character from a sibling that was a Jedi. The purge took place before the character began training at the temple. The items were sent to the character to keep them away from the Empire.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: new/ old templates Reply with quote

griff wrote:
In order to connect the two trilogies in the game I took some of the original templates and put a prequel spin on them.

Alien Student of the Force is now Togruta Student of the Force...

More to come...

griff wrote:
While trying to put a background to the character and all the templates I've been writing up. The time frame is ten to twenty years after order 66. The lightsaber and holocron were sent to the character from a sibling that was a Jedi. The purge took place before the character began training at the temple. The items were sent to the character to keep them away from the Empire.

I'm looking forward to the complete write-up of the template (Background, Personality, etc.).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx1138 wrote:
Creating Holocrons could only be done by very powerful Jedi masters, I feel that giving a padawan a holocron would be entrusting someone inexperienced with a powerful item, not to mention giving them a super rare and near priceless object to an inexperienced student.. The Jedi temple even had a room in the archives in which they stored the holocrons. I think that something like a lore book or a manual like the Jedi Path would be better than a holocron.

One way to do it, is that to even activate the holocron, the owning jedi needs to make a control roll, say moderate difficulty, just to get it's attention.

BUT i do agree, having a holocron starting out is a little out of whak.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Thx1138 wrote:

One way to do it, is that to even activate the holocron, the owning jedi needs to make a control roll, say moderate difficulty, just to get it's attention.

BUT i do agree, having a holocron starting out is a little out of whak.

Having a holocron in the chars background okay, even a plot hook as trying to find ware it might have gone.

Not a starting char, unless the GM would make it part of the story the the Jedi hunters are after the holocron, and the char.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar wrote:
Having a holocron in the chars background okay, even a plot hook as trying to find ware it might have gone.

Whether its part of the character background or whatnot, the bottom line is the gm has the final say. I could create a character that logically explains why he has several hundred trillion credits and a fleet of Deathstars, but the gm is probably going to tell me no and to rewrite the character background.

Quote:
Not a starting char, unless the GM would make it part of the story the the Jedi hunters are after the holocron, and the char.

An NPC is different from a character and the gm can do what he wants. I am a bit confused. Is this a PC character or an NPC character? Either way, the final ruling is up to the gm and if its just shared character, as opposed to saying, "you shouldn't do this or allow that"

Now with that being said, in my games, which at this time are set during Rebellion Era and fledgeling New Order (2 ABY to 4 ABY) I would not allow a PC to start with a holocron. If I did there would be a ton of restrictions on it and mystery. They would probably over time be able to access portions of it, but not at the beginning unless it was a training holocron or had limited information on it.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Savar wrote:

Whether its part of the character background or whatnot, the bottom line is the gm has the final say. I could create a character that logically explains why he has several hundred trillion credits and a fleet of Deathstars, but the gm is probably going to tell me no and to rewrite the character background.

Quote:

An NPC is different from a character and the gm can do what he wants. I am a bit confused. Is this a PC character or an NPC character? Either way, the final ruling is up to the gm and if its just shared character, as opposed to saying, "you shouldn't do this or allow that"

Now with that being said, in my games, which at this time are set during Rebellion Era and fledgeling New Order (2 ABY to 4 ABY) I would not allow a PC to start with a holocron. If I did there would be a ton of restrictions on it and mystery. They would probably over time be able to access portions of it, but not at the beginning unless it was a training holocron or had limited information on it.

Yup, all counts on the GM.

empire and on they be rare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: