The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dual Lightsabers rules?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Dual Lightsabers rules? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends how the disarming is done.. Kind of hard to fight through the pain of just losing one of your arms!
mcbobbo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That depends how the disarming is done.. Kind of hard to fight through the pain of just losing one of your arms!

For at least one round, if not the whole fight:

"A character who is maimed during combat is considered either wounded or incapacitated in addition to the maiming effect - gamemaster's option"
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly; we have three glaring examples of individuals engaged in lightsaber fights who, upon being disarmed (literally), weren't doing much more than moaning and groaning, screaming, or being focused on putting distance between themselves and the one who had disarmed them.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's 4 actually. ATOC when Anakin got disarmed by Douku, ROTS when Douku get's disarmed by Anakin. ROTS when Windu gets disarmed by Anakin, and ESB when vader takes luke's hand.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And RoTJ when Luke takes Vader's hand! Granted, that situation was a little different.

Aren't there Force powers that allow you to remain conscious and ignore pain? I mean, you'd have to have them up when you were taking the damage, and most people wouldn't opt to take those MAPs when they were in a life and death struggle. So, it's impractical, but it is feasible, isn't it?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Aren't there Force powers that allow you to remain conscious and ignore pain? I mean, you'd have to have them up when you were taking the damage, and most people wouldn't opt to take those MAPs when they were in a life and death struggle. So, it's impractical, but it is feasible, isn't it?

Personally, I'd allow Force users who know those powers to roll Control as a reaction skill, just at increased base difficulty and with MAPs applied. But then, it is well established that I'm less restrictive on what constitutes a reaction skill than the RAW...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
There's 4 actually. ATOC when Anakin got disarmed by Douku, ROTS when Douku get's disarmed by Anakin. ROTS when Windu gets disarmed by Anakin, and ESB when vader takes luke's hand.

You've actually forgotten the first one: Ponda Baba had his right arm severed by Obi-Wan!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Zam Wessell by Obi-Wan in AOTC.

And Anakin by Obi-Wan in ROTS.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Yeah, I forgot Dooku getting both hands sliced off; although, he remained fairly quiet after that...

And while it is theoretically possible for a Jedi to continue on after being disarmed in this manner, it seems to me it'd be a Heroic roll, since we NEVER see an example in the movies of that happening.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Yeah, I forgot Dooku getting both hands sliced off; although, he remained fairly quiet after that...

And while it is theoretically possible for a Jedi to continue on after being disarmed in this manner, it seems to me it'd be a Heroic roll, since we NEVER see an example in the movies of that happening.

He was rather quite, as soon after he had his head removed!
dicemauler
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For dual wielding anything we've just been increasing the difficulty one stage and adding half the skill rating for the roll. When figuring damage you do single weapon damage.

If PC1 has a Blaster skill of 4D and wants to shoot two blasters at someone then they would roll 6D (4D + 1/2 blaster skill) and do 4D damage (as if PC1 only fired a single shot).

IF PC2 has a Lightsaber skill of 4D and wants to swing both lightsabers at someone they would roll 6D (Very Difficult) and would do 5D damage.

My group seems happy with the rule, but we've only been using it occasionally for about a year. Admittedly we've been doing very little combat encounters lately.
Tol-Yun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Vader does continue in ROTJ after taking a little break...

I'm with cheshire and Savar on this one: just use the normal rules applying MAPs and taking actions as per RAW, with the second lightsaber being for style and backup.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure whether or not I'd count Vader continuing on after losing his bionic hand; I personally don't know the quality of his cybernetic prostheses. I mean, what we see in the movies depict them as simply cybernetic arms and legs, without the kind of tech involved to make them look like normal limbs. I'd presume them to at least be capable of transmitting sensations (at least, the ones provided by Palpatine, since this IS, after his Golden Boy, and I would expect him to use his basically limitless resources to provide the best for Anakin...but not going to the basically unnecessary expense of making the limbs look natural. After all, the scarier he looks, the better he can terrorize people).

The reason I would consider Vader's continuation of action as needing a Heroic roll, rather than an easier one, is because of Anakin's affinity for machinery. I know a great many people do not attribute the novels of the EU (regardless of the time frame) as being any good or acceptable source for information about characters or concepts to be used in RPGs. However, I'm currently reading a Clone Wars novel ("Siege"), and I read an interesting passage that lent some insight into why Anakin remained so powerful...not only after losing his first arm, but after Obi Wan sliced and diced him and left him for dead in a caustic, volatile environment. The books says that Anakin's natural affinity for machines basically kept him from losing any of his connection to the Force. Now, of course, this doesn't speak to his connection after becoming Vader, and I personally would think THAT level of cyborging would have to limit him to SOME extent. After all, this IS the Chosen One we're talking about. This young man broke records at the Temple right and left. He's IMMENSELY powerful, being compared to ALL the Masters, including Yoda. Quite honestly, IMO, had he not gotten all chopped up, he'd have been powerful enough to have defeated Palpatine. But instead, he went all whiny Skywalker boy on us and fell to the dark side, which of course led to his going through the Ginsu Gauntlet with Obi Wan.

So, I guess your opinion on how hard it would have been for him to get back up and get back into action after Luke cut off his hand depends on how much you think his cybernetics were a true part of him. Personally I think he was quite attached to them (pun intended, of course), so it would have been heroic, even though it was a cybernetic arm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: