The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules for Starfighter Bombing Runs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Rules for Starfighter Bombing Runs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Rules for Starfighter Bombing Runs Reply with quote

As you may be aware, I'm putting together a rather large rule set for Advanced Starfighter Combat using the D6 System. The space combat rules have been completed for the most part, with only a few odds and ends remaining to add to the core system.

One of the last things I want to add is rules for air-to-ground attack missions using missiles and bombs, but I'm not quite sure how I want to proceed, insofar as, should I make it simple or accurate? I'm basically looking for advice on how to proceed, so here are the notes I've compiled on the subject up to this point.
    GROUND ATTACK
    Bombing is a complicated subject. There are different types of bombs, fuses, delivery methods, and all of them have specific uses to which they are suited. For the purposes of this rule system, I'm going to focus on the kinds of tactical bombing starfighters would perform.

Methods
    Strafing Runs
    This shallow dive aims the starfighter directly at the target, allowing the fighter to attack with cannon or rocket fire. The fighter may only make a single attack before breaking off to avoid running into the ground.

Glide Bombing
    Similar to a Strafing Run, Glide Bombing uses a shallower dive to drop a gravity bomb on a target as it passes over. This method allows for greater accuracy when utilizing unguided bombs, but can be greatly enhanced when combined with guided bombs.

Level Bombing
    The bombing craft makes a simple pass over the target at medium or high altitude, dropping bombs as it passes. In the past, this approach was used for carpet bombing. It is considered the most effective method for delivering guided bombs, as it provides a stable platform for targeting and guidance.

Drag Bombing
    This is essentially the same as Level Bombing, but done at such low altitudes that the ship dropping the bombs would be damaged by the blast effect from its own bombs. To counter this, bombs are fitted with a drag system, such as an inflatable ballute or an air scoop that drastically slows the bomb once it is deployed. By the time the drag bomb hits its target, the bomber is safely far ahead and out of the bomb's blast radius.

The Vertical Swoop
    A tactic recently introduced by the Imperial Navy's Scimitar Assault Wing, the Vertical Swoop is the adaptation of space bomb methods and weaponry to attack ground targets. Since space bombs are fired forward out of a launch tube rather than dropped vertically out of a bomb chute, the launching craft must approach his target from directly overhead, diving straight down on his target from above. The Vertical Swoop is similar to Strafing Runs and Glide Bombing, save for the steepness of the approach angle. It also has the added advantage of being able to precisely target a structure within a crowded city and destroy it with minimal collateral damage. For starfighters not equipped with bomb chutes, this is the only bomb delivery method available to them.

Lob-Tossing
    Starting at low level, the bomber pulls up into a power climb and releases the bomb in mid-climb with sufficient kinetic energy to toss the bomb several kilometers in a ballistic arc. This is one of the most inaccurate bombings methods available, and is best suited to use with either a precision guided bomb or a high power strategic weapon, such as a nuclear bomb.

-Gravity Bomb: 100m-200m/300m/700m (Atmosphere only)

Bombing Runs -
    1). Piloting roll to fly over the target
    2). Gunnery roll to drop the bomb at the right time
    3). A Stick of Bombs is 4-6 bombs dropped in close sequence to increase the odds that one will hit the target.
    4). Circular Error Probability - How far off target a bomb can be expected to land (use grenade scatter rules)

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since with hitting a ground target, unless its moving all you really need to do is beat the "Range" diff, perhaps each type of ground attack could have its own modifier.
Say Straffing/dive bombing runs add +5 to the base TN, but only allow for one opportunity to shoot down the bomb/bomber.
Level bombing gives no modifier as it's more accurate, but gives 3 or more chances to shoot down both the bombing vehicle and the bombs dropped..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Since with hitting a ground target, unless its moving all you really need to do is beat the "Range" diff, perhaps each type of ground attack could have its own modifier.
Say Straffing/dive bombing runs add +5 to the base TN, but only allow for one opportunity to shoot down the bomb/bomber.
Level bombing gives no modifier as it's more accurate, but gives 3 or more chances to shoot down both the bombing vehicle and the bombs dropped..

That was what I was thinking; that each type of attack would provide bonuses for different types of weapon. I'm not sure how accurate those would be, though.

I can't even find any real evidence of smart bombs on Wookieepedia, so I'm not even sure they exist. It would seem to follow, though, that if guided missiles and torpedoes exist, similar guidance could be applied to bombs...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did have a thread a while back, on ground troops "lazing a target' to make it easier for incoming missiles/bombs..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
We did have a thread a while back, on ground troops "lazing a target' to make it easier for incoming missiles/bombs..

I agree the possibility exists, but I'm saying I can't find any official mention of it. Hell, when I did a Google Search for "Star Wars Smart Homing Guided Bomb", the first Star Wars related topic to come up was a link to my Advanced Starfighter Combat thread...

Being able to designate targets has some definite uses, and not just for starfighter combat; a SpecForce player group could be responsible for lasing a target for a Rebel Starfighter strike. In fact, my concept for Imperial Army Sharpshooters gives them a scoped rifle that can target designate for starfighters and ballistic artillery. A Rebel Pathfinder could easily be equipped with something similar.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But part of my original question remains, how complicated do I really want to make this? Should I just leave out the different kinds of bombing runs and just come up with a reasonably accurate rule for dropping a bomb on a target? I mean, I definitely think I'll include the Vertical Swoop rules, because that's the only way some fighters will be able to drop bombs without serious modification. But how much detail is really needed?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I agree the possibility exists, but I'm saying I can't find any official mention of it. Hell, when I did a Google Search for "Star Wars Smart Homing Guided Bomb", the first Star Wars related topic to come up was a link to my Advanced Starfighter Combat thread...

The reason there are no official rules, is the same reason there is nothing official for slug artillery strikes, or ground mines such as bouncing betties. That level of granularity and grit was something the original designers didn't see as being in a SW game.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So should guided bombs be included? After all, guided missiles are a pretty strong presence in the X-Wing games and the EU, so is there is precedent for including them. But if guided bombs don't exist in the EU, how far should I take it?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, bombs shouldn't even have a range. Dropping an unguided bomb requires the bomber pilot to place his aircraft in a specific location in time and space to drop the bomb before it hits the target. As such, any "range" on a bomb stat should be based on how accurate it is at low, medium and high altitudes (with point blank being so low that the bomber gets caught by his own blasts).

Combined with increased difficulty to hit at varying altitudes, there would also be different scatter distances for use with the grenade scatter diagram, depending on how high up the bomb was dropped from.

For instance, if we calculate the scatter distance by # per points by which the roll missed, that number might be 1 meter at low altitude, 3 meters at medium altitude, and so on...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the approach, which can be the most exciting part of the whole scenario; flying through canyons at breakneck speeds, dodging anti-air artillery fire, dealing with the starfighters chasing you. All of that stuff leading up to the drop is just as important...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think I'm going to throw out the details and keep it as simple as possible.

The Range stat for bombs will be the altitude range from which the bomb must be dropped to have a chance of hitting the target. However, the Piloting skill Difficulty will increase as the range decreases, reflecting a variety of factors.

Guided bombs will have longer Range and higher Fire Control. Special rules for the Vertical Swoop will be included, as it will remain the only method by which some starfighters can deliver bombs.

So, a stat for a Proton Bomb would look something like this:
    Fire Arc: Front
    Fire Control: 1D
    Range: 100m-200m/300m/700m
    Damage: 10D
Whereas a Smart Bomb would look like this:
    Fire Control: 4D
    Range: 500m-1km/1.5km/2.5km
In addition, unguided bombs could be dropped in "strings" or "sticks", dropping multiple bombs to increase the chances of a hit on a target. A stick of 4-6 bombs would likely result in a +2D bonus to Fire Control.

The bombing run itself, however, would be essential to lining up a target for a successful bomb hit, with a base Difficulty based on the size of the target. The simplest way to do this would be to set a base Piloting Difficulty (Easy, for example), then add in scale modifiers. The result of that roll would then add a bonus or penalty to the difficulty of the Gunnery roll to deliver the shot. Basically, whatever the difference is between the Piloting Skill roll and the Difficulty is either subtracted from or added to the Gunnery roll.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably will need two sets of rules, one each for Guided and Unguided Bombs. The key difference, as near as I can tell, is that Guided Bombs would have to use a variant of the Lock-On rule, which is much harder to do at low levels than at high. This, in turn, throws off the standard premise that the further away you are from the target, the harder a target is to hit...

So, rules for unguided bombs first, then I will see what I can do for guided...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unguided Bombing Runs
1) Make an Easy Piloting Roll, then compare the result to the following table:
    Roll Result = Effect
    Failed by 5 or more = Too far off angle for successful bomb delivery. Must come around for another pass.
    Failed by <5 = Bad angle. Pilot may still attempt bombing run at -2D to Gunnery
    Succeed by <10 = Good angle. Pilot may attack as normal
    Succeed by 10 or more = Dead on. Pilot receives +1D bonus to Gunnery.
2) Make appropriate Gunnery Skill roll, modified by Scale to hit target.

3) If the Gunnery roll succeeds, resolve damage as normal

4) If the Gunnery roll fails, use the Grenade Scatter chart to determine direction, and the Scatter Distance stat for the bomb to determine how far off target the bomb hit (and the reduction of damage to the target itself).

Proton Bomb
Range: 100m-200m/300m/700m
Scatter Distance: 2D / 5D / 10D

In addition, unguided bombs may be dropped in "strings" or "sticks", dropping multiple bombs to increase the chances of a hit on a target. A stick of 4-6 bombs would likely result in a +2D bonus to Fire Control. This does not add any difficulty to the shot, but must be declared in advance.

Also, a bomb dropped at Point Blank Altitude will inflict half damage (5D on the bomber).

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vertical Swoop Bombing
1) Use the same procedure as Unguided Bombing Runs, but at Moderate Difficulty.

2) After dropping the bomb, the pilot must pull out of the vertical dive to avoid crashing. The Difficulty of this Maneuver is dictated by the altitude at which the bomb was dropped. Use the following chart to generate Piloting Difficulty:
    Range = Piloting Difficulty
    Long = Moderate
    Medium = Difficult
    Short = Very Difficult
    Point Blank = Heroic

Space Bomb (In Atmosphere)
Fire Arc: Front (can only be dropped using Vertical Swoop technique)
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Range: 200m-400m/800m/1.5km
Scatter Distance: 2D / 6D / 11D
Damage: 11D

Note: Multiple bombs may be fired in a single Vertical Swoop, but each bomb fired increases the Difficulty of the Pull-Up Piloting Roll by 1 level.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guided Bombing Run
1) Lock-On is required to use a Guided Bomb to its full ability. Guided bombs launched without a Lock-On must be treated as Unguided Bombs. To Lock-On in Atmosphere, divide your Search Range by 10, then convert to kilometers. Otherwise, treat this just like the Lock-On rules used for Guided Missiles. Lock-On must be held for at least one round prior to dropping the bomb. In some circumstances, Lock-On may be provided by a remote designator, such as another fighter or a special forces team.

2) Use the same procedure as Unguided Bombing Runs, but at Very Easy Difficulty.

Guided Bomb
Fire Control: 4D
Range: 500m-1km/1.5km/2.5km
Scatter Distance: 1D/1D+1/1D+2
Damage: 9D
Note: Lock-On may guide only one bomb at a time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: