The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fantasy Monsters as Alien Creatures/Sentient Races?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Fantasy Monsters as Alien Creatures/Sentient Races? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rollenspiel
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Fantasy Monsters as Alien Creatures/Sentient Races? Reply with quote

Has there been any fan conversion of fantasy monsters into D6 SW terms? I'm interested in expanding the number of "alien creature encounters" and don't want to have to reinvent the proverbial wheel if someone else has already.

Frex, I think Illithids (D&D's formidable "Mind Flayers") would make a very keen (antagonistic) sentient race from the creepy Unknown Regions of the SW galaxy, but I don't have the chops for conversion myself, sadly. On the other end of the spectrum, non-intelligent or low-intelligence organisms, like the "Carrion Crawler" or even the molds and jellies would be a great addition.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D6 Fantasy is has some fantasy creatures, as well as rules for converting the Fantasy stats over to Space (Space, Adventure and Fantasy all have different attribute and skill systems).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Herc & Xena RPG was D6 based, and had stats for quite a few creatures from Greeco-Roman Myth, including a few that were deigned as player character races.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fantasy Monsters as Alien Creatures/Sentient Races? Reply with quote

Rollenspiel wrote:
Has there been any fan conversion of fantasy monsters into D6 SW terms? I'm interested in expanding the number of "alien creature encounters" and don't want to have to reinvent the proverbial wheel if someone else has already.

Frex, I think Illithids (D&D's formidable "Mind Flayers") would make a very keen (antagonistic) sentient race from the creepy Unknown Regions of the SW galaxy, but I don't have the chops for conversion myself, sadly. On the other end of the spectrum, non-intelligent or low-intelligence organisms, like the "Carrion Crawler" or even the molds and jellies would be a great addition.

I have a version of the Illithid, i call the Hrogival. They eat brains just like illithids do, but don't have any mind powers.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Fantasy Monsters as Alien Creatures/Sentient Races? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I have a version of the Illithid, i call the Hrogival. They eat brains just like illithids do, but don't have any mind powers.

Say...Can you send me stats for those
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Here they be dragons... Reply with quote

So I ran this game once where the players ended up having to set down on this planet (not unusual...) but as they got into atmosphere they were accosted by a flying lizard of some kind and were able to evade it before finding somewhere to set down. As fate would have it, the Jedi sensed a powerful disturbance in the force and they end up encountering a dark Jedi and a group of primitives.

It was one giant spoof of Dungeons and Dragons and you can't imagine the fun my players had getting to open fire on a great red drake with a turbo laser...LOL

Here are some basic stats I came up with for them at the time...

Rutiliusadraconum

Dexterity 2D
Breath Weapon: 6D
Aerial Combat (acts as the creature's 'dodge' skill for the purposes of avoiding hits while airborne): 6D

Perception 2D+2
hide 7D

Strength 7D+2

Special Abilities:
Armor: The Rutiliusadraconum's thick hide provides it with a +2D bonus to Strength rolls made to resist damage.
Bite: A bite from a Rutiliusadraconum inflicts Strength+2D+1 (Starfighter-scale) damage.
Swallow Whole: On a successful bite attack against any creature or object of Speeder scale or smaller (If occupied, allow the players a dodge roll to avoid...), failure to dodge means the Rutiliusadraconum has swallowed its prey whole. Assume that anyone swallowed whole will die in very short order.
Tail Attack: When using its tail as a weapon, the Rutiliusadraconum inflicts Strength+1D (Starfighter-scale) damage on a successful attack.
Starfighter Scale: The Rutiliusadraconum is considered Starfighter scale.
Winged Flight: while the Rutiliusadraconum can't leave the atmosphere, they can touch the edge of space and give chase to starships and speeders if they have a mind to do so with these powerful wings.
Aerial Agility: the Rutiliusadraconum is especially agile while in flight, and gains a +1D to Dodge rolls while flying.
Breath Weapon: the Rutiliusadraconum has two glands at the back of its throat that produce a natural napalm like effect that it can spew over 75 feet, inflicting 5D starfighter scale damage...

Move: 15 (crawling), 350 kmh in flight
Size: @ 35 meters long

Last edited by Bobmalooga on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:42 am; edited 3 times in total
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not bad, actually. How about this: it gets a Dodge, but gets a bonus to dodge while flying?
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Here they be dragons... Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
Strength 7D+2

Holy snikey's Batman .... 7D+2?!?!

Bobmalooga wrote:
Armor: The Rutiliusadraconum's thick hide provides it with a +2D bonus to Strength rolls made to resist damage.

Holy batcrap ... 9D+2 (7D+2 +2D) Strength to resist damage?!?!?

Bobmalooga wrote:
Bite: A bite from a Rutiliusadraconum inflicts Strength+2D+1 (Starfighter-scale) damage.

OWCH OWCH my sphincter! 14D+2 character scale damage (7D+2 +2D+1 +6D)?!?!?

Oh wait ... its ... uh ... a dragon. As you were.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Here they be dragons... Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
...Strength 7D+2

Holy snikey's Batman ....

Holy batcrap ...

OWCH OWCH my sphincter...Oh wait ... its ... uh ... a dragon. As you were.

If memory serves, the Kryat Dragon as presented in the Special Edition source book is about the same (Minus actually being anything but an over sized iguana...) power level...

Yeah, I wanted a dragon and something that the players couldn't have killed with a hand blaster...that's why they fired on it from the ship! (LOL). I was in a game once where a player playing a Traini Ranger killed a rancor in a hand to hand battle with a force point and a decent rolls on his part...very anti-climatic...

How would you suggest the further bonus for the aerial combat?

And as always, thanks for the input Daniel!
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special Abilities
Aerial Agility: The creature is especially agile while in flight, and gains a +1D to Dodge rolls while flying.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Special Abilities
Aerial Agility: The creature is especially agile while in flight, and gains a +1D to Dodge rolls while flying.

I like that, gonna add it now!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fantasy Monsters as Alien Creatures/Sentient Races? Reply with quote

Bobmalooga wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Say...Can you send me stats for those

I never posted them here, but did post the following for them over on the SWRPGNETWORK's holonet.

Code:
The Hrogivul

Game stats:
Dex 3d+1, Know: 2d+2, Mech 3d, Per 3d, Str 3d+2, Tech 2d+1
They cannot be force sensitive, but have a force like power.
Special abilities/notes: The race can use a rudimentary telepathic skill to communicate with one another ONLY. They must eat the brains of other sentient life to gain nourishment. Failure to eat at least 1 brain per week causes the loss of 1D of attributes until death occurs.

History:
Roughly 700 years before the scourge of the Empire, the Hrogivul made there first of 7 appearances. They plagued on the outer rim area for over 4 years, until they just upped and left. Over 3 planets were left stripped of whole populations. Then again 177 years later, this time in the core systems, but the Old republic sent them packing within 5 months. Their third appearance was 8 months before the events of the Novel Cloak of deception, but as they were in a far off system (with in what became the minos cluster), little was heard about it, but over 200 ships went “missing”. The forth was during the time of the rebellion, and thankfully only 1 of these creatures main ships was seen, then it left. The fifth was during the height of the thrawn crisis; again, one of the capital ships showed up, then left. The 6th, and what was hopped the last, was just before the Black fleet crisis. They showed up in force, near bilbringii, but left, after snatching 3 cruise liners. The last and most recent, was 2 months after the fall of Ithor to the Vong. 3 of their capital ships have been sighted, in Vong areas, just before the vong hit.

Little is known about these critters appearance, or reasons for doing what they do. As no one has every seen one and lived, it can only be speculated on, whether their captives are alive when they eat the brains of them.

Unfortunatly i threw away the piece of paper that had the rest of the notes i made for these guys.......

shootingwomprats wrote:
Special Abilities

I might also add in

Languages 9d.. Dragons are well known for speaking many different tongues.
Mental abilities, some dragons are spell casters, or psionic. So maybe they could have some 'powers akin' to force abilities.
Claws. Dragons are always noted for their claw attacks as well as their bite.

On the breath weapon, i might be inclined to make it akin to a 'deck sweeper' where it has 'range brackets'. Anyone in the first bracket gets no dodge, 2nd bracket has a -2d to dodge, while those in the last get full.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fantasy Monsters as Alien Creatures/Sentient Races? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The Hrogivul...

I might also add in...

On the breath weapon, i might be inclined to make it akin to a 'deck sweeper' where it has 'range brackets'. Anyone in the first bracket gets no dodge, 2nd bracket has a -2d to dodge, while those in the last get full.

I didn't give them the ability to speak or force like powers because I didn't want anyone in my game to confuse them for star-dragons (Which is about as ridiculous a concept as one can get...) I was going more 'Dragonslayer' or 'Reign of Fire' than 'Dragonheart'...

I like the deck sweeping aspect thought...gonna have to use that.

Lovin' the Hrogivul btw...
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A major setting in my game is a planet that has mysterious hypersapient dragons. There also is a Dragonborn-like species which is a playable PC race. I love dragons.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
A major setting in my game is a planet that has mysterious hypersapient dragons. There also is a Dragonborn-like species which is a playable PC race. I love dragons.

Thats cool, I just don't like the Star Dragons as presented in the books...I thought it went for the big and powerful looking creature who can rip star destroyers apart and blah, blah, blah...And if Star Wars really taught us anything about all that it was that size matters not and that it really isn't how big you are that makes you powerful, but what you do with the power that's important.

I did a version of Star Dragons in a game and made them the size of pseudo dragons from AD&D, the players had been blathering on about running into one and taking one out so much that when they finally met one it took the wind out of their sails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: