The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Doc wagon contracts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Doc wagon contracts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Doc wagon contracts Reply with quote

In shadowrun (it has been there from the get go i believe) there is this company called Doc Wagon, which can sell contracts to 'runners (and other folk) where the companies people come to YOU when you get severely injured, to provide medical assistance.

IF something like that was done for SW, do you think it would be more of a planet based only? Star system only?
What would its cost be/yr?
Anything else you could offer?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarMed brings you the best in medical care, whereever you are! One press of a commlink will send StarMed services straight to your location!

Don't just believe us, look at what our customers say!

"I'd just been stabbed with a vibroknife. One press of my commlink and StarMed was right at the cantina and patched me up in minutes!"

"I went into labor on my way to work. I knew what to do. I set my speeder down, called StarMed, and they got to me in seconds. Six healthy pups, and it's all thanks to StarMed!

StarMed: Medical Care, Everywhere!
Availability restricted by StarMed facilities. Not all planets are covered. Contact a StarMed representative for more information.

StarMed is a corporation dedicated to providing emergency medical care to beings all over the galaxy - at a cost, of course. The difference between StarMed and a regular planetary emergency medical service is night and day. StarMed keeps actual doctors on their crew, where as a planetary emergency crew usually consists of beings that are only trained to stabilize a patient enough to get them to a hospital. StarMed also uses the latest in mobile technology and medical tech to repair injuries on-site, whereas a planetary group is hindered by local governmental funding.

Speaking of funding, StarMed is a private corporation. While this means that a being has to pay for services, it also means that StarMed isn't bound or loyal to a certain government or species. StarMed takes its call seriously, and will not refuse service to anyone as long as their contract is current.

StarMed began service shortly after the close of the Clone Wars, and took advantage of Corporate Sector backing and funding to get off the ground. It has enjoyed incredible success in the Corporate Sector, so much so that within the space of just a few years it has expanded its influence and service outside the Corporate Sector. It's even rumored that the Emperor himself has a sponsored contract. Nevertheless, StarMed is quickly becoming a household name via an aggressive HoloNet advertising strategy.

StarMed's services are simple. Contracts are sold in levels: One, Two, or Three. A Level Three contract is simple planetary service, anytime. The customer hits their comlink, and StarMed dispatches an armored airspeeder to them, guaranteed to their location within five minutes. A Level Two contract is system-wide, and StarMed guarantees a response within an hour. A Level One contract, the most expensive by far, has no guarantee on time, but covers a sector. StarMed is attempting to proliferate as much of the galaxy as it can, but due to the civil war, is making slow progress.

I'll begin statting in a while. This is good.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm,

First off the area encompassed would have to be limited by how fast they can get to you. If it takes then 2 days to reach you and you are still alive, you probably didn't need them. So I'd think the service would probably be limited to a single population center (city), or so.

Secondary, there is the relationship with the authorities to consider. In a Cyberpunk setting there is a lot of corporate infighting and backstabbing going on, and the "Ambulance" service can remain a neutral party, or one that is working on behalf of a client. In Star Wars, that just isn't going to work in the Empire or in Hutt Space. The first time an Ambulance opens up on Stormtroopers to get to a wounded rebel, it would all be over. So some sort of arrangement with the authorities would be required. The Empire (and local authorities) probably trump the rescue service.

Now the Corporate Sector could be an ideal location for this type of service. Most likely on a planet that is run by more than one company.

Cost would depend on just what type of medical aid provided. Do they bring a bacta tank, or just some medpacs? Do they have mercs along who help to extract the injured from a firefight, or just a medical team who won't get involved in the fighting?

The more they have to do the more it should cost. Actual billing might consist of a nominal monthly fee for the service, plus additional charges when the service is actually used. That way someone who gets into a lot of fights (like a Bounty Hunter), and make a lot of calls, would still be worth having as a client
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it as a paramilitary organization. StarMed(it's what I'm going with, I'm on a roll now) hires ex-military and mercenaries to cover hostile extractions. A StarMed airspeeder has the equipment necessary to heal a being of most any injury right there. Things like amputations or critical injuries require extraction to a secure facility for care.

As for governmental affiliation, there shouldn't be one. If StarMed is called in to a conflict, their insignia should be enough to know that a VIP has been injured, and that StarMed will not engage unless fired upon. The usual medical rules apply here - StarMed is a medical provider, therefore most won't fire upon them. After all, you don't want to shoot the hand that holds the scalpel.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real world note: Large cities with traffic issues (particularly Los Angeles) have been fielding rapid-response medics on motorcycles. This is particularly useful in traffic jams caused by accidents, as the motorcycles can weave through stalled traffic to respond to incidents where ambulances can't. That's a specific example, but a medic mounted on a motorcycle has other uses...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehhhh.... Just Call in Mother, Jugs, and Speed.......Wink
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Real world note: Large cities with traffic issues (particularly Los Angeles) have been fielding rapid-response medics on motorcycles. This is particularly useful in traffic jams caused by accidents, as the motorcycles can weave through stalled traffic to respond to incidents where ambulances can't. That's a specific example, but a medic mounted on a motorcycle has other uses...

It would make sense in busy starports to have medics on swoops or speeder bikes, for the SW equivalent.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starmed.. I like the name.
Though rather than differentiate the 'levels by locale', hows about level of response and treatment. Sort of like the gold, silver, platinum for doc wagon.
Sort of a
silver - lowest cost. Won't go into hazardous territory without you paying for injuries TO starmed staff, 2/rescues a year

Gold - medium cost. Will go in at a discount. 4 a year

and so on.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works.

StarMed's services are simple. Contracts are sold in levels: One, Two, or Three.
A Level Three contract is simple planetary service, anytime. The customer hits their comlink, and StarMed dispatches an armored airspeeder to them, as long as there is no apparent danger. Any injuries to StarMed staff will result in a penalty to the contract holder. There is a limit of two calls allowed per standard galactic year without penalty.

A Level Two contract allows for a little more leeway. StarMed professionals will extract a contract holder depending upon assessment of danger. The penalty for StarMed staff being harmed is lesser. StarMed will also perform three extractions per galactic standard year without penalty.

A Level One contract, the most expensive by far, covers any extraction, at any time, regardless of present danger. There are no penalties for StarMed staff injury, and there are no limits to how many extractions can be called at any time.

Sound good?
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.

Now to price it out.
In shadow run, a 1 yr doc wagon contract runs something like
5000 Nuyen for basic
25k for gold
50k for platinum and
100k for super platinum.

So for an SW realm i could see a 10k/50k/100k/250k breakdown
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For prices like that, players will have to quickly find out a way to fund it.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, money acquisition is part of the game!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: