The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Imperial Navy ?'s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Imperial Navy ?'s Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HalcyonDaze
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Imperial Navy ?'s Reply with quote

Hi everyone. First time poster, couple-month reader here. I just have a question regarding canon or accepted facts about some SW things. A lot of material has been added to this world since I was a regular player of this game 20 years ago so I’m not sure..

First, is the Imperial Customs Service/Bureau part of the Imperial Navy or is it a separate entity?

Second, is the Imperial Navy a volunteer force or is it a conscript force or a mix of the two? I assume the officers would be volunteer or graduates of an academy but the enlisted? And do they generally have the same rank structure as the American Navy?

I'm sure all of this is in one of the many source books that have come out ove the years but I don't have access to most of them, or at least the one that might have the answers to the questions I just asked. Thank you.
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Imperial Navy ?'s Reply with quote

HalcyonDaze wrote:
Hi everyone. First time poster, couple-month reader here. I just have a question regarding canon or accepted facts about some SW things. A lot of material has been added to this world since I was a regular player of this game 20 years ago so I’m not sure..

Wecpome to the site and back to the game

HalcyonDaze wrote:
First, is the Imperial Customs Service/Bureau part of the Imperial Navy or is it a separate entity?

I do believe is a sub-branch, technically under the navys perveiw

HalcyonDaze wrote:

Second, is the Imperial Navy a volunteer force or is it a conscript force or a mix of the two? I assume the officers would be volunteer or graduates of an academy but the enlisted? And do they generally have the same rank structure as the American Navy?

A mix, though, heavy on the conscripts. volunteer were often given preferential treatment, or at least it was adveratized they would be.

HalcyonDaze wrote:

I'm sure all of this is in one of the many source books that have come out ove the years but I don't have access to most of them, or at least the one that might have the answers to the questions I just asked. Thank you.

All this is covered in the Imperial Source Book, you may be able to purchase a copy online and in used book stores.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Imperial Navy ?'s Reply with quote

HalcyonDaze wrote:

Hi HalcyonDaze. Welcome to the Pit.

You are welcome to ask questions here, but as another resource I thought I would point out that Wookieepedia is your friend too.

According to Wookieepedia, "Imperial Customs had to answer to the Commerce agency of COMPNOR" and "worked closely with the Imperial Navy."

There is not a single instance of the word "conscript" in Wookieepedia's article on the Imperial Navy, and from my quick review, conscription does not appear to have been used to fill the ranks of the navy. The ranking system is discussed there.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Imperial Navy ?'s Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
HalcyonDaze wrote:

Hi HalcyonDaze. Welcome to the Pit.

You are welcome to ask questions here, but as another resource I thought I would point out that Wookieepedia is your friend too.

According to Wookieepedia, "Imperial Customs had to answer to the Commerce agency of COMPNOR" and "worked closely with the Imperial Navy."

There is not a single instance of the word "conscript" in Wookieepedia's article on the Imperial Navy, and from my quick review, conscription does not appear to have been used to fill the ranks of the navy. The ranking system is discussed there.

Do note that depends on, the canon, used on the conscription.... with someone like palpy, in power, it is likely, as well weg metions it with their produts for the rpg. the main thing to rememer is the "Canon" is so convoluted now thanks to retcons and such, it boils down to 1. what you like. and 2. what you don't like. and 3. what you choose to to use. and 4. what you choose to not use. so 1. by what weg books wrote yes the imps indeed used conscription. and 2. such a thing is not beyond a tyranical power like the the galactic empire.

As a Side note since anyone can edit it.. wookieepedia is suspect to me.......... its useful, but i've seen things that do not belong period in star wars and/or fit "personal opinion" and not even ""T" canon"......... on there... YMMV.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pit, HalcyonDaze! Great that you're coming back to the game!

One nice thing coming soon for the SWU (which has become quite convoluted over the year) is the creation of the Story Group. Whereas before this group there were all these 'levels' of canon (depending on the source), there is now (very soon) going to be "canon" and "non-canon" (of which much of the latter will be "Legends" material).

Of course you're free to pick and choose what you like for your own personal Star Wars universe! Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know from the novels Carida was one place the imps had a training academy to school new troops, so that there shows not all were clones. We also know both Han and Luke put into go to imperial academies at some point prior to ANH..
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
We know from the novels Carida was one place the imps had a training academy to school new troops, so that there shows not all were clones. We also know both Han and Luke put into go to imperial academies at some point prior to ANH..

Correct, garhkal, Anaxes was another. though it was reportedly the more prestigious of the two. Likely many others.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
One nice thing coming soon for the SWU (which has become quite convoluted over the year) is the creation of the Story Group. Whereas before this group there were all these 'levels' of canon (depending on the source), there is now (very soon) going to be "canon" and "non-canon" (of which much of the latter will be "Legends" material).

Wookieepedia does differentiate between EU "Legends" and Story Group "Canon" articles, so some things have two articles, one for each (the canon ones are usually shorter). For articles with both versions, they conveniently have tabs to switch back and forth.

Panzerjedi wrote:
Do note that depends on, the canon, used on the conscription.... with someone like palpy, in power, it is likely, as well weg metions it with their produts for the rpg. the main thing to rememer is the "Canon" is so convoluted now thanks to retcons and such, it boils down to 1. what you like. and 2. what you don't like. and 3. what you choose to to use. and 4. what you choose to not use. so 1. by what weg books wrote yes the imps indeed used conscription. and 2. such a thing is not beyond a tyranical power like the the galactic empire.

As a Side note since anyone can edit it.. wookieepedia is suspect to me.......... its useful, but i've seen things that do not belong period in star wars and/or fit "personal opinion" and not even ""T" canon"......... on there... YMMV.

I did not read the OP as asking "according to WEG" so I didn't answer strictly referring to WEG, but in re-reading his reference to sourcebooks I can now see that may have been his intent. He wasn't asking "How is it in your own personal SWU?"

Wookieepedia is a good starting point but I agree it is not always the end of the discussion. Yes, retcons do occur and if the article is correct and up-to-date, then yes it may not mention the way it was back in WEG before it was retconned by the later EU. But a lot of EU articles still refer to WEG so it hasn't all been retconned.

For my personal SWU, I sometimes reject the modern EU in favor of WEG, so please provide a WEG source establishing that the Imperial Navy uses conscription. I have the entire catalogue so I'd love to read up on that some more. Thanks.

garhkal wrote:

Yes, but they were talking about conscription, not clones.

DougRed4 wrote:
Of course you're free to pick and choose what you like for your own personal Star Wars universe! Smile

Amen Smile
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wookieepedia does differentiate between EU "Legends" and Story Group "Canon" articles, so some things have two articles, one for each (the canon ones are usually shorter). For articles with both versions, they conveniently have tabs to switch back and forth.

Trues.... Useful.... Buut not the be all end all. Some times mistakes get put up which ya gota sift through.

Panzerjedi wrote:
Do note that depends on, the canon, used on the conscription.... with someone like palpy, in power, it is likely, as well weg mentions it with their produts for the rpg. the main thing to remember is the "Canon" is so convoluted now thanks to retcons and such, it boils down to 1. what you like. and 2. what you don't like. and 3. what you choose to to use. and 4. what you choose to not use. so 1. by what weg books wrote yes the imps indeed used conscription. and 2. such a thing is not beyond a tyranical power like the the galactic empire.

Whill wrote:
Wookieepedia is a good starting point but I agree it is not always the end of the discussion. Yes, retcons do occur and if the article is correct and up-to-date, then yes it may not mention the way it was back in WEG before it was retconned by the later EU.

I did not read the OP as asking "according to WEG" or "How is it in your own personal SWU?" so I did not answer that way.

For my personal SWU, I sometimes reject the modern EU in favor of WEG, so please provide a WEG source for establishing that the Imperial Navy uses conscription. I have the entire catalogue so I'd love to read up on that some more.

Note I was being all encompusing, since he has not played in 20 years much, I was goin on what he knows best.

As for Conscription: Example, though it is the Army, In the Army Now adventure in the WEG Adventure Jounals had Rebels Playing the Part of Imperial Army Conscripts on a covert mission, Navywise, Pirates and Privateers AND Far Orbit Project Touch on Naval Conscription, Far Orbit more so..... the Thrawn Trilogy, though in empires later death throw years, Speaks on how the Imps were so desperate for men, as much or more then material, that they just "Impressed" Folks, "Old time British Royal Navy-Style", in any port they could, it'll take some time to hunt up the page refereances but they are there....
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to imply that I was decisively concluding that the Imperial Navy didn't use conscription just because of the lack of it being mentioned in one Wookieepedia article. I did attempt to use conditional language, but not so successfully I think.

Panzerjedi wrote:
As for Conscription: Example, though it is the Army, In the Army Now adventure in the WEG Adventure Jounals had Rebels Playing the Part of Imperial Army Conscripts on a covert mission, Navywise, Pirates and Privateers AND Far Orbit Project Touch on Naval Conscription, Far Orbit more so..... the Thrawn Trilogy, though in empires later death throw years...

THANKS! I'm interested in the pre-Endor Empire, and I should state that I tend to assume that is the basis of discussion if not specified.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I didn't mean to imply that I was decisively concluding that the Imperial Navy didn't use conscription just because of the lack of it being mentioned in one Wookieepedia article. I did attempt to use conditional language, but not so successfully I think.

Panzerjedi wrote:
As for Conscription: Example, though it is the Army, In the Army Now adventure in the WEG Adventure Jounals had Rebels Playing the Part of Imperial Army Conscripts on a covert mission, Navywise, Pirates and Privateers AND Far Orbit Project Touch on Naval Conscription, Far Orbit more so..... the Thrawn Trilogy, though in empires later death throw years...

THANKS! I'm interested in the pre-Endor Empire, and I should state that I tend to assume that is the basis of discussion if not specified.

Oh it ok i tend to be very specific some times in interpeting languague (asbergers.... ).....but yes the two books being set also pre endor do have some of the info you seek..... and mentions it, and as i said far orbit has it in more detail..... I'm glad i was of assistance, though. Smile

[Edit: One Reason i listed the Thrawn Trilogy, is for others who may not be familiar with the materials benefit...... which is important to keep d6 as a game alive in my mind.... not every one knows of all this material.... and what it is, or where to locate it Smile]
HalcyonDaze
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I went and spent some time looking through Wookiepedia and the d6 holocron wiki linked in another thread. Holy smokes, I had no idea that there was so much stuff generated for this universe! I suppose the prequels lent a whole lot of material to the canon.

Honestly, I passed on the prequels when they came out (for the usual reasons) and didn't actually see them until just a couple of weeks ago. I suppose that might of been what has got me thinking about this game again. We did all of our SW role-playing before episode I, right when the Timothy Zahn book were being released. So I suppose yes, I was asking about "according to WEG," as that's the only system I ever used.

Anyhow, these questions came to mind because I had some time on my hands the other night during a bout of insomnia and was looking though the old book I still have (blue cover with DV on the front) and started generating some characters, just for kicks and to pass the time. I was thinking of some backstory for this one guy I made and those questions I asked were part of it.

Thank you for all the info though. This will provide hours of surfing content, no doubt...
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're VERY Welcome. And indeed. plese feel free to post on the pit, or pm any of of us here were friendly and helpful, despite the name "The Rancor Pit". Very Happy Wink
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Zahn trilogy there is conscription in the Imp navy, yes, even officers.

Starting with Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which was written and published before Empire Strikes Back, the Flannelled One made no attempts to retain continuity in the SWU. There is too much conflicting material to use all of it. You're going to have to pick and choose what you want to be your Star Wars Universe.

I recommend the Zahn Trilogy, Stackpole and Allston's X-Wing books, I, Jedi and the Original Trilogy as a good solid base. YMMV
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kytross wrote:
There is too much conflicting material to use all of it. You're going to have to pick and choose what you want to be your Star Wars Universe.

He ain't lyin'!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: