The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules for Fighter combat?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Rules for Fighter combat?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hongxiquan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Rules for Fighter combat? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm developing a game which is going to focus around starfighter scale combat (with some starfighter vs cap stuff if it comes to that).

Is there anything that streamlines the d6 combat rules to account for say 6-7 players in individual fighters? I am in the process of reviewing my 2e Star Wars core but it has been a while.

I was also thinking of a fighter combat system where we only really use a map for part of the combat. The first parts of the combat would be maneuvering and tactical rolls to format how the actual shooting part will come out.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably want to look up Fallon Kell or IM him. He's on infrequently, but this is somewhat a specialty of his.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rules for Fighter combat? Reply with quote

hongxiquan wrote:
Hi,

I'm developing a game which is going to focus around starfighter scale combat (with some starfighter vs cap stuff if it comes to that).

Is there anything that streamlines the d6 combat rules to account for say 6-7 players in individual fighters? I am in the process of reviewing my 2e Star Wars core but it has been a while.

I was also thinking of a fighter combat system where we only really use a map for part of the combat. The first parts of the combat would be maneuvering and tactical rolls to format how the actual shooting part will come out.

Hi. Man, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of WEG Star Warriors: Starfighter Combat in the Star Wars Universe. It had space grid/maps and lots of little square cardboard ships, etc. It was directly translatable to 1E starfighter combat, and would probably at least be inspirational to a 2E version.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
hongxiquan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so after actually looking at the 2e space combat rules of "do interesting stuff" I'm guessing what I am building is a somewhat narrative, somewhat mechanical implementation of starfighter combat.

Initiative Phase: When the fight breaks out we check for advantages. Are the fighters in their bays or already deployed, who has terrain advantage (I don't even know if this is really a thing) Whoever has the most things in their favour has initiative. I'm guessing an opposed tactics roll here would be good.

Here we determine how the vs works up.

Maneuvering Phase: Opposed piloting rolls (combined rolls?) to see how this goes. Alliance vs Empire fighter situation will always have Empire fighters outnumbering PCs so there needs to be some kind of control there.

The maneuvering phase sets up the shooting part. Whoever gets the better roll gets x numbers of advantages (shots vs rear arcs, range, etc)

Shooting Phase: Resolve all the shooting parts.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rebellion Sourcebook has some flavor text and a few maneuver rules for starfighter combat, certainly not a comprehensive mass starfighter scale system, but some inspiration none the less
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Rancor Pit, hongxiquan! Are you going with 2E, or 2R&E?

@Whill: Thanks for the reminder about that Star Warriors game. I might have to go grab me one of those! If nothing else, it would give me the black hex map (with starfield background)!

@klhaviation: I didn't realize the Rebellion Sourcebook had such stuff. I'll have to take a peek at mine when I get home. Do you happen to know where that part is?
hongxiquan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

@Whill: Thanks for the reminder about that Star Warriors game. I might have to go grab me one of those! If nothing else, it would give me the black hex map (with starfield background)!

@klhaviation: I didn't realize the Rebellion Sourcebook had such stuff. I'll have to take a peek at mine when I get home. Do you happen to know where that part is?

2R&E is the core I have. I'm changing part of the engine regarding CP (especially the ability to burn CP for extra dice which is bad) and force points (by adding in a different subsystem for that bit)

The major goal here is to derive a system which isn't fully narrative (like the book suggests) but has some mechanical bits that drive it.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

Chapter 5 page 68.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, klh!
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klhaviation wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

Chapter 5 page 68.

Now that I'm taking a look there's a lot there that I'd sort of passed over before (and never read). Looks like lots of fun and interesting stuff. Thanks for the heads-up, klhaviation! 8)
hongxiquan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://utrpg.memethief.com/Space_Combat_Mechanics

Well this is what I have so far. Thanks for the rebellion sourcebook info, that gives me a better idea for phase flow. Let me know what you guys think or if there's something else I should add.
klhaviation
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I briefly read it over. A good start for more strategic fighter combat. I would suggest to integrate character roles into the rules. The wingman position supporting the lead, "fakeout" maneuvers like the bracket or drag maneuver. Using a series of "skill challange" maneuvers to complete a task. This makes it less a boardgame and more a cinematic adventure, it also gives easch member of the squadron a task. Writing these maneuvers could be loosly based on the starfighter chapter of the rebellion sb, but untegrating some of your ideas. Making sf combat a series of coporative tasks keeps the game moving abd orevents crunch rule bloat.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did up a dogfighting system awhile back. I'll see if I can dig up the sheets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: