The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

how do I define Time & Movement in the Game?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> how do I define Time & Movement in the Game? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamezdude
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: how do I define Time & Movement in the Game? Reply with quote

I noticed some Skills can be specialized on and it states a time.

How would I state time in the game, how would you normally do it.

Also with movement, we are not using a board/map, so how would I go about moving distances?

Cheers
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest explanation is theater of the mind. For some gamers, that may not be enough though, so for chases, etc where distances are important, a simple distance grid works. Mark a sheet of paper with the ranges, extreme, long, medium and short. Associate difficulty from there for taking shots and rely on opposed piloting rolls, with outside influence modifying checks to move closer or pull away. As to the time taken, what I tend to do is pick an arbitrary number out of the sky for how many rounds or hours something will take and go from there. For the hours option..say, rebuilding the poor R2 that caught a light repeater blaster bolt, 8-10 hours. If theres nothing going on during that time, just state that if the player starts on the repairs, thats what he'll be doing during down time or hyperspace travel. In combat, well, keep track of the rounds after you declare how many it will take...say 6 rounds to hotwire a blast door on a forest moon. If the char does other things that detract from that...shooting, dodging, then the round doesn't count.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

often for time sensitive situations, i have pens/pencils on top of my screen (if i have one out, or counters when i don't) marking the # of rounds till x happens.

As for movement, often i use those hex map grids. 1 hex for 5m, sometimes i drop it to 1 hex for 2m.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, welcome to the Pit, Gamezdude!
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly related... I've never paid special attention to the one-pip-at-a-time improvement rules (unless it's an attribute), or the time to increase a skill (ditto), and only focused on the need-for-a-teacher if the skill is uncommon. I've always felt that if players have the CP to spend, they should be able to.

Partly, this is because we only meet rarely (once a month at present), and so it may be several months or more before a campaign or adventure is finished; if I kept things this way, most characters would only be able to advance their characters a few pips per real-time year! Shocked

On the other hand, I've started to wonder if there was a practical reason I was missing that would make enforcement a good idea; I do end up with a number of- what was the term, Bulletproof Wookies? Or else just Matrix-dodgers who can seemingly avoid blaster shots as if they were traveling in slow motion. Not sure whether the cause was ignoring the time-for-improvement and one-pip rules, or if it was just because they chose to focus on blaster and dodge and high strength attribute at time of character creation.

Do you all abide by the rule? And if not, have you ever seen any issues or reasons WHY it is important to enforce for gameplay balance?

Hard core OT, all the way!
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I've always gone about it as a player is if I used the skill during the adventure session, it gets priority to put a pip into. I've never asked to put more than one pip into a skill per adventure, because beyond that is a bit...silly.

I've always based it on how tough the task was...If my char has4 dice in a skill, then I don't bother raising it unless I can recall using it at an important moment, or under extreme circumstances. This, I find, keeps from a character getting bloated...

As I GM, I suggest this route to new players, or novices, and I haven't had any problems with bullet proof Wookies or the Matrix entering my universe.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How-so, silly? I ask, because I've never had a player that only wanted to put one pip in a skill at a time... after all, if it only costs 3 CP to move a skill to 3D+1, and the character has amassed 20 or more CP, why *not* use 9 to move it up to 4D instead (in their head). If I understood your rationale for only desiring limited improvement as a player, maybe I could explain it more easily to my own players...

Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, bear in mind this is a broad paintbrush.

Say you are an ok shot (3d). You wake up one day, years into your life (say 30 cp saved up) and decide 'I'm gonna be a ace sniper!' So you dump cp into your firearms skill (I know, being broad here) to raise it up to be a fairly good shot (5d+1 for 26 of your cp, almost doubling your skill). So...folding this to real world training time...how long would that take...an afternoon contemplating how to aim, or multitudes of hours and pounds of brass shells shot down range?

Granted, some flex makes sense for oncw-a-month games, maybe cap progression at a die instead of a pip in a skill.

Another way to look at it is this...if the players can jump straight to what they want, what's their drive after they get there? They get bored with the game or start to think of ways to 'entertain' themselves...
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fair point. I think most of my players haven't thought of 3 as 'fairly good' is one of the main issues. I think a die-cap as you suggest (with 1 pip-cap in appropriate areas...) may be a good balance.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarm R'keeg wrote:

On the other hand, I've started to wonder if there was a practical reason I was missing that would make enforcement a good idea; I do end up with a number of- what was the term, Bulletproof Wookies? Or else just Matrix-dodgers who can seemingly avoid blaster shots as if they were traveling in slow motion. Not sure whether the cause was ignoring the time-for-improvement and one-pip rules, or if it was just because they chose to focus on blaster and dodge and high strength attribute at time of character creation.

Do you all abide by the rule? And if not, have you ever seen any issues or reasons WHY it is important to enforce for gameplay balance?

Its cause of the reasons you stated that they were wrote into the rules. To prevent players advancing their PCs so quickly. Heck with the CP some around here seem to hand out (10+) it would take maybe 4 gaming sessions for someone to boost a starting 6d dodge to 8d if they were able to advance it more than once at a time/ignore time restrictions etc..

As for me, i do use the rule in the book that if you used the skill, time is not an issue to raise, but if not, then it takes time to raise it up. If you are learning it the teacher needs 2d above you to teach you.
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And is that defined by chapter, or by module? I.E. there are multiple adventures in Operation: Elrood, Supernova, Introductory Adventure Set, etc.- is it one pip between those individual Supernova adventures, for instance, or only one pip at the end of completing the entire Supernova book?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a module such as those listed, i have always gone 1 pip per skill for the entire adventure. Some longer ones i could see splitting up into '2' chapters where each would count.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've typically gone every game session. I suppose that makes me a bit more lax than Garhkal, but I find its a happy medium for progression.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always enforced the rules as written, for the very reasons Ral pointed out (one doesn't go to the range one day and emerge a master sniper). Likewise a person can't become a doctor overnight, or become an expert on alien cultures, or go from being an ordinary pilot to an extraordinary one.

As in real life, it takes time and effort.

As far as the once a month playing, that's how often we play and it's worked out just fine (as others have said, if they use the skill this means they can raise it without waiting for time to pass). Despite what garhkal pointed out, I don't think I hand out excessive CP (I do exactly what the RAW suggests, giving out usually 15 CP after two solid sessions of play).

And 3D is Average level of training for a Human (so your postman who's been delivering the mail for the last decade is probably about 3D) according to the RAW (2R&E p. 207).
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I know that it's average- I just don't think that most of my players would consider it something to be happy with. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: