The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Vocal Coaching
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Vocal Coaching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Vocal Coaching Reply with quote

I'll be the first to admit I'm not the greatest character actor in the world. One of the things that really sells a character is if you can do a distinctive voice or mannerism for them. What sorts of quirks/voices do you do for your NPCs?

On most my NPC's I generally write a 1 sentence description of their speaking voice to help me get back into them whenever I've got a lot of interactions that have to play out.

For example:
ZFX-32 is almost sarcastic, not quite impolite. Typically refers to PCs as "Boss"

BNQ-ES is polite, effeminite, though (this came out of RP) contemptous of pcs who don't take care of themselves. Voice is high & nasal.

Mel Barshos is Informal, speaks with her hands a great deal,

Pel Joloon speaks slowly as an old man, voice is low in the throat, under the tongue.

Moff Aliet measures each sentence carefully unless upset, pauses frequently, tries not to display emotion.

I'm looking for more things to do with my voice, without ripping off known characters. I'm still pretty unhappy with Kellak my quarren-- WAY too much Zoidberg in there. The big issue I expect to have a number of vocal interactions with the Igatic, and I need to thematically tie 8-10 voices together yet still vary them each.

Any ideas either for just my regular session or as a post-production thing would be great
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my Imperial officers have a British accent.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often try to go with Germanic accents for my imperial officers. But it often comes out Russian. I would LOVE to do some of the more off the wall English accents, such as Yorkshire, Cornish, Scouse, but usually those come out Irish or Scottish.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing with compressing my larynx, or my nose to give a different vocal quality, but I'm not terribly satisfied with either.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive wanted to take some language courses in how to sound like you are from country X or region Y before, to make it easier to DO these accents.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To do a good English accent its a southern accent without the lilt (crazy, huh?)
Zarm R'keeg
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally know this feeling. I've started to play more with back of the throat/closing off the throat stuff, but it is pretty killer. I had a Trandoshan who the PCs kept baiting into conversation to get me to do the voice more, and started answering every conversational attempt with just the word "No" because my throat was killing me.

I've also tried hitching my tongue to different spots in my mouth (upper-left, lower-right, planted in my cheek), shifting my jaw to one side or the other, or curling a lip... which often create more varied performances (though about half of them are useless). Just an idea.

Hard core OT, all the way!
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To do a good English accent its a southern accent without the lilt (crazy, huh?)

As an Englishman, No...just no Smile

Xain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: