The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Soooo, after the prequels...What do your players know?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Soooo, after the prequels...What do your players know?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Soooo, after the prequels...What do your players know? Reply with quote

Just a general question, but since the prequels have been added to the mix now, what exactly do your players know? How public a figure is Darth Vader? How much do any of them know about the Jedi extermination? how much did it effect your version of the clone wars or did it change things at all?

Not that I've allowed my players to use off game knowledge, but I had a player, who wrote into his history (with my blessing...) that he was the nephew of Padme and grew up in the shadow of her death with the family never getting the full story of what exactly happened or how she died. There were a couple of funny moments where he met (after joining the Rebellion...) Luke and Leia and when asked by him if the events in the movie accurately portrayed events in the game I replied that the clone wars didn't happen quite like that in my universe...I've never really gotten into what happened (since we've always played Rebellion Era or post Rebellion era games...) but my thought was that Episode 1 happened a couple of years earlier, with anakin being a couple of years older...And that the breakdown in the relationship between him and Padme happened when Palpatine insinuated a relationship between her and Obi-Wan (It didn't happen...but when she turned up pregnant...) this added to the 'we want you to spy on your friend Palpatine' bit causes him to turn against the order and eventually become Darth Vader.

The other big thing that I had done (and this was in the years before the prequels...) was that Palpatine and Vader were part of a group of Sith (totaling 13 masters and apprentices) carving up sectors of the galaxy for themselves with Palpatine at the head of the table leading everything...This came from the many rumors that surfaced in the between time of the original series of movies and the prequels. Since the Sith were so ill-defined it made a certain amount of sense to me...When the prequels came out I had a player turn to me and ask, "How does the rule of two effect our game since we've run into other sith?"

I replied that George Lucas's Star Wars was his and mine was mine...LOL
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the prequels and consider them part of the backstory of my campaign. But my players's characters don't really know any of that (we're about 1 BBY right now).
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: not so relevant imc Reply with quote

My general approach with all six films is that they are basically "victors' history", Alliance (i.e. the "New Republic" in the EU) propaganda/institutional myth. So Vader's treachery/redemption is part of the founding myth of the Alliance, like George Washington stories. I've sketched out some "real truth" changes for the prequels but never fully compiled them.

Last edited by Barrataria on Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually try to limit what in game knowledge players have from reading the books/watching the films. Some of it may be common knowledge, while other stuff will definitely not be known by the regular man.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My players know everything from the films they have watched. 8)

In my SWU, the events of the prequels happened pretty much as portrayed in the films, except that the personal interactions of Padme, Anakin and Mace Windu with each other and other characters were more realistic and less like the bad acting they were sometimes portrayed with in films.

I see Anakin crossing over to the Dark Side was more like a demonic possession came over him when he choose to cut off Windu's hand. I still see the 'I need him' but at the moment of slicing him being more angry at Mace for almost taking Palpatine away from him. And there was no remorseful sobbing 'what have I done?' before a robotic 'Yes, I agree the Jedi's next move will be against the Senate'. If there was any kind of 'what have I done?' moment, it would have been more of a painful personal inner struggle where the good Anakin persona is trying to regain control but the Dark Side of course maintains control. Then when Palpatine tells him he must go kill all the Jedi in the Temple, Vader is more determined to take revenge against the Jedi for their perceived treatment of him, with maybe even a crazy glint in his eye and the beginning of an evil grin.

So basically, Anakin still had to choose the Dark Side, but once he did it immediately started to take over and form the evil Vader persona. Later after Vader kills all the Separatist leaders, maybe the Anakin persona did react and cause him to cry like in the film, but Vader regained control and returned to anger when Padme's ship is landing. More of a 'What is she doing here? I told her to stay on Coruscant!' sort of thing. I don't know if Hayden Christiansen could have pulled any of this off, but I am sure that Lucas couldn't have directed it. Lucas is a cinematic genius but just not very good at directing human performances. "Let's do it again and this time faster, with more intensity" just doesn't always cut it.

Of course many other things happened in the prequel time period beyond what is shown in the films, some from deleted scenes and EU and other things of my own device, as background, explanations, perceived contradiction solutions, etc. The AOTC deleted scene with Padme's parents and sister helps support the unconvincing love story. And in my SWU, the medical droid that said Padme had lost her will to live was simply incorrect (what does a droid know about the human will to live?). Padme was actually killed by Dark Side energy from Anakin, which the droid wouldn't be able to determine. Some of these things are known to my players, and some aren't.

The official Imperial version of events are that when Darth Vader lead the assault on the Jedi Temple, Vader battled and killed Anakin Skywalker who was also part of the Jedi Rebellion to take over the Republic. However Vader's background is left intentionally mysterious to enhance the public mystique and fear of Vader. Palpatine is not known to be a Sith Lord, but Vader is. Some say Vader was Count Dooku's Sith apprentice who switched sides and became loyal to Palpatine at the end of the war. Some say Vader was a former Jedi who remained loyal to Palpatine, perhaps even warning Palpatine of the plot, saving him from Mace Windu's assassination attempt and somehow becoming a Sith Lord after that.

The Sith Order itself is a vague and mysterious thing, and all that is commonly known among Imperial citizens is that it was another order similar to the Jedi who had taken over the Republic 1000 years ago but were eventually defeated. 1000 years ago the Sith were viewed as the villains, but now the message is that the Jedi were bad. However I think that after years of Imperial atrocities a lot of galactic citizens realized the Empire is evil and maybe they lied about the Jedi. But most of them knew to keep their mouths shut.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your thoughts on this sort of thing are always interesting Whill.

Whill wrote:
I don't know if Hayden Christiansen could have pulled any of this off, but I am sure that Lucas couldn't have directed it. [...]The AOTC deleted scene with Padme's parents and sister helps support the unconvincing love story. And in my SWU, the medical droid that said Padme had lost her will to live was simply incorrect (what does a droid know about the human will to live?). Padme was actually killed by Dark Side energy from Anakin, which the droid wouldn't be able to determine. Some of these things are known to my players, and some aren't.

I too think there would have been a darker (sic) side to the "romance" as portrayed in the films, which I think was depicted more as two young people dabbling with forbidden fruit, with Padme meeting Anakin at least halfway, if not actively soliciting Anakin. I realize there's a fashion double-standard for female movie characters, and clearly they took every excuse to get costume changes in for Padme (the fireplace scene and the "I hate sand" scene almost reminded me of Madeline Kahn's character in "Blazing Saddles" who says she "vants to get comfortable", then changes into a ridiculously elaborate negligee Very Happy). But she sure seemed to be dressing for more than a casual evening around the fire playing sabacc.

I think this aspect of Anakin's transformation would have been more like the Greek myth of Leda and the Swan. Whether the dark side totally possessed him (demonic, as you say) to attack/dominate her or to made her more susceptible to his advances, IMC there would have been a lot less "star-crossed lovers" and a lot more Dark Side Swan.

Not really a part of the story the player characters would know, of course, and not likely to ever come up in the campaign, but helps me ret-con a number of things including (1) Anakin's force choke/violence against Padme on Mustafar, (2) emphasizes what I think of as Padme's goodness/Light Side connection (i.e. respecting the Jedi rules/oaths as shown in the film more than she did), (3) the Jedi Order's depicted monasticism/celibacy/renunciation of family, and maybe even (4) Anakin's "virgin birth"- I think Shmi was probably visited by a Dark Side "Swan" too. Anyway as you say I don't think Lucas would have told that story, much less filmed it, but it fits a lot better with a character who ends up gaffing ten year olds and unarmed politicians (and his Jedi brethren/sistren).
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What my players know about Star Wars hasn't been an issue in my games. Half of my players don't care enough about Star Wars to use the knowledge for their character's personal gain or anything for that matter. Meanwhile, the other half are veteran roleplayers who know the difference between player knowledge and character knowledge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: