The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Episode VII: Predictions and False Hopes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Episode VII: Predictions and False Hopes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Episode VII: Predictions and False Hopes Reply with quote

I missed out on some good threads here recently, and I'm about to comb through the Disney/SW opus. But I thought of a few things today and wondered what all might be running through other minds out there. So, how about a game? Make [5] predictions of what you THINK will be in the next film. Not what you want, but what you would be surprised to find missing when the end credits roll.

Then, share [3] ridiculous things that you'd love to see in the film, regardless of whether or not they are likely. I'm really curious about what folks are thinking, so please don't say things like "plausible story" or "good dialogue". Razz I'm sure we all want such things.

Finally, how about [2] things you really, really, really don't want to see. Let's play!

Five predictions for the next film:

1. War. If there's no war, there's no space battles, starfighter dogfights, etc. I dunno if it will be civil war or Republic v. Aliens, but there will be war. Hopefully not too real-world preachy.

2. Han and Leia's kid(s). I've seen some chatter suggesting that they won't be main characters, but at least one of them will be.

3. A planet type we've not seen before. I'm less sure what that might be, they've done ice, forest, jungle, volcanic, cloud, urban, etc. I think we're down to caves (Sullust?), or maybe a twilight world?

4. A gungan. I would expect this to be in a background shot or a cantina scene or something... but I think there will be a nudge-nudge type gungan cameo. If just to emphasize what these movies are not.

5. A new type of conveyance. Individual flight power maybe, an improvement over jet packs? Marty McFly-style hoverboard? Something.

Now, 3 ridiculous things I'd love to see.

1. The "Failed Jedi" template come to life. He was an adult apprentice for Luke in the post-Endor period, but drank himself out of the Order and into a cantina. He gets by bilking patrons with force tricks, until one day...

2. Ithorians and a herdship. I know I've kind of fixated on these, but I think they're one of the more interesting settings in the EU and would look fabulous on screen. Plus if ithorians really can speak basic, that would be fun to see depicted.

3. An Imperial anti-hero. Not necessarily the Thrawn type of honorable opponent; could be an ex-Imperial or a noble or something that falls into the fight on the "good" side. Or a captain that mutinies at the "opportune moment", as Captain Jack said in a different mutiny.

And two anti-wishes:

1. No alien villain/BBEG, especially with CGI face (i.e. Davy Jones in the PotC sequels). Let's have a Tarkin-ish bad guy. As a hatchet man or lieutenant, ok.

2. No cloned Emperor. Enough already with the clones and the emperor.

So, what about you? Here are questions for you to cut and paste if you like:

What 5 things do you fully expect to see in the next SW film?

What 3 things would you love to see, that are pretty unlikely?

What 1 thing do you dread seeing in the next film?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread, Barrataria! I'm going to post mine before reading yours, to not be influenced.

Five predictions for the new film:

1) New Force using adversaries, likely the Sith (or some variation on them)

2) Huge, epic space battles

3) The “next generation” of heroes, likely the children of the heroes we know (Luke, Leia, Han)

4) Pretty clearly delineated good guys and bad guys (if there are shades of gray, I expect it will be only a few characters at most)

5) A new, roguish character that has the potential to be hugely popular and marketable

Three ridiculous things I'd love to see:

1) A huge, epic land/sea/ground battle scene. Something along the lines of (or the equivalent of) what you see in "Flags of our Fathers", with everything from foot soldiers, larger artillery, huge ships, and planes. One that makes Hoth sort of "low scale" by comparison.

2) Some amazingly deadly creature(s); likely something huge and extremely challenging.

3) An intense and thrilling chase scene

Two anti-wishes:

1) No lens flare!

2) No cutesy, corny aliens (in the vein of Ewoks or Jar Jar)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: