The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Capital Ships and Capital Missiles - a great Combination?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Capital Ships and Capital Missiles - a great Combination? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they had some sort of usable rule for how the particle shields dropping affected incoming shots, such as how it decreased the difficulty of the shot, I might be convinced. As it stands, the RAW pretty much just talks about particle shields as a ship system, not a combat rule.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:
So what are the odds of actually sneaking a hit in when a ship drops its shields to fire torpedoes? I'm guessing it only takes a reaction use of the relevant Shields skill to raise them in time anyway.

Good tactics roll, and having init, so you can hold it TILL the enemy fires to snap your shot off.
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Credits. Missiles are far more expensive than turbolaser blasts, and it's more economical to mount massive turbolasers (ISD primary turrets, for example) than batteries of missiles which, according to RAW are difficult to use on moving targets anyways.

I'm not going to argue that a single missile isn't more expensive than a single turbolaser bolt, but I don't it's quite as high as a lot of people believe.

(This part of the post is yanked from another Star Wars forum (NIF) I've post at):
Quote:

Model: Imperial Munitions Type II Blaster Gas Canister
Type: Shipboard munitions
Scale: Starfighter or Capital
Cost: 1,000
Availability: 2, R or X
Game Notes: Blaster gas canisters come in a variety
of shapes and sizes; the Nebulon-B requires Imperial
Munitions Type II blaster gas canisters – or compatible
knock-offs by SoroSuub or TaggeCo. Each canister can
provide enough blaster gas for 20 capital-scale or 40
starfighter scale turbolaser blasts.
Source: The Far Orbit Project (page 20)

So going by the database that a heavy turbolaser has a refire rate of 1 shot per two seconds, a single heavy turbolaser firing for one minute straight will shoot 30 times and go through at least 1,500 credits worth of blaster gas: in a minute. This is assuming that a heavy turbolaser uses the same amount of gas as a standard turbolaser used on a Nebulon B. I imagine the price would actually be higher given that a heavy turbolaser would probably use more gas to inflict more damage. Assuming that a quad turbolaser (a medium weapon, lighter than the turbolasers used on a Neb B) is used, it jumps to 6,000 credits of blaster gas per minute. Of course, this is an overestimation, as a quad turbolaser probably does not use as much gas as a typical turbolaser. But both of these set the upper and lower bounds for what a standard Neb B turbolaser would use. If averaged then to get an estimate of the cost for a single, regular turbolaser firing continuously on a Neb B for a minute, it is found to be roughly 3,750 credits, negating the cost (if any) of the power needed.

The only prices I can find for capital scale missiles are for a "Smart Concussion Missile" and a "Hound Concussion Missile" by used by the RAGOC Launcher (Repulsor Assisted Ground to Orbit Concussion missile launcher). They are 2,000 and 5,000 credits respectively (Hideouts and Strongholds pgs. 10-11). Based on the Merr-Sonn MX-10 then, a "dumb" missile variety would likely cost about 1000 credits.

So in other words, for the same price price of firing a turbolaser for a minute continuously, one could fire nearly 2 smart missiles or 4 dumb missiles. Probably not a single Hound in that time, but the said type of missile has enough fuel for 30 rounds and 150% better fire control than the standard "smart" missile.

So essentially what I'm saying is that cost shouldn't be much of an issue for missile weapons assuming they're not being fired continuously, which they shouldn't.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, those prices do add up over time, and that price is compounded over thousands or even millions of ships spread across the galaxy. Storage volume is also a consideration, in that blaster gas may be stored in much smaller volume per shot than a missile or torpedo round.

nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
nuclearwookiee wrote:
So what are the odds of actually sneaking a hit in when a ship drops its shields to fire torpedoes? I'm guessing it only takes a reaction use of the relevant Shields skill to raise them in time anyway.

Good tactics roll, and having init, so you can hold it TILL the enemy fires to snap your shot off.

Which would be great if this game offered the ability to hold an action like most of the d20 games out there. But even if this were the case, the fact that the Shields skills are reactions kind of moots the point. Player 1: "I ready an action to fire the moment that Victory SD drops its shields to fire a missile." VSD Shield Operator: "I roll Capital Ship Shields as a reaction. . . ."
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuclearwookiee wrote:

Which would be great if this game offered the ability to hold an action like most of the d20 games out there. But even if this were the case, the fact that the Shields skills are reactions kind of moots the point. Player 1: "I ready an action to fire the moment that Victory SD drops its shields to fire a missile." VSD Shield Operator: "I roll Capital Ship Shields as a reaction. . . ."

To which i would assign the shield operator a penalty to, unless he wants to blow his own ship up when ITS missiles fire into an intact particle shield.
But it is a valid point.
hongxiquan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there are canon capital ships with missiles? Also why can fighters use torpedoes and concussion missiles and that's legit?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hongxiquan wrote:
But there are canon capital ships with missiles? Also why can fighters use torpedoes and concussion missiles and that's legit?

Please elaborate, as I'm not sure what your concern is here. Yes, there are canon capital ships with missiles, and yes, fighters can use torpedoes and missiles (as seen in the films).

Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ship shield skill controls energy shields not particle shields. However, it is the skill I would have a player roll to get the par shields back up. Particle shields aren't angled to different parts of the ship, they are always up, unless you lose power. Particle shields are considered 2D of the hull.

Capital ship torps and missiles are 6x as powerful as star fighter versions and are probably much larger. I usually make the difficulty base moderate for starfighter scale weapons to shoot them down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: