The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules Refresher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Rules Refresher Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hartbaine
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Rules Refresher Reply with quote

Hey guys, been playing the D6 system for a long time but I set it down for awhile. Well, we picked it back up not long ago and I was hoping you guys could help me refresh myself on some of the rules that aren't quite popping back into my head.

I'll probably use this same thread multiple times, if there is already the thread for it, just link it, I don't mind the reading. If there is a page number that answers my question, please feel free to let me know, again, I don't mind reading. Some of these questions are simply because I can't find them in the book, but it's just as likely that I missed it while I was re-reading the book. And thank you in advance, guys.

Force Skills: During Character Creation you spend your attribute dice on Force Skill Dice instead of skill dice (at least, the templates do, so that's how I've always done it). Does that mean that FS Dice are increased as Attributes (Rating x10 CP) or as Skills (Skill Rating in CP)?

Skills: When you purchase a new skill what is the new rating? (Attribute + 1 pip) or the next die code of the attribute (3D DEX would yield 4D Blaster).

Can melee weapons be improved with repair skills? No one ever actually tried it in my games, and lo-and-behold, last session someone asked. Melee weapons are listed in the section for improving equipment.

That's all I managed to jot down so far...
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Force skills come out of attribute dice not skill dice
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rules Refresher Reply with quote

Hartbaine wrote:
Force Skills: During Character Creation you spend your attribute dice on Force Skill Dice instead of skill dice (at least, the templates do, so that's how I've always done it). Does that mean that FS Dice are increased as Attributes (Rating x10 CP) or as Skills (Skill Rating in CP)?

You spend your attribute dice for your initial Force skill codes, but then pay only the normal cost of improving a skill to increase them thereafter.

Hartbaine wrote:
Skills: When you purchase a new skill what is the new rating? (Attribute + 1 pip) or the next die code of the attribute (3D DEX would yield 4D Blaster).

Attribute + 1 pip.

Hartbaine wrote:
Can melee weapons be improved with repair skills? No one ever actually tried it in my games, and lo-and-behold, last session someone asked. Melee weapons are listed in the section for improving equipment.

I don't see why you couldn't apply the modification rules on p. 60 of the 2nd Ed. R&E to melee weapons. It seems those rules are intended to apply, generally, to any of the repair skills. Although there isn't a repair skill explicitly listed for melee weapons, the skills listed in the book do not comprise an exhaustive list. So just create Melee Weapon Repair (or whatever) and then apply the modification rules. And although I don't see any such limitation in the RAW, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to restrict these modification rules to powered weapons, if you want (allowing the modification of a virboblade, but not a simple dagger).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rules Refresher Reply with quote

Hartbaine wrote:
Does that mean that FS Dice are increased as Attributes (Rating x10 CP) or as Skills (Skill Rating in CP)?

As skills. Increasing Control/Sense or Alter as per page 140, in the revised rule book is like increasing a Regular skill (# of character points equal to the D of the skill, Double if without a teacher.

Hartbaine wrote:

As per page 35, "Characters can learn a new skill or specialization by paying enough Character Points to advance it one pip above the attribute"
So the former of your 2 examples.
Many games i have been in, ran in a module style format, have had occasions where you get to learn skills IN that module. In those situations you can do one of 2 things.
Just write the skill down under the attribute, at the base level of the attribute, with NO cost to it. OR write it down with the one increase, and spend the CP for that.

Hartbaine wrote:

That's all I managed to jot down so far...

Yes. You can increase the Melee weapon's Damage, Max damage value (damage cap) or the Body rating.
Each is it's own increase, so each costs time and money.
Hartbaine
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback guys, it's appreciated. Also, thank you for dropping the page numbers, I've gone back and re-read those pages and sections and it cleared some of the cobwebs away.

I hope you'll not mind me just using this thread if the need arises. I know some of my questions may seem a tad inane, but it's been nearly 7 years since I've been able to sit down and get a good D6 SW going at the table. I could use all the help I can get getting back in the swing of things.

Thanks again, everyone.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad we can help.. And welcome to the pit!
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rules Refresher Reply with quote

Yes, welcome to the Pit, Hartbaine! Smile

garhkal wrote:
Many games i have been in, ran in a module style format, have had occasions where you get to learn skills IN that module. In those situations you can do one of 2 things.
Just write the skill down under the attribute, at the base level of the attribute, with NO cost to it. OR write it down with the one increase, and spend the CP for that.

One thing I'm not following here. Per the RAW characters already get every skill (except Advanced ones) at the same level as the attribute, so why would one have to "learn something in that module" to get what every character already gets for free?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cause at least having it wrote down on your sheet, can sometimes make the difference, between being able to get commanded to work together. Many people i game with have followed the mantra to 'get coordinated to work on the same task (combined action for that skill) all those being coordinated need to have the skill actually listed, and even IF defaulting to the attribute (cause they have not spent anything on it), that means more people can be combined if they have it wrote down, than could otherwise be coordinated.
The other reason is some skills, there should be a penalty to using it, if you DON'T have the skill, while i can see some even not letting you roll if you don't know it (scholar, profession, law, bureaucracy)..
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I've never seen anything official about "having something written down on your character sheet" for this game, though you do have a point about some things making sense whether you've been trained or not.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither can i find anything on that in the rules for skill use or combined actions. But they both make sense, especially the combined skill use one, where everyone getting coordinated needs to have the skill being coordinated.
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Neither can i find anything on that in the rules for skill use or combined actions. But they both make sense, especially the combined skill use one, where everyone getting coordinated needs to have the skill being coordinated.

I get what you're saying, but I think you're going down a path I can't follow. Very Happy Why should the source of knowledge matter? Someone with 4d+0 Mechanical is necessarily way more capable of performing starship repairs than another character with only 2d+0 Mechanical and +1 pip in Starship Repair. But somehow the 2d+1 repairman is easier to coordinate? It makes more sense to draw the distinction between degrees of knowledge than degrees of training. If I remember correctly, this was the approach of the coordination rules in 2d Ed. (basing the difficulty of coordinating groups of characters on their average skill level).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it more as you need to know the skill, to know what to do, to assist someone.
Sure people can give anecdotes on their friend who's dumber than a rock helping them fix their car by handing tools etc. But that was still YOU doing the work only not both of you working.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's still quite clear - from the RAW anyway - that the person with no training, but who is more naturally gifted - like a Luke Skywalker (who was a naturally gifted pilot) - with 4D mechanical to repair a ship than the person who has raised it a pip, but is still only at 2D+1. In fact, he'd be considerably better at doing so.

Some games have level of training in various skills, but Star Wars d6 just isn't one of them.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which to me was a mistake the system made.
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Interesting. I've never seen anything official about "having something written down on your character sheet" for this game, though you do have a point about some things making sense whether you've been trained or not.

That's right. However, I've always felt that certain skills can not be picked up just "on the fly". For instance, if your character background is such that you have never flown a starship, then even though your MEC attribute is 2d or 3d or whatever, if you've never been trained in the skill then you can't do it. Anything highly technical or intricate requires some actual skill base.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: