The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How I Do Force Push/Repulse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> How I Do Force Push/Repulse
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: How I Do Force Push/Repulse Reply with quote

Force Push/Repulse
Uses Telekinesis. Split alter dice among the following.

Direction:
0-5 Very Easy: Straight line forward
6-10 Easy: 45 degree forward cone
11-15 Moderate: 90 degree forward cone
16-20 Difficult: 180 degree forward arc
21-30 Very Difficult: 240 degrees (all firing arcs except rear)
31+ Heroic: All directions
Distance Pushed:
0-5 Very Easy: 2 meters
6-10 Easy: 5 meters
11-15 Moderate: 10 Meters
16-20 Difficult: 15 Meters
21-30 Very Difficult: 25 meters
31+ Heroic: 50 meters
Damage: normal damage rules

Feedback welcome!
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you rolling Alter twice? Once for the arc and then another roll for the power/distance?

Why not do a Control+Alter roll, with the Alt result determining the distance pushed, and the Control roll determining the number of arcs controlled. Your difficulty tables can still apply, but MAP would have to be in force.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah sorry.

I meant to say you split the Alter dice how you want between the three areas.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example: Scimbleshancks has an Alter of 6D. He wants to shove a storm trooper off a ledge. He decides to split his Alter dice accordingly:

Direction: 0D
Distance: 3D
Damage: 3D

Since he put no dice into direction, it is a 0, and the push will go straight forward. He rolls 12 for damage, sending the push 10 meters forward, just enough to nudge the stormie off the ledge. He also rolls 13 damage, knocking the wind out of him in the process.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is a bit more complicated than mine. I'm not sure where I got mine, but it simply uses Alter, too.

FORCE PUSH

Alter Difficulty: Target’s control or Strength roll, +3 for every 5 meters away from target, line of sight only. Required Powers: Concentration, Life Detection, Telekinesis.

Effect: With this power, a Jedi may use the Force to push several adjacent targets backwards, knocking them prone or banging them against a wall. Each target past the first incurs a -1D penalty on the Jedi using the power (i.e., 1 target = no penalty, 2 targets = -1D penalty; 3 targets = -2D penalty; 4 targets = -3D penalty, etc.) Each target makes either a control or Strength roll to resist, and the acting Jedi’s alter roll result is compared to each result in turn to determine the effects. A target that is knocked back into a wall or other solid object takes the damage listed below. If a Jedi kills a living being as a result of this power he immediately receives a Dark Side Point; as such, he may roll less than his full alter score if he so chooses.

Alter Roll >Difficulty: Distance target pushed back / Collision damage

0-5: 2 meters / 2D

6-10: 3 meters / 3D

11-15: 5 meters / 4D

16-20: 10 meters / 5D

21+: 15 meters / 6D
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Yours is a bit more complicated than mine. I'm not sure where I got mine, but it simply uses Alter, too.

FORCE PUSH

Alter Difficulty: Target’s control or Strength roll, +3 for every 5 meters away from target, line of sight only.

Required Powers: Concentration, Life Detection, Telekinesis.

In my book, simple is batter, but again, I'm weak (but getting more study on) force power use/knowledge. So take that with a grain of salt.

This may chase a rabbit, but I have a question ... Why is life detection a prerequisite???? I'm not arguing against it, just want to know why (that is one of my weaknesses with force power knowledge, I see a prereq and don't understand why it is what it is)

Forgive all spelling errors.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made mine so that the player can prioritize which aspects of force push he wants to focus on. It gives more control and flexibility to the player, which to me, makes sense with the Force. You can use this power many different ways, rather than just one.

If he wants to shoot straight ahead and send someone flying, he can do that. If he wants to push all around him and kill a swarm of gundarks, he can do that.
If he wants to knock down and break the four battle droids in front of him, he can do that too.

I think my rule allows the players more of an ability to say, "I want to do this," and then I can say, "OK, here's how it will work."
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have been more careful with my 'simpler is better' comment. It is kind of funny considering the HR I'm working on with guidance from CMR on light saber dueling ...

I don't disagree with the player having options to prioritize the effects. With that I can't argue against your version. In a way I think it could be a good option as an advanced form of DR4's 'basic' force push. A novice with the skill just pushes the target which ever direction the Jedi 'pushes' the towards. A more skilled user includes control so the user can do your version.

My first post was more for the question about why life detection was a prerequisite ...

Forgive all spelling errors.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:

My first post was more for the question about why life detection was a prerequisite ...

I really don't know...

My only prerequisite would be telekinesis.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not sure why Life Detection. In fact, I think I'll probably take that out of mine, now that you mention it. Good catch, lurker.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather like the OP's interpretation. As some have said, they'd rather use the telekinesis power to cover Force push, but there are several reason why I'd prefer to make it it's own power.

First, there simply aren't enough Alter powers. The more applications we fold into a single power, the more utilitarian individual Force powers become. At some point, the logical thing to do is just eliminate individual powers all together and have the player roll Alter and simply describe the effect he generates. After all: what do we ever see on screen that would lead us to believe that telekinetic kill was anything other than a diabolical way to employ the basic telekinesis power?

Second, by RAW, telekinesis is not "powerful" enough to blast multiple man-sized targets across the room. The Jedi would have to make a roll that exceeded not only the difficulty to affect an ~80kg mass, but that difficulty would be added to the target's control or perception roll. And we see padawans blasting people/droids all over the place in the films/cartoons. Creating a separate power with a specific application allows for a reduced difficulty and the potential to replicate what we see on screen.

Third, adding more powers to the "telekinesis tree" will allow individual characters to progress down different paths as far as their abilities and contributions to the group. Once character might take Force push, and another might choose telekinetic whirlwind or some such.

I tend not to prefer dice pools, as the OP is suggesting, but, that's just me. Do what fits in your campaign.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, Naaman.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I started a thread a while back titled something like "more alter powers" but it wasnt well received, many folk preferring to interpret most of the suggestions as applications of the RAW telekinesis.

Although, with the Clone Wars having expanded the potential of the Force in a lot of ways, it may be worth a revisit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: