The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

stealth technology in SWRPG.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> stealth technology in SWRPG.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willg
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: stealth technology in SWRPG. Reply with quote

Hey all.I was thinking of stealth thech, I know there is already sensor jammers , but I was thinking more equivalants of radar absorbant materials.

One thing, even to camoflague a ship whas the stealth tech employed by the Aston Martin vanquish in Die Another Day. Each side of the car acts as a screen and projects the view from the other side of the car, rendering it invisible. Any thoughts?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: stealth technology in SWRPG. Reply with quote

willg wrote:
Hey all.I was thinking of stealth thech, I know there is already sensor jammers , but I was thinking more equivalants of radar absorbant materials.

One thing, even to camoflague a ship whas the stealth tech employed by the Aston Martin vanquish in Die Another Day. Each side of the car acts as a screen and projects the view from the other side of the car, rendering it invisible. Any thoughts?

That's the basic function of a sensor mask.

There is also the real world tech of active stealth, which projects energy that neutralizes active sensors by sending out counter signals.

I used the concept of passive jamming on another ship; the idea was that the passive jamming emitted low level signals that altered the ship's signature, making it appear to be some sort of sensor glitch or natural phenomenon.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is supposedly some sort of sensor masking paint, which iirc is what the Skyblind scout ship uses, to where its shield rating is also added to enemies difficulties to use sensors on the skyblind.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Skyblind has a sensor mask which is expressed by allowing its shields to function against sensors as well as weapons. It isn't paint.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sensor Baffling
Model: Arakyd Nightshadow anti-sensor treatment
Type: Sensor countermeasure coating
Scale: Starfighter or capital
Cost: 20,000 per starfighter scale Hull die (ignore pips); 50,000 per capital scale Hull die (ignore pips)
Availability: 4, X
Game Notes: A ship treated with this material adds to a sensor operator’s difficulty to detect the ship. A light treatment adds 1D to the difficulty. A heavy treatment (a second coat) adds 2D. Additional treatments are futile, since the treatment does nothing to prevent the detection of engine exhaust, a primary method of detecting ships. The type of vessel affects how well the ship can be “stealthed” – blunt, angular ships, 500 meters or more in length, or more than 5D Hull (either capital or starfighter scale) can only be “baffled” up to 1D of protection. Slender, rounded off ships (smaller Mon Calamari vessels foe example) are easier to baffle, due to their natural design.
Source: Pirates & Privateers (page 38), Scum and Villainy (page 61)

Quote:
Sensor Mask
Model: Fabritech Vanish 2 Military Sensor Masking System
Type: Sensor countermeasure masking system
Scale: Starfighter or capital
Cost: 150,000 per Hull die; 300,000 per capital ship Hull die
Availability: 4, X
Game Notes: When activated, the sensor mask adds 2D to enemy sensor operator’s difficulty to detect and identify. Current masking technologies offer a maximum of 3D of sensor protection. Such items are practically impossible to locate, and are often considerably more expensive than the market norm.
Source: Pirates & Privateers (pages 38-39), Scum and Villainy (page 61)

2 sensor resistant coatings that have already been statted out.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that paint existed, and thought it was what gave the skyblind its sensor baffling.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I knew that paint existed, and thought it was what gave the skyblind its sensor baffling.

If it were just paint, the Skyblind wouldn't be able to shift it from fire arc to fire arc like shields.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

But only the first is a coating. The description of the second refers to being able to activate and deactivate, and paint isn't something you turn on and off.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

But only the first is a coating. The description of the second refers to being able to activate and deactivate, and paint isn't something you turn on and off.
Not saying it is or isn't paint, but it's possible that you could have a sensor-baffling coating that needs to be powered.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
Not saying it is or isn't paint, but it's possible that you could have a sensor-baffling coating that needs to be powered.

I'd be interested to see how "powered paint" could be put to use for sensor stealth, if you want to put some ideas together. IIRC, there was some tech mentioned in one of the Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy that was basically hull plating with a high res flat screen built into it .

Be that as it may, conventional wisdom is that sensor masks are devices similar to deflector shields, in that they project an energy field of some kind that defends the ship from detection as opposed to damage.

Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the rare stygian-triprismatic polymer, as seen on the Singularity. But more common is probably the sensor-coating mentioned as being used on the Vibre-class Assault Cruiser in the Jedi Academy Sourcebook.

If we're looking for an actual name, one of them is Nutorium.
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates and Privateers has a whole section of ship upgrades with stealth equipment, most quite expensive indeed: Sensor Baffling, Sensor Masks, Sensor Decoys (two varieties), Comm and Sensor Jammers, Baffled Drives, Backup Battery (for running silent) and extra Trasponder Codes.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

I'd be interested to see how "powered paint" could be put to use for sensor stealth, if you want to put some ideas together. IIRC, there was some tech mentioned in one of the Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy that was basically hull plating with a high res flat screen built into it .

Be that as it may, conventional wisdom is that sensor masks are devices similar to deflector shields, in that they project an energy field of some kind that defends the ship from detection as opposed to damage.
I would think that it would be what you called "passive jamming" a paint which broadcasts active cancellation (think Bose headphones, but with sensors) of the sensor returns. I'm not sure how exactly it would work, but I know it would draw energy, and a paint is a good way to distribute a thin layer of nano jammers so that you get even cancellation, rather than cancellation of only the returns hitting the large box labeled jammer.

Also, since you bring up the shield-style sensor masks, I recall a passive sensor baffle that can be built into a ship's hull. (Not unlike the radar baffles in the fuselage chines of the A-12 spyplanes and the engine inlet ducts on B-1 bombers.) So that's a more permanent option, and probably not one that can just be added to a ship. What happens when you combine the two technologies? Well, that'll be an interestin' day...

... Expensive, but interesting.

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back i came up with 2 forms of stealth tech based on one of the alien races, both have their up sides and down sides.
First up is chameleon cloak. Ever see the Bond film Die another day where that care 'used holographic' like tech to blend into the surrounding area? This does similar. It uses cameras all over to scan the surrounding back ground and 3D FDI tech to broadcast that onto its opposite side, blending in.. Giving a visual mask. When engaged, a ship can't use any energy weapons, move faster than 50% of normal speed (so is always going cautiously) engage shields, etc. Attempts to visually spot it are penalized 2 difficulty levels (moderate to very difficult, easy to difficult.

Ghost ECM actually makes it impossible to see via sensors (gravity sensors or those detecting the engine wash will still work) but also can't be active when the ship moves faster than 50% of normal. In addition, it takes a very difficult space transport/fighter/cap ship repair roll to activate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: