The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rule Mechanic: Using Character Background
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Rule Mechanic: Using Character Background
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Rule Mechanic: Using Character Background Reply with quote

Adding stuff from the character background that has true impact on the game. Awards and hindrances a GM can impose on players. Yippee, something for everyone!

Using Character Background
I have always thought that a characters background, personality and goals should offer additional benefit beyond the typical role play. Within the mechanics of Star Wars D6 I think this can be best summed up with the Special Ability, Skill Bonus and Story Factors that are typically used to help define a species. A player may begin with one of these at the start of play, but it must tie directly to something in his character write-up. This may require a bit of work between the player and the GM. Additional benefits can be added through adventures or players may request the GM to allow a certain benefit at a later time. Remember the GM has the final word on allowing something.

Special Ability:
Light Sleeper: the player requires less sleep than a typical member of his species. Furthermore they get a +1D modifier to be awoken by "strange" sounds.

Story Factor:
Black Sun Contacts: the player through his previous associates has maintained a number of contacts with Black Sun. When visiting an appropriate planet or city roll a Moderate streetwise skill roll to see if you can make contact with an old associate.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a player for whom your Black Sun story factor would fit perfectly. Instead of doing that, the player has Streetwise: Black Sun, and uses it for the same purposes.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were just examples.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. Ans fine examples they were.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I’m starting a couple of characters to replace the soon demised Sgt Harris (either dead, or so medically messed up that he isn’t a viable character), and using SWR’s above house rules to make the characters, I’m a fan of the idea.

This is doubly so as I make good detailed thorough histories for my characters.

For me the easy one is making the story factor. From one of my backgrounds, I can easily think of 3 … 4 story factors. From the other, an easy 2 without trying. Now, how he uses it or allow me to use it in the game …

However, special ability … I’ve struggled with it. Everything I think of sounds too ‘crunchy’ to me . With this, I could see a min/max type gamer trying to abuse it … Of course, knowing SWR and his games, I doubt it would last long before it got shut down.

Forgive all spelling errors.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First keep in mind not every character will have one of these or any of these. The Skill bonus would be very hard. In fact I am thinking of removing it for brevities sake. That is not to say if the background made sense that a player couldn't attempt to sell me on the idea. Granted it would be a hard sell. Certainly the Story and Special abilities are going to be the easiest to formulate. Going to have to add a limitation as well, something like, "no more than two."
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: