The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lesser Force Shield and Absorb/Dissipate Energy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lesser Force Shield and Absorb/Dissipate Energy Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Lesser Force Shield and Absorb/Dissipate Energy Reply with quote

I mentioned in another thread that I wasn't crazy about my Jedi using Lesser Force Shield. The power isn't way overpowered or anything. It even is quite defensive and fits the heroic ideal pretty well. But I don't remember seeing it used in any of the films, so I'm thinking of modifying or altering it (pun intended).

crmcneill mentioned perhaps doing something with Absorb/Dissipate Energy, and that does make sense...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absorb/Dissipate has gained a lot of traction in the prequels and the EU.

-In I, Jedi, Corran Horn could not only absorb and dissipate the energy; he could convert it into potential Force energy, which could then be used to boost other rolls. I never really put pen to paper on this one, but the rule that I came up with in my head was that, for every five points of damage absorbed by A/D E, the Jedi received a temporary character point that had to be either spent that round or the following round or allowed to dissipate.

-In the prequels, A/D E becomes the main Jedi counter to Force Lightning, where Yoda is shown not only absorbing Force Lightning, but reflecting it back at Count Dooku. It sees similar use in the Clone Wars series.

-While this one may be canonically dubious, one of the previews for SW:TOR showed a Sith Master using either A/D E or something very close to it to shrug off a direct hit from a guided missile.

A question I asked a while ago was, exactly how far is the definition of "energy" taken with this power? Can A/D E be used to absorb kinetic energy (bullets or telekinesis)? Potential energy (draining electrical power from batteries)?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me what yoda did, was more of a new power, redirection. Similar to Bishop of the Xmen.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think telekinesis should be used to redirect solids and other things. It could redirect the particles in a blaster bolt, for example.

Absorb/dissipate energy would only involve what its name says: energy.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

A question I asked a while ago was, exactly how far is the definition of "energy" taken with this power? Can A/D E be used to absorb kinetic energy (bullets or telekinesis)? Potential energy (draining electrical power from batteries)?

Kinetic, IMO nope. batteries, i could see. But then you would have people asking could it be used to drain the power from battle droids and the like.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how both attacks are delivering damaging energy to a target, with the only difference being the medium used to deliver the energy, I would allow both. To arbitrarily say that one is energy and the other isn't when we can't clearly define blaster bolts or the Force seems rather presumptuous. If a Jedi can use TK to manipulate objects at a distance (including possibly using TK to do the Neo bullet trick), it seems unfair to say that he can't do anything with the kinetic energy of a bullet at the moment it comes into contact with his skin.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
batteries, i could see. But then you would have people asking could it be used to drain the power from battle droids and the like.

The description of Absorb / Dissipate allows you to use it against a wide variety of energies, including intense sunlight or radiation...

DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you, crmcneill, my inclination would be to allow it to absorb/dissipate all kinds of energies. It's not only quicker and easier that way, but I can't think of any moments (from canon sources, anyway) where we see something bypassing/getting through or ignoring this defense.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Like you, crmcneill, my inclination would be to allow it to absorb/dissipate all kinds of energies. It's not only quicker and easier that way, but I can't think of any moments (from canon sources, anyway) where we see something bypassing/getting through or ignoring this defense.

But we have never seen it used in any canon sources where someone 'absorbs' a hit from someone kicking/punching/smacking him.. So that to me shows it does not work against kinetic energy.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several Force powers that never see action in the films (Accelerate Healing, Hibernation Trance, Detoxify Poison, etc, etc), yet we presume they exist. Even Absorb/Dissipate was debatable until Yoda used it in AOTC. It would be an awfully boring, myopic universe if we limited ourselves solely to what we see in the films and EU, as opposed to extrapolating what is possible based on the evidence.

If one were to combine Absorb / Dissipate with Lesser Force Shield, and Lesser Force Shield offers a blanket bonus to resist damage (i.e. does not discriminate between thermal and kinetic energy), then it would only be fair to offer the same blanket protection, regardless of energy type.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
There are several Force powers that never see action in the films (Accelerate Healing, Hibernation Trance, Detoxify Poison, etc, etc), yet we presume they exist. Even Absorb/Dissipate was debatable until Yoda used it in AOTC. It would be an awfully boring, myopic universe if we limited ourselves solely to what we see in the films and EU, as opposed to extrapolating what is possible based on the evidence.

Ab/dis was what vader used on bespin when han shot his hand.

crmcneill wrote:
If one were to combine Absorb / Dissipate with Lesser Force Shield, and Lesser Force Shield offers a blanket bonus to resist damage (i.e. does not discriminate between thermal and kinetic energy), then it would only be fair to offer the same blanket protection, regardless of energy type.

So why would a jedi ever bother waisting time on his STR attribute. Just bump his ab/dis up like crazy and he becomes immune to any attack form.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Ab/dis was what vader used on bespin when han shot his hand.

With his mechanical hand? I have heard the argument made in the past that Vader's glove was sufficiently armored to just shrug off the shot. Personally, I agree with you that Vader used it on Bespin; I'm just saying that the first unequivocal proof that Absorb/Dissipate existed was when Yoda use it in AOTC.

Quote:
So why would a jedi ever bother waisting time on his STR attribute. Just bump his ab/dis up like crazy and he becomes immune to any attack form.

I know! Cool, huh?

Just playing; the idea would be to set the base difficulty for absorbing physical energy high enough that it isn't always possible. And like I said, if the idea is to dump Lesser Force Shield by combining it into Absorb / Dissipate, it needs to have at least some ability to absorb physical impacts.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, it's not like Absorb/Dissipate is the ideal defensive power anyway. The base difficulty is Moderate + the Damage number you are trying to absorb. If trying to absorb a 4D shot from a blaster pistol, a Jedi character is looking at a likely difficulty of around 29-30. To have a reasonable expectation of beating that, he would have to have a Control of at least 8D, and even then its not a sure thing.

EDIT: Now, if the I, Jedi version is used, where absorbed energy can be converted into potential Force energy which can in turn be pumped back into the Control roll, Absorb/Dissipate can be ramped up to overcome pretty much any amount of damage, but it will still require something to get over the initial, unassisted Control roll. A Jedi would likely have to spend a FP if he was looking at absorbing and converting a massive, sustained amount of damage.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Kinetic, IMO nope. batteries, i could see. But then you would have people asking could it be used to drain the power from battle droids and the like.

Well, technically speaking, it's all kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is energy from motion, and thermal energy is really just the energy of the motion of the molecules of an object. Electrical energy is the energy caused by moving electronics around in an object.

So it's really not that far fetched. But there is a matter of scale, proportion, and time. It might be possible to drain a blaster pistol but it would mean keeping the power up long enough to soak 100 shots, so we are talking something like 8-10 minutes to pull off. Stopping a bullet, would mean absorbing all of it's kinetic energy in a fraction of a second (since it does no good to stop it after it's hit you), and would be much more difficult.

So it might be possible in the SWU, but just not practical enough for Jedi to try and pull off.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Well, technically speaking, it's all kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is energy from motion, and thermal energy is really just the energy of the motion of the molecules of an object. Electrical energy is the energy caused by moving electronics around in an object.

Exactly.

Quote:
Stopping a bullet, would mean absorbing all of it's kinetic energy in a fraction of a second (since it does no good to stop it after it's hit you), and would be much more difficult.

So it might be possible in the SWU, but just not practical enough for Jedi to try and pull off.

Again, I don't see why. Since blasters in general deliver higher damage than firearms, and damage is a representation of energy delivered, it should actually be more difficult to absorb the thermal / electrical energy from a blaster shot than the kinetic energy from a bullet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: