The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revised Skills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Revised Skills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Revised Skills Reply with quote

I always enjoy hearing about changes that people have made, little house rules that they have thrown in to their games where skills are involved.

In my game we eliminated 'XXX parry' skill folding all of them under the originating talent, it made sense to both myself and my players that if you had been trained in Melee, that the person would have trained you to parry as well. Two separate skills just seemed silly to us.

The same with Droid Program/repair (which used to be 1 skill...)

For that matter we moved Willpower to perception which is used for your resistance of mind controls and interrogation...

So what changes have you made?
Keith
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than repost mine:

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4680
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that and I may have to use it...
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like Willpower under Knowledge as I feel it reflects the strength of one's mind whereas Perception deals with one's ability to perceive something.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's understandable, but the problem i had was that they made perception the goto resistance stat for the force and torture. Truthfully, it should probably be knowledge as characters would know their doing something was wrong.
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I personally like Willpower under Knowledge as I feel it reflects the strength of one's mind whereas Perception deals with one's ability to perceive something.

The reason I didn't like it under Knowledge, is that it implies that willpower is something that can be taught. Of all the skills under the Knowledge stat, none of them involve a "strength of mind" (to use your phrase). They are all about how much you know of a thing, how much you have learned of (Languages, Star systems, cultures, bureaucracies, navigation, etc.) And I disagree strongly that having a Willpower to resist torture or mental influence, is something that can be booked.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Willpower under Knowledge because I consider it to be a broader scope than just what you can learn. IMO, where Perception is external (understanding of others and one's surroundings, Knowledge is internally focused, not only about what you have learned, but what you know about yourself.

Intimidation, on the other hand...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like intimidation being under know. Since it shows the knowledge of knowing where and how to put pressure on people.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I like intimidation being under know. Since it shows the knowledge of knowing where and how to put pressure on people.

But too much of that is based on understanding how to affect others, and that is a Perception skill. Your argument could be just as easily used to put Persuasion under Knowledge as well.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the arguments for most any know skill (or per skill) could be used to switch their attribute they are based under.
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random_Axe wrote:
jmanski wrote:

The reason I didn't like it under Knowledge, is that it implies that willpower is something that can be taught. Of all the skills under the Knowledge stat, none of them involve a "strength of mind" (to use your phrase). They are all about how much you know of a thing, how much you have learned of (Languages, Star systems, cultures, bureaucracies, navigation, etc.) And I disagree strongly that having a Willpower to resist torture or mental influence, is something that can be booked.

You make a good point, but it sounds almost like it should be under Strength from your argument.

IMHO Willpower can be taught: it's what keeps Navy Seals going on the beach during BUDS.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aegisflashfire wrote:
Rather than repost mine:

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4680

Bobmalooga wrote:
I always enjoy hearing about changes that people have made, little house rules that they have thrown in to their games where skills are involved...

For that matter we moved Willpower to perception which is used for your resistance of mind controls and interrogation...

So what changes have you made?

I've also reduced spaceship operations skills to two (by scale). Keith, I've instituted all of your changes plus many more so I'll probably start my own thread for mine.

We've discussed this before. In 1E, Perception did three things. It was physical awareness skills, social awareness/interaction/force of personality skills, and the base attribute included the use of willpower in some game mechanical respects. In 2E when Willpower became its own skill, it appeared under Knowledge instead of Perception, even though Perception can still be used to resist Force powers. I think that split is stupid. The very day I first read that, I house ruled the Willpower skill back to Perception, and also allowed Willpower to be used to resist the Force. (If the Force can have a weak-minded, then the Force would logically also have a weak influence on the strong-minded).

Willpower can be learned, but so can Blaster and that's not a Knowledge skill. I honestly think they put Willpower under Knowledge just because Knowledge is a common dump stat for min-maxers and that made Knowledge a little more valuable.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

IMHO Willpower can be taught: it's what keeps Navy Seals going on the beach during BUDS.

Not just seals. But most any fed agent gets trained in resisting interrogations, which is what willpower would get used for.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: