The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Space debris and impacts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Space debris and impacts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Space debris and impacts Reply with quote

Got to watching Gravity a few hrs ago.. Makes me wonder how you would handle those sorts of space junk/debris hitting a ship, or a ship maneuvering through it (going into our out of orbit)?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask the move speed of the ship (cautious, cruising, etc), make a piloting roll versus the terrain in the given area of space (TN 18). At this point you can approach this two different ways:

1. Use the Movement Failure table as is from p.125
2. A failure is an automatic impact with space debris, refer to Collisions on p.125. You will not need to know the Strength of the item just the speed of the ship (Cautious 2D, Cruise 4D, High Speed 6D, or All-Out 10D) and roughly where it hits the ship (sideswipe -3D, head-on +3D, everything else no modifier).

Example 1: Ship is moving at High Speed, GM determines the terrain is 22. The character rolls his Piloting + Maneuverability and gets a 19, a failure with a difference of 2. The ship side slips and spins slightly out of control, the pilot is -1D to all actions for the rest of the round.

Example 2: Ship is moving at High Speed, GM determines the terrain is 22. The character rolls his Piloting + Maneuverability and gets a 19, a failure. The ship is moving at High-Speed at the the GM determines the debris smashes into the ship (normal +0D). So the character must roll the ships Hull strength vs. 6D.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Space debris and impacts Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Got to watching Gravity a few hrs ago.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I am interested. Is it good?.

garhkal wrote:
Makes me wonder how you would handle those sorts of space junk/debris hitting a ship, or a ship maneuvering through it (going into our out of orbit)?

With sensor and tractor beam technology being what it is SW, I would imagine that most planets would not have a bunch of space junk floating around the planet like we do here.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Space debris and impacts Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Got to watching Gravity a few hrs ago.. Makes me wonder how you would handle those sorts of space junk/debris hitting a ship, or a ship maneuvering through it (going into our out of orbit)?

I'd set a basic piloting difficulty. Then adjust the piloting difficulty in accordance with the speed.
Cautious is -1 difficulty level
High is +1 difficulty Level
All Out is +2 difficulty levels

Since the collision damage on the maneuver mishap table is dependent on the amount the pilot failed by, going faster will end up increasing the severity of the impact.

The one off collision from out of nowhere I'd save for a failed roll with a one on the wild die. And then I'd run it like a hyperspace mishap., that is more as a plot device for an adventure as opposed to just damage.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd go straght with the RAW too, determined by the speed of the craft.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Space debris and impacts Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

garhkal wrote:
Makes me wonder how you would handle those sorts of space junk/debris hitting a ship, or a ship maneuvering through it (going into our out of orbit)?

With sensor and tractor beam technology being what it is SW, I would imagine that most planets would not have a bunch of space junk floating around the planet like we do here.

Yes, unless those on the planet don't want people to know people are down there, or they don't want easy access to their planet ... Pirates and Rebels would both fit into those groups.

Forgive all spelling errors.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Space debris and impacts Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I just take the ship's hull/shield value and throw a damage value at it just high enough at it to make things interesting i.e. enough to score a light or at most heavily damage result but not destroy them outright with a bad turn of the dice.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting responses so far.. Keep em a comming!
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Space debris and impacts Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Got to watching Gravity a few hrs ago.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I am interested. Is it good?.

It IS in fact quite amazing and awesome. Highly recommended, I don't even call it a science-fiction movie, I say it a "Science-based fictional story".
Whill wrote:

This may or may not be so, but what about starship derelict graveyards (where I have set several of my adventures in the past) which aren't closely or carefully governed. Or what about having to go back to Yavin where the wreckage of the original Death Star is still collected. Or any random orbital space station which has been mysteriously attacked and/or destroyed, where the remains are still present. This definitely leads to flying debris and a great deal of difficult "terrain" for flying around, especially when looking for a specific hunk of ship or hunk of station.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Space debris and impacts Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Whill wrote:

Random_Axe wrote:
This may or may not be so, but what about starship derelict graveyards (where I have set several of my adventures in the past) which aren't closely or carefully governed. Or what about having to go back to Yavin where the wreckage of the original Death Star is still collected. Or any random orbital space station which has been mysteriously attacked and/or destroyed, where the remains are still present. This definitely leads to flying debris and a great deal of difficult "terrain" for flying around, especially when looking for a specific hunk of ship or hunk of station.

I'm not saying there would never be scenarios of navigating through space debris in the game. Based on what I know about Earth's real-life "orbital junkyard" floating around, I took garhkal's OP to include a suggestion that most planets in Star Wars would have a lot of orbital debris that needs dodging. He did say "going into our out of orbit". My response was in general that I don't think most civilized worlds in SW would have that issue, but I can see that I made an assumption about the OP that perhaps I shouldn't have. I see all the other replies in this thread seems to address only the cases where this would be an issue or maybe speaking about space debris in general.

I just meant to say that orbital accidents, lost tools and parts and derelict satellites that leave debris floating around most Star Wars planets would probably be able to be cleaned up fairly easily and quickly. This would make this issue uncommon in orbits, because planets near Earth's level or progress are actually very rare in SW: planets with archaic spaceship technology but without tractor beams, energy shields and more than archaic sensors. There doesn't seem to be a non-interference directive in SW so pre-FTL planets near Earth's level of progress could be invited into the Republic (or taken by force into the Empire) and would suddenly have access to higher technology. Pre-space travel planets would not have any junk in orbit.

And there definitely could be derelict starship graveyards but they would not be intentionally placed in orbit around planets.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jonnjonnzz
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Space debris and impacts Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

If I remember correctly, 1D of the hull rating is assumed to be the particle shields that are designed to protect against collisions with smaller pieces of space debris (trash, micrometeorites, etc...) I really don't think you would need to worry about such things as I am sure the sensors would alert the pilot to anything larger than a piece of debris the size of a lawnmower engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: