The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starship movement failures and out of control
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Starship movement failures and out of control Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Tol-Yun wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Would those particle shields be up and running if the ship was ionised to shutdown?

Why would the ship be ionised to shutdown when full dodging an incoming attack on high speed?

SHould have been ionized OR shutdown (in the first case their shields could have been dropped so still can dodge, not so in the latter).

Well I always considered particle shields to be part of hull dice code (up to 2D). Except if a ship is shutdown, these shields are always up and not affected by ionisation malus. Thus coins or bottle are not a danger for ship.
If the rule don"t match with your scene, forget the result... Or create an other result : your ship goes out of control and spin erraticaly, control systems are overhelmed and screens are flashing with non sense datas... You are completely disoriented and have no idea on how is flying your ship...

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Tol-Yun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Phalanks Balas: That is my understanding of particle shields exactly. Space Travel like in Star Wars would not be possible without or if particle shields would work differently.
Inventing another result is of course an option, however I wanted some clearing up for the RAW.

@garkhal: I'm sorry, I looked through the pages but seem to be unable to recover the mentioned thread in which slowing down was the consensus.

Thanks to everybody for the input so far!

There remains still the question: What happens to a ship that is out of control?
Does it suffer further from movement failures or is this merely a "you cannot dodge for two turns"? And if movement failures apply, how does one regain control (as it would then suffer the same result turn by turn?)
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tol-Yun wrote:

There remains still the question: What happens to a ship that is out of control?
Does it suffer further from movement failures or is this merely a "you cannot dodge for two turns"? And if movement failures apply, how does one regain control (as it would then suffer the same result turn by turn?)

According to the mishap table, failures tend to result in either some sort of pilting penalty, reduction in speed or collision. So you really can't get a perpetual out of control, unless you keep trying difficult maneuvers.

What usually happens in my group is that once someone takes a penalty that lasts beyond the end of the current round, they tend to do something easier (i.e fly straight, level and slow) for a turn or two until the penalty goes away.

I also have a houserule that lets pilots avoid a mishap this turn by increasing the difficulty next turn. The idea is that a pilot usually doesn't mess up the first maneuver he tries, but the cumulative effect is what takes him out. We find that it helps, but it's still just a houserule.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might be tough to come up with a "here's what always happens when one is out of control" definition.

I imagine it can be shown with what we saw with Vader at the Battle of Yavin. Since we were at the climactic finale, he goes spinning out of sight, to be run into again on a later date.

Early in a battle, perhaps he only has to take a round or two to regain control of his ship.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THat was one of the things I liked about Star Warriors. It had a mishap table based upon the complexity of the maneuvers you were attempting, and how much you failed by and it did things like force you to roll, adjust your speed, or even loose a maneuver you were planning.

But it had you make you piloting roll at the begging of the round and then let you move freely, according to what maneuvers you had pre-selected.
Tol-Yun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I am beating an dead horse here, but as I aquired a copy of the revised Gamemaster Screen recently, I wanted to share what this beauty adds exactly to the questions I was asking:

It simply adds: ...see "Spin".

So the speed drops to 1/4 move as a result. Problem solved.

Wink
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the GM Screen, but didn't know that. Thanks for letting us know, Tol-Yun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: