The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starship movement failures and out of control
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Starship movement failures and out of control Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tol-Yun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Starship movement failures and out of control Reply with quote

So, this is something that buggs me all the time when running space combat:

You got a ship on high speed in a moderate difficulty space with (let's say the DN is 12). You are shot at by some fighters and decide it is time for a full dodge in order to save the ship. Full dodge is your only action for this round, so you may not "move". Your movement score is thus 0, which means you look into the chart and apply the result of 12: "Minor Collision".

From some older threads I get it you drop after that round from high speed to cruising speed since you were not able to make a proper move and you may only reduce/increase speed by one. Correct?

Let's assume there is nothing to run into with our minor collision, so our ship goes "out of control". The pilot cannot control the ship for the next two rounds. Ok, so no move and no dodge. What happens to speed? Does it again drop one speed band per round for not making a proper move? So after making a full dodge in a terrain difficulty of 7+ you come to an automatic halt in 3 rounds?

What about the round after the full dodge? We are now on cruising speed in a moderate terrain difficulty and are unable to make a proper move. Does the ship suffer then again from minor collision or since it is cruising speed may pass automaticly since the terrain difficulty is moderate?

Although there seems to be a consense about decelerating after having not performed a move action in previous threads, I see nothing the like in the RAW. The only paragraph mentioning slowing down is 2nd R&E p.125: "A starship that fails a movement roll may slow down, go spinning out of control..."
At 1-10 the results implement a movement penalty, at 11+ they don't. Does that mean the ship does not move at all and comes to an immediate halt?
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take is that the ship doesn't slow down while the pilot is full dodging. Naturally, the ship is moving forward as well. Not as much as a straight shot, of course, but moving in whatever direction the pilot is heading as he bobs and weaves.

Mechanics-wise the ship maintains the same speed, but since the pilot is weaving about it's up to the GM if any real space has been gained. As the ship spins out of control the speed maintains the same unless the GM decides otherwise. Also, accelerating/decelerating is not an action and can be done once a round regardless of "actually" moving.

I like to keep space combat fast and exciting. To that end I try not to get bogged down by exact space and distance numbers. That's how I roll.

Hope this helps.
aegisflashfire
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At all out you cannot declare a dodge.

At high speed, Your dodge roll does NOT exclude your move action. The ship MUST travel at its current speed. (else you could stop on a dime by declaring a full dodge) RAW its not clear, but I would suggest that you allow both rolls OR the pilot auto-fails the move roll OR only the vehicle manuv. code applies (because the pilot cannot contribute)

I tend to like option 1. Just subtract 1D and allow both rolls. But under no circumstances would I allow the full dodge action to act as a 'emergency brake'

In at least one edition (might have been 1st ed Rules supplement) You could declare a full dodge and it combined with ONLY move actions but nothing else.

edit: hmm. the example on page 110 would seem to indicate otherwise. Dodge=no move. I don't like that.
Tol-Yun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Lane Arroway: Actually my group plays a pilot's full dodge is his move roll for the round (minus the terrain difficulty of course) since it is a starship piloting roll. However the RAW seems to suggest otherwise, at least with vehicles.

aegisflashfire wrote:
At all out you cannot declare a dodge.

At high speed, Your dodge roll does NOT exclude your move action. The ship MUST travel at its current speed. (else you could stop on a dime by declaring a full dodge) RAW its not clear, but I would suggest that you allow both rolls OR the pilot auto-fails the move roll OR only the vehicle manuv. code applies (because the pilot cannot contribute)

I tend to like option 1. Just subtract 1D and allow both rolls. But under no circumstances would I allow the full dodge action to act as a 'emergency brake'

At DN 7-10 the current move is reduced to a quarter, meaning at high speed (2xmove) you would hit the break and only fly half your move.

aegisflashfire wrote:
In at least one edition (might have been 1st ed Rules supplement) You could declare a full dodge and it combined with ONLY move actions but nothing else.

A normal reactionary dodge is no problem ruleswise, a full dodge on the other hand collides with the movement failures

aegisflashfire wrote:
edit: hmm. the example on page 110 would seem to indicate otherwise. Dodge=no move. I don't like that.

Since it is the same way with vehicles and starships it seems odd to leave that sentence out of the reactionary "starship dodge" on p. 126. That is exactly why I'm asking what does this imply?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a number of misunderstandings here which I believe are leading to people's confusion.

First off, the OP made reference to "Moderate difficulty", but then also stated that there was "nothing to run into". That doesn't make any sense, being as the rules spell out Moderate space terrain as:

Moderate: 11-15. Flying a starship in crowded space — a busy spacedock staging area. Flying in an area littered with a moderate amount of debris or down the Death Star's artificial canyon.

Secondly, it's important to realize that even moving a single space unit (even a "1") still represents a great deal of space. Look at it this way, consider everywhere you travel today, even if you commute for an hour to your place of work. You likely traveled less than 1 space unit. So a starship that is doing a full dodge is doing what we saw the Falcon doing in TESB when it was ducking and dodging around the asteroid field. Han wasn't choosing to go flying straight forward (perhaps covering numerous space units), but was instead (more or less) remaining stationary, or perhaps covering a single space unit.

So a ship going high speed in a very crowded area of space should have plenty of things to crash into if they fail their movement roll. It's my experience that - unless the ship is in an extremely difficult region of space (like navigating through an asteroid field) - the worst they'll do with a starship collision is a minor slip, no actual damage but perhaps not going as far as they wanted to that turn.
Tol-Yun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
There seems to be a number of misunderstandings here which I believe are leading to people's confusion.

First off, the OP made reference to "Moderate difficulty", but then also stated that there was "nothing to run into". That doesn't make any sense, being as the rules spell out Moderate space terrain as:

Moderate: 11-15. Flying a starship in crowded space — a busy spacedock staging area. Flying in an area littered with a moderate amount of debris or down the Death Star's artificial canyon.

If I follow you correctly, only by failing a maneuver in Very Easy terrain difficulty, one could suffer the second part of the 11-21+ results (If there is anything to hit... otherwise the ship goes spinning wildly out of control~nothing to run into). Am I correct? The movement speed would not be altered then at all?

DougRed4 wrote:
Secondly, it's important to realize that even moving a single space unit (even a "1") still represents a great deal of space. Look at it this way, consider everywhere you travel today, even if you commute for an hour to your place of work. You likely traveled less than 1 space unit. So a starship that is doing a full dodge is doing what we saw the Falcon doing in TESB when it was ducking and dodging around the asteroid field. Han wasn't choosing to go flying straight forward (perhaps covering numerous space units), but was instead (more or less) remaining stationary, or perhaps covering a single space unit.

So a ship going high speed in a very crowded area of space should have plenty of things to crash into if they fail their movement roll. It's my experience that - unless the ship is in an extremely difficult region of space (like navigating through an asteroid field) - the worst they'll do with a starship collision is a minor slip, no actual damage but perhaps not going as far as they wanted to that turn.

So you're saying full dodging always reduces the actually flown distance to 0 space units, while keeping the same movement speed as before? This would force some interesting maneuvering of any close by pursuers, who would have to speed down or fly long turns after passing in a split second.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Effectively yes.. Your full dodge incompases you spinning, rolling, and maneuvering in all 3 dimensions, but your effective forward movement is no net real gain (i usually allow 2su though)..

AS to the piloting roll you would normally need to make for going through terrain, you would first off look at the speed. At high speed (2x) your terrain of moderate is needing to be rolled, but since you full dodged, your roll is naught, so the 12 (if that is what the difficulty number the DM set for a moderate terrain) becomes the failure roll on the maneuvering chart which regardless is a minor collision. Since moderate terrain is listed as being cluttered, there IS going to be something you hit.

And where are you getting that when doing a full dodge, you can slow down at?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tol-Yun wrote:
If I follow you correctly, only by failing a maneuver in Very Easy terrain difficulty, one could suffer the second part of the 11-21+ results (If there is anything to hit... otherwise the ship goes spinning wildly out of control~nothing to run into). Am I correct? The movement speed would not be altered then at all?

THere might be "something to run into" even in open space. Consdiering just how big a SU could be, it's not beyond the reason for there to be something there, even if it isn't a ship, station, planet or asteroid.
Considering that the ships are moving along a traveled route. You could imagine all sorts of things that could be there, a spec of dust, a credit, a part that broke off another ship, trash, dead bodies, an astromech that ejected from it's fighter. Heck, someone might have tossed an empty beer can out of an airlock 1000 years ago!

At the speeds that ships are moving, even a credit coin could conceivable do a lot of damage.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Tol-Yun wrote:

THere might be "something to run into" even in open space. Consdiering just how big a SU could be, it's not beyond the reason for there to be something there, even if it isn't a ship, station, planet or asteroid.
Considering that the ships are moving along a traveled route. You could imagine all sorts of things that could be there, a spec of dust, a credit, a part that broke off another ship, trash, dead bodies, an astromech that ejected from it's fighter. Heck, someone might have tossed an empty beer can out of an airlock 1000 years ago!

At the speeds that ships are moving, even a credit coin could conceivable do a lot of damage.

Or as the Film Gravity showed, satellites that have worn down/out and have been left to "rust"..
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Or as the Film Gravity showed, satellites that have worn down/out and have been left to "rust"..

Yup. Not to mention dark matter. Or some illicit cargo that a freighter captain dumped at the first sign of an Imperial ship. Han must have left it somewhere
Tol-Yun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Tol-Yun wrote:

Well, that is what particle shields are for, no? If the Falcon is but shaken by a small meteor shower of former Alderaan debris without any on board breaking a sweat, the danger of a coin or bear can is near 0. (I know that orbital litter and debris is a dangerous problem for todays spacestations and spacetravel.) Broken parts of other ships are another story completely and a serious danger.

It looks to me like a widespread agreement to simply ignore the second possible consequence of ALL collision results. I agree though, when left out, the rules would probably make more sense.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would those particle shields be up and running if the ship was ionised to shutdown?
Tol-Yun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Would those particle shields be up and running if the ship was ionised to shutdown?

Why would the ship be ionised to shutdown when full dodging an incoming attack on high speed?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others have answered this pretty well. I'll throw in my two bits anyway.

Tol-Yun wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

Yes, it's GM's call if there's anything to hit or not, but as has been discussed, it's pretty easy to come up with something (if you desire). As for altering the movement speed, it's really up to you as GM. Based on the rules that only allow so much deceleration, I often have some continuation, perhaps of a space unit or two, depending on circumstances (and it could be even more, if the ship was moving really fast).

Tol-Yun wrote:
DougRed4 wrote:

So you're saying full dodging always reduces the actually flown distance to 0 space units, while keeping the same movement speed as before? This would force some interesting maneuvering of any close by pursuers, who would have to speed down or fly long turns after passing in a split second.

It doesn't have to be 0, but if often would be. I could also see someone moving 1 space unit or 2, depending on circumstances. The key part is that they're now dodging (thus moving and shaking and rolling), not using this as a way to come to a dead stop.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tol-Yun wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Why would the ship be ionised to shutdown when full dodging an incoming attack on high speed?

SHould have been ionized OR shutdown (in the first case their shields could have been dropped so still can dodge, not so in the latter).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: