The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

locations, locations, locations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> locations, locations, locations Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: locations, locations, locations Reply with quote

I have always tried to use the rule of three when it came to running adventures. I have always tried to have three distinct locations that the characters would visit, three encounters that were somewhat significant, and at least three important, well developed NPCs. Sometimes this would be hard to do, mostly due to pacing (running out of time to run the adventure).

Does anybody else try to fit too much into their game and end up trashing some of it or trying to fit it in some where else that seems unsatisfactory to you the GM. Is there a limit to how structured an adventure should be. And does anyone create random stuff to through out to the players?

One time I created an NPC that took me a few hours with lots of effort, detale and a great back story. He was going to be the great Imperial Captain nemesis of the group. Only to be killed in the first encounter with a trigger happy player at a point in the game that didn't call for combat.
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually working on an adventure right now that has alot going on. First, I had to do an intro game for a new player that setup his background, current motivation and bring him to the rest of the players. Also got to learn how to roll skills and talk to npcs.

Then I have a flashback scene to playout with another pc followed by a script for him to read out with me to set the tone and setup the next session. This is followed by a "Han-shoots-Greedo" inspired scene spoken in huttese(to impress the new guy), to setup the current situation.

Then I move to another pc who's having a dream sequence about her long lost little sister. (Force-sensitives, go figure!) Followed by a scene with a merchant selling her sister's trinket (so that I can have the merchant killed later by her little sister who set the whole thing up. This is described to the players as a cut-away "what's going on in the background" scene after they leave the planet).

Next I cut to the new guy who's never been to Nar Shadaa before so I should probably describe that pretty good. He then runs into the female pc getting into a fight with Zyggerian slavers and helps out.

Now I cut back to the first guy who got beat up and captured by the crimelord he owes money to. (This scene is also played out in huttese as best I can.) He gets a chance to make an escape attempt or just make a call for help.

We cut back to the girl and the new guy meeting up with the others who've found the first guy's beat up friend. They've gathered just in time to get the first guy's call for help and can plan a rescue of somekind.

Not sure what will happen next exactly, but this leads to the mission I set up with the script I read out with the first guy.

(Catching breath) Too much?
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer some of your queations, I find that a loose structure works best for me. I've dealt with players going their own way or throwing wrenches for a while now so I don't spend too much time planning. Like the book suggests, I like to have a few fights, chase scenes, space combat and moments of interaction. Sometimes I put them right into an action scene then flashback to when it all started. It's an old storyteller's trick I picked up along the way.

As for time management, no worries. If you feel its getting late and a fight is about to happen or some other dramatic scene just do the beginning then stop. Cliffhanger. Ex. Heroes get surrounded and smug villian appears... stop. Ex. "Your ship is being pulled in by a tracker beam... see you next week." I say plan whatever scenes you want to do over the course of the adventure. Their are no rules about how long it takes to play them out. I once gm'd an instant adventure and it took me two sessions to get to page 2 because a player decided to cause all sorts of trouble for himself and the group. One pc still talks about how the other got him shot. Twice.

About that NPC, sounds really cool. Were you able to repurpose his backstory for another Imperial Captain nemesis? That's what I would have done. In fact, my group has a Captain nemesis with backstory and they don't even know it, yet. All they know is his ship has appeared in some of their latest battles. He's the young first officer that took over when the original captain was killed in combat and he's vowed revenge!
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious to how many GMs use the "cut-away" device. I have not use a direct "cut-away" where I narrate a scene where the PCs are not involved and have no way to know what is happening in that scene. Is the "its just part of the story" explanation work for the players? And how do the players use the information gleaned from the "cut-aways"?
gavin storm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been a GM, but most I know say "Expect the unexpected." Especially if it involves elements you cant control (in this case players. but anything Force related counts as well.).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since most of my 'adventures' these days are in module format we go with the following..

1) an intro blurb or scrawl.
2) at least one scene which is combat (whether space or ground)
3) at least one scene tech focused (whether hacking or droid/ship)
4) at least one scene investigative
5) at least one scene of pure RP (poss per skill rolls)
6) a force side bar/vision (something usually only force sensitives get, occasionally limited to force users). Its what those CHARACTERS get.
7) a cut away/interlude, the difference between this and a vision is this is OOC knowledge, like you see in films where the camera's pan away from our heroes to show us viewers what is going on elsewhere, WE know the heroes (characters) don't.
8 ) a commercial. Sometimes this advertizes something that can be purchased in that module, other times just for comical fun.
9) script.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use cut-scenes sparingly. This is a mechanic best used with advanced roleplayers. Munchkin/metagamers will use even the slightest bit of information to their benefit.

When I do use cut-scenes I give very little information of what is really happening. It is used more as a foreshadowing device, set a coming scene or wrap up a scene.

You can use cut-scene after the media-rez of the opening, as a plot development device if characters get stuck or if the current action is far away from something that is to come later (foreshadowing) and also to close a scene, showing what the bad guys are doing.

These are just a few examples. Again I would strongly caution you to use them sparingly, do not give too much information with them, and use them for foreshadowing/closure for scenes.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: locations, locations, locations Reply with quote

griff wrote:
One time I created an NPC that took me a few hours with lots of effort, detale and a great back story. He was going to be the great Imperial Captain nemesis of the group. Only to be killed in the first encounter with a trigger happy player at a point in the game that didn't call for combat.

Since the Imperial captain was killed so quickly, his personality, backstory and stats were of no impact in your campaign. The simple solution is to change the name of the character in your write-up, make whatever necessary tweaks are needed to contrive the insertion of a new nemesis in to your story, and introduce the new captain who fills the role of the previous one. The dead captain retroactively now just has a different background than you originally devised. No problem! And maybe this time introduce the nemesis in a way that doesn't make him so easy to kill. 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I use cut-scenes sparingly. This is a mechanic best used with advanced roleplayers. Munchkin/metagamers will use even the slightest bit of information to their benefit.

When I do use cut-scenes I give very little information of what is really happening. It is used more as a foreshadowing device, set a coming scene or wrap up a scene.

True, there is the temptation for munchkins to use that knowledge, but if you are KNOWN to cramp down on OOC knowledge used in game, they get the hint to NOT use it (or get punished).
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
shootingwomprats wrote:

True, there is the temptation for munchkins to use that knowledge, but if you are KNOWN to cramp down on OOC knowledge used in game, they get the hint to NOT use it (or get punished).

In which case what is the point of the cut-scene? In the films it is used to convey information to the audience. But if players can't take advantage of information revealed in a cut-scene, there is no point in having one.

I mean, I suppose you could do a cut scene with Vader doing his taxes and being upset that his TIE Advanced wasn't a deductible expense, but so what?
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In which case what is the point of the cut-scene? In the films it is used to convey information to the audience. But if players can't take advantage of information revealed in a cut-scene, there is no point in having one.

I've read so many WEG adventures that use cut-aways. I believe it's a way to tell a more complete story. True, the pc's don't know the information but the players get the satisfaction of knowing how pissed their enemies are or that one more captain is going to get force choked.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe it's a way to tell a more complete story. True, the pc's don't know the information but the players get the satisfaction of knowing how pissed their enemies are or that one more captain is going to get force choked.

Thank you Lane, that was exactly what I was trying to convey with my response. You did a better job of it than I.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

I mean, I suppose you could do a cut scene with Vader doing his taxes and being upset that his TIE Advanced wasn't a deductible expense, but so what?

Just like the adverts, its something to keep the cinematic feel going. it helps the story along while still giving the information to the PLAYERS (not their characters) that its a breathing living world.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I use cut-scenes, but pretty rarely. For example, at the end of the first "Episode" (the equivalent time of one film), I showed the Hutt (whose plans the PCs had foiled) talking to his Trandoshan henchman, sending him after the players.

This adds some tension and gives them a peek behind the curtain, but my players know this is OOC (out of character) knowledge, so can't/don't get to use it in any way.

Another example of what I might do would be to show Tarkin addressing Vader saying "She lied. She lied to us!", with Vader responding "I told you she would never consciously betray the Rebellion!"

Giving them a scene like this only enhances the experience for everyone. The key is to keep them short (since they don't involve the PCs) and not give them a ton of info (that would be hard to ignore for their characters).

As far as locations go, I realized (a bit late) that I'd used too many locations in my Episode II. Episodes I and III I seem to be on track with (having three primary locations), which just helps it to have that 'Star Wars feel'. In Ep. II, it might have been more "realistic", but the PCs were running around all over the galaxy.

I don't usually try to fit too much in, but it does happen, being as I really let the PCs decide where they're going next.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few of the cut scenes i have wrote into my modules for examples of what i use them for..

Quote:
Atop a building, a lone figure sits, polishing a skull. At figure’s feet lies the dead body with its skin and spine removed. The figure is meticulous and attentive to his task. When finished, it raises the skull, and lets out a roar. Fade to black…..

Quote:
A robed figure, sits in meditation atop a pedestal, a person in the garbs of a religious monk approaches and says, “Sorry to disturb you honored high one, but we have detected another off-world ship coming through the field. Do you wish us to go and greet them?”
The robed-one, turns his head. “That will not be necessary; I sense they will come to us. Prepare the test.”
“Yes most honored one.” The monk bows and leaves.

Quote:
A door opens, and a strange animal shrieks in pain. The camera pans in that direction, as you see 4 white clad scientists staring at a bear like animal. By it’s size, you figure it to be young, when the lead scientist speaks “We are close to perfecting a healing serum, based on these abominations saliva. If it is a success, we can arm our troops with as much as needed, and no longer depend on bacta.”
Another speaks to a helmeted trooper “54878, take a group of troopers out and secure some more specimens.”
The trooper nods, and leaves…

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: