The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What an incredible sense of smell you've discovered
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> What an incredible sense of smell you've discovered Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: What an incredible sense of smell you've discovered Reply with quote

Character creation for Ewoks: they get 2D for every 1D put into Hide, Search, and Sneak. With a Perception 4D+1 (Blue Vader Book, Ewok Warrior) 1D to Search would give the character 6D+1, A specialization Search: Tracking, taking 1D of creation Dice splitting it into three +1 for 1D in specializations, 1D to Search: Tracking would give a skill of 8D+1. As you can give up to 2D to any skill in character creation. Plus the specie's bonus of +1D to search by smell would be an adjusted Search: Tracking of 9D+1!! For a beginning character. I don't know about anyone else, but I would allow this.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be if you allowed maxing things out for their creation, vice used established templates.
Just like a barbel 5d str, +2d armor phys wearing flack vest + combat jumpsuit (an allowed combination by the rules) has 9d to soak physical damage, before any force points/character points are spent.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My example isn't even maxing the skills out if Search and Search: Tracking are considered two different skills. With a 2D max creation dice to one kill could make Search 8D+1 and Search: Tracking 12D+1 with an adjusted Search: Tracking by smell bonus of 13D+1. That could be maxing out the bonus. 2D to base skill, 2 pips turn to 2D for specializations as I have read the rules.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only put 1 pip per specialty though to get that +1d.. Its split 1d up into 3 specializations, not dump them all into one specialty.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but that +1 pip still is 1D into a search skill which gives the 2D per 1D bonus then that still is an adjusted search: tracking by scent of 11D+1. Not to shabby.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen anyone consider a specialty bought at cha creation to get that 2 for 1 bonus that any race gives. Otherwise it would make for some seriously munchkin races out there. Take gammoreans for example. They get 2d for each 1d placed into the skills of melee brawl and thrown weapons skill. If the 2 for 1 worked on specialties as well, you could have technically a Gammorean who had 4d dex +4d for 2d placed into melee +2d for 1 specialty of vibro axe (their usual/racial weapon).. for a wapping 10d starting out. Most everything you fought would be 'owned' at that level.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Never seen anyone consider a specialty bought at cha creation to get that 2 for 1 bonus that any race gives. Otherwise it would make for some seriously munchkin races out there. Take gammoreans for example. They get 2d for each 1d placed into the skills of melee brawl and thrown weapons skill. If the 2 for 1 worked on specialties as well, you could have technically a Gammorean who had 4d dex +4d for 2d placed into melee +2d for 1 specialty of vibro axe (their usual/racial weapon).. for a wapping 10d starting out. Most everything you fought would be 'owned' at that level.

Oooh..

Actually, if I recall correctly, the 2 for 1 rule doesn't let you get around the usual starting cap of +2D in one skill. So the Gammy could only get +2D in melee combat (at 1D cost). If you doubled the specialty (a grey area in the RAW, I think), then Gammy would end up with 8D, which is still brutal, but only 1D higher than any other PC with a 4D DEX, and the right template could start with.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, neither have I seen anything in the RAW saying whether you can go past the 2d above starting attribute due to that 2 for 1 for certain skills/races..
For those who have the adventure journals which DID have clarifications for certain rules, did this ever get addressed??
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True, neither have I seen anything in the RAW saying whether you can go past the 2d above starting attribute due to that 2 for 1 for certain skills/races..
For those who have the adventure journals which DID have clarifications for certain rules, did this ever get addressed??

I think it did somewhere. Basically in some of the character templates it mentions that the 2 for 1 doesn't let the character exceed the +2D cap, just that they can max out a lot more skills. It might be in some of the race descriptions, too.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the 2D cap as the amount of creation dice placed into one skill. Which would let you raise the skill higher than the 2D above attribute. These bonuses always states 2D for "every" 1D, which would seem you could place more than 1D of creation dice into these bonused skills.
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I took the 2D cap as the amount of creation dice placed into one skill. Which would let you raise the skill higher than the 2D above attribute. These bonuses always states 2D for "every" 1D, which would seem you could place more than 1D of creation dice into these bonused skills.

No, I believe it is stated that way to avoid confusion of "what if I only put 1 or 2 pips?" I believe 2d is still the maximum to put in those skills at character creation. Considering that would be +4D to that skill, that's alot.

However, you could try it as a house rule.

On the subject of specializations, some templates start with them.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the core book ones do, the only ones i see are a pair in rules of engagement and a few elsewhere..
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I went through the core rulebook very carefully to see exactly how chargen is worded and.

1) A character can place 1D or 2D in a skill on their template. So those aliens that ge tthe double dice would indeed be able to get +4D for 2D.

2) It specifically states that a character can trade off 1D of skill dice for three specializations. Not 3D worth. So a character couldn't take one skill multiple times.

3) Since a character doesn't actually spend the skill die for specialization in the various skills, it wouldn't be doubled.

But even so, it is technically possible for a Gammorean PC to start with 9D skill with his axe. Shocked

And it would be pretty cheap to raise it, too! Shocked Shocked
Lane Arroway
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure would. Quite a few races have this special ability. Have you noticed that a pc gammorean could almost max out all it's stats? Just shy 1 pip.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lane Arroway wrote:
Sure would. Quite a few races have this special ability. Have you noticed that a pc gammorean could almost max out all it's stats? Just shy 1 pip.

WOW! Shocked
All these years and I never noticed that! But then I think I've only seen 1 Gammy PC, ever.

That would make Gammy PC's problematic. Even if a player wan't trying to mini-max, he is going to end up with at least 5D+2 in melee weapons. (3D+2 DEX, and only 1D into melee- which is nice of the player, since the culture really justifies maxing out melee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: