The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How my group will handle the lightsaber combat situation...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> How my group will handle the lightsaber combat situation... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentuSinn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: How my group will handle the lightsaber combat situation... Reply with quote

In regards to the whole "lightsaber combat is overpowered" consensus, I have developed a system, that I'd like some feedback on Smile

Here are the major elements of the rule revision:
- Lightsaber attacks and parries are done with the lightsaber skill. (as in the RAW)
- The lightsaber combat power still exists, but it is a passive/reaction power (like detoxify poison etc). Meaning any Jedi who has it can deflect blaster bolts with his sense skill and redirect bolts with his control skill.
- Lightsaber damage cannot be argumented with the Force, but they do ignore the protection of armor, symbolizing the cutting aspects of the energy weapon.

The reasoning for removing the lightsaber combat
RAW is to keep high level Jedi from being game-breakingly powerful.
This allows for some seperation between the martial aspects of Jedi and the use of the Force. (Jedi can still argument their battle prowess with Enhance Attribute, Combat Sense etc. Powers which I feel better represent what is written in the books.)

I didn't want to remove the power entirely, because I wanted a rule change that would mesh well with the established character stats. This method would again simplify things immensely while keeping the tone of the game.

The lightsaber ignoring personal armor bonuses is something I borrowed from d20 (yeah, I know). But I actually like the idea. A lightsaber deals 5D damage (avg) but it cuts and doesn't "just" explode on the surface like a blaster bolt.
This would also give the players more of a reason to modify their lightsabers. Something that isn't really necessary with control dice being added to damage.

My players really liked this idea too Smile
Let's look at Darth Vader as an example.
In battle he would have 24D (LSC, CS; even more with EA, -2D MAP) to attack and defend and his lightsaber would deal 14D+1 of damage.
This is insane and no player would have fun playing his character. Litterally nothing could hit him, let alone worry him or give him a sense of excitement and adrenaline. And anything he would hit would be instantly destroyed. Nothing short of another Jedi of equal power could challenge him. And by then it's a coinflip with that many dice.
It is highly unlikely, that Luke Skywalker would have lasted a single round against Vader in RotJ. With 11D more damage die than Strength die, you're as good a dead on the first hit.

With my method Vader would fight with 13D+2 (lightsaber + CS), and Luke with 10D+1. Much better odds for the Jedi Knight.
This would also allow something like the Jango vs. Obi-Wan fight to last more than a couple of rounds.
Jedi ARE still powerful, more powerful than a soldier of equal training, but they just don't break the game.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even in the movies an occasional Uber Jedi was taken down by a low level character so it does make sense in some ways.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done, Bentu. Certainly a step in the right direction. If you browse through the House Rules section you'll see that quite a few of us have house ruled things regarding the Jedi, Lightsaber Combat, Duels, and the Force.

You can read my variant here, which has worked pretty well for our group so far.
Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this. Of all the house rules I've seen this is my fav version for the Lightsaber Combat power.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a game balance standpoint, its pretty solid. I personally prefer to preserve the one-hit-victories that we see in the movies. So I like to see big damage with lightsabers.

Still, I like it (probably because it is so similar to my own rules).
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am intrigued by this mechanic but I am having some problem following it. Let me see if I understand this correctly.

Lightsaber Combat:
1. Passive, does not require activation or "kept up". Does not incur a MAP penalty.
2. Lightsaber + Sense when attacking
3. Control no longer adds to lightsaber damage
4. Lightsaber + Sense to parry a blaster bolt (reactive skill)
5. Control to redirect a blaster bolt (action, takes place in same action phase as parry).

Lightsabers:
1. Lightsaber always do 5D unless modified
2. Lightsabers ignore all armor bonuses.

Example: Blok-tu-Duun has Lightsaber 5D, Control 5D and Sense 5D.
1. Declares 1 action. His lightsaber skill is 10D (5D Lightsaber skill + 5D Sense) and his damage 5D (ignores armor).
2. Declares 3 actions, the MAP is -2, Lightsaber 8D (5D Lightsaber skill + 5D Sense -2 MAP) and his damage 5D (armor piercing).

Is this correct in your system? The reason I ask is the numbers you gave for Vader at the bottom didn't make sense to me. So I had to go back and read and re-read the mechanics and I am still unsure I understand them correctly.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with blaster redirection etc being a "passive" aspect, should not Maps still apply though? Especially if they still need to activate the power to have it up and running.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. The original write-up is confusing and the reason I requested additional information.

If I were to use this mechanic, blocking blaster shots would be a "reactive" skill. The player has the option of taking a MAP or forgoing all additional actions in that round to use it without a MAP (this is RAW).

Now, since this is a "reactive" parry it is in place until the end of the round. So once you have rolled the parry that is the difficulty the enemies must roll higher than to hit the character.

Each incoming attack can be redirected back using the control power. Each such attack is considered an action and would be assessed a MAP.

The above additional rule is not something I saw or inferred in the original mechanics, it is something I added because it made sense in reference to RAW. Under "Lightsaber Combat", line 5 I did denote it as an "action".
@swd6podcast, Twitter
BentuSinn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
I am intrigued by this mechanic but I am having some problem following it. Let me see if I understand this correctly.

Lightsaber Combat:
1. Passive, does not require activation or "kept up". Does not incur a MAP penalty.
2. Lightsaber + Sense when attacking
3. Control no longer adds to lightsaber damage
4. Lightsaber + Sense to parry a blaster bolt (reactive skill)
5. Control to redirect a blaster bolt (action, takes place in same action phase as parry).

Lightsabers:
1. Lightsaber always do 5D unless modified
2. Lightsabers ignore all armor bonuses.

Example: Blok-tu-Duun has Lightsaber 5D, Control 5D and Sense 5D.
1. Declares 1 action. His lightsaber skill is 10D (5D Lightsaber skill + 5D Sense) and his damage 5D (ignores armor).
2. Declares 3 actions, the MAP is -2, Lightsaber 8D (5D Lightsaber skill + 5D Sense -2 MAP) and his damage 5D (armor piercing).

Is this correct in your system? The reason I ask is the numbers you gave for Vader at the bottom didn't make sense to me. So I had to go back and read and re-read the mechanics and I am still unsure I understand them correctly.

You do seem to have misunderstood some stuff, so lets see if I can clear it up.

Re: lightsaber combat
1. Yes, that is true.
2. No. ONLY lightsaber when attacking, and parrying melee attacks.
3. Correct.
4. No. ONLY sense when parrying rangen attacks.
5. Yes.

Re: lightsabers
1. Correct.
2. Yes, however some armors are custom built to resist lightsabers specifically.

Re: you example
1. Blok-tu-Duun declares 1 action and his attacks with a lightsaber skill of 5D. He deals 5D damage (if not modified).
2. If he declares 3 actions he would attack with a skill of 3D.

Hope this gives you a better understanding of my version of the rules.
The numbers I listed for Vader were his RAW lightsaber skill of 11D+2 plus an additional 2D for the combat sense power (most likely user by all Jedi in batter since it grants +2D to all combat actions and doesn't envoke MAPs).
Smile
BentuSinn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Even with blaster redirection etc being a "passive" aspect, should not Maps still apply though? Especially if they still need to activate the power to have it up and running.

In my version of the rules, lightsaber combat does not need to be "kept up". It functions much like detoxify poison. It remains passive, until an attack triggers it.
Without it you simply don't have the option of blocking blasters and must use the Dodge skill.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[BentuSiin] Though I like some of what your suggesting, it seriously neuters LSC. You would need at least Force skills in the 6D-7D range to make deflecting bolts even feasible. Especially when you start taking into account all the MAPs involved. WOW!
@swd6podcast, Twitter
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In battle he would have 24D (LSC, CS; even more with EA, -2D MAP) to attack and defend and his lightsaber would deal 14D+1 of damage.
This is insane and no player would have fun playing his character. Litterally nothing could hit him, let alone worry him or give him a sense of excitement and adrenaline. And anything he would hit would be instantly destroyed. Nothing short of another Jedi of equal power could challenge him. And by then it's a coinflip with that many dice.
It is highly unlikely, that Luke Skywalker would have lasted a single round against Vader in RotJ. With 11D more damage die than Strength die, you're as good a dead on the first hit.

With my method Vader would fight with 13D+2 (lightsaber + CS), and Luke with 10D+1. Much better odds for the Jedi Knight.
This would also allow something like the Jango vs. Obi-Wan fight to last more than a couple of rounds.
Jedi ARE still powerful, more powerful than a soldier of equal training, but they just don't break the game.

I don't understand any of this, none of the number make sense to me. Please explain your example. Use little words so us dummies can understand =)

Also not sure I understand the Sense and Control. I get Sense to deflect and Control to redirect, I get that. But I don't understand if each of these is a "reactive action" and thus incurs a MAP for of the actions.

For example, the Jedi is shot three times. If he was to block each one that is 3 actions and if he redirected those attacks that is another 3 actions, not including an additional actions he might take, that at least a -6D MAP.

I am wondering if what might be best is that the Jedi declares he is parrying incoming fire as a "reactive skill" +1 MAP or forgo the rest of his actions in that round for no MAP. He rolls sense one time, this is the target number that characters must overcome to hit him, otherwise they bounce harmlessly off his lightsaber.

As a "free reactive action", taking place at the time the blaster bolt is deflected the Jedi could try to re-direct the shots at a different target.

But then if you do not put in a MAP then deflecting blaster bolts just become free attacks. I am not sure what the answer is.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
BentuSinn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
[BentuSiin] Though I like some of what your suggesting, it seriously neuters LSC. You would need at least Force skills in the 6D-7D range to make deflecting bolts even feasible. Especially when you start taking into account all the MAPs involved. WOW!

You are ofcourse entitled to you opinion Very Happy
I do not feel that way, however. Lightsaber combat, in The RAW is a serious problem for long term campaigns. It does not reflect at all what is seen in the movies and novels etc.
A lightsaber shouldn't deal 15D damage and no one should attack and parry with 25D.

A Jedi with a 6D-7D range would still have significant advantages over a blaster wielding foe of The same skill level.
For instance there is danger sense, combat sense, enhance attribute and simular powers to further enhance The Jedi skills.
Plus a Jedi would/should have significantly more Force points at his disposal.

In my mind a Jedi's main weapon is The Force and The lightsaber is more a tool. With my rules The Jedi characters aren't necessarily über fighters, but Can definately become that if they want. It just isn't a given and it isn't free and unbalanced.
BentuSinn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Quote:

I don't understand any of this, none of the number make sense to me. Please explain your example. Use little words so us dummies can understand =)

Also not sure I understand the Sense and Control. I get Sense to deflect and Control to redirect, I get that. But I don't understand if each of these is a "reactive action" and thus incurs a MAP for of the actions.

For example, the Jedi is shot three times. If he was to block each one that is 3 actions and if he redirected those attacks that is another 3 actions, not including an additional actions he might take, that at least a -6D MAP.

I am wondering if what might be best is that the Jedi declares he is parrying incoming fire as a "reactive skill" +1 MAP or forgo the rest of his actions in that round for no MAP. He rolls sense one time, this is the target number that characters must overcome to hit him, otherwise they bounce harmlessly off his lightsaber.

As a "free reactive action", taking place at the time the blaster bolt is deflected the Jedi could try to re-direct the shots at a different target.

But then if you do not put in a MAP then deflecting blaster bolts just become free attacks. I am not sure what the answer is.

I'll try to explain Very Happy

In the RAW
Darth Vader has a lightsaber skill of 11D+2
He has a sense skill of 12D+1
He has a control skill of 11D+1
His lightsaber deals 5D damage

When Darth Vader activates his lightsaber combat power he adds his lightsaber skill (11D+2) to his sense skill (12D+1) for a combined attack and parry total. This would be 24D.
Now since he "keeps up" two force skills any additional action Vader takes would be a -2D.
So this means Vader attacks and parries with 22D.
However Force skills like combat sense (that grant +2D to all combat skills) can effectively negate this penalty.
This means that Vader, once again, attacks and parries with 24D.
Now a Force power like Enhance Attribute, or Concentration can further enhance his abilities.

Now his lightsaber would deal 5D damage + his Control skill (-2D for MAPs),which would result in a Darth Vader character wielding a weapon dealing 14D+1 i damage.

Hope this makes sense now Very Happy

In regard to your questions, I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but I'll do my best to answer.

If Luke Skywalker (8D sense) for instance is shot at 3 times, he would roll his Sense skill (-1D if he takes another action later on), and that would be the difficulty that all three shooters would have to beat.
Now if he wanted to redirect each of them then that would be 4 total actions, and would reduce his initial sense roll (to block) to 5D, and each subsequent redirect would be made with Luke's control skill of 10D (-3D for MAPs) for a total of 7D.

This is, if I understand you correctly, excactly how I run my games. This is also the RAW (again if I understand you correctly).

Last edited by BentuSinn on Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
BentuSinn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
[BentuSiin] You would need at least Force skills in the 6D-7D range to make deflecting bolts even feasible. WOW!

Not really.
You don't need 6D-7D to make dodging conceivably possible for instance. Blocking and redirecting is no different.

Let's do an example:
A stormtrooper is shooting a Jedi Rhaan, who has a control of 4D and a sense of 4D+1.
The stormtrooper rolls his blaster skill of 3D (4D-1D from armor) and rolls a 10.
Rhaan then declares he would like to redirect the blaster shot back at the stormtrooper and rolls his sense of 3D+1 (4D+1-1D for MAPs) and rolls a 13.
He successfully blocks the blaster bolt.
Now he rolls his control skill of 3D (4D-1D for MAPs) and rolls a 9. Since the stormtrooper is standing a short range (an Easy diff), he easily redicts the blaster bolt back towards the stormtrooper.

Now granted the stormtrooper could just have easily have hit Rhaan and killed him, but I think that represents a Jedi of that skill level accurately.
However since you can spend up to 5 CP to avoid being hit and then another 5 to shrugg of damage, the edge will always go to the defender in a contest of equal skill.

Keep in mind that no other character even has the option of TRYING to redirect blaster bolts, once again emphazising the Jedi's power (even at low levels of skill).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: