The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Difficulty Dice / Random Difficulties
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Difficulty Dice / Random Difficulties
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Difficulty Dice / Random Difficulties Reply with quote

With the new FFG narrative dice mechanic http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3976, I've been reminded of the optional "Random Difficulties" rule on Page 76 of the 2nd Ed. R&E Rulebook.

I'm curious as to how often people use this optional rule to determine difficulties? Do people use different colored dice for these? It seems that doing so would be very similar to using the difficulty, challenge, and setback dice used in the FFG system.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally had forgotten about that rule. I had to go and look it up just to remind myself what you were talking about.

For me personally I just decide on how difficult the task is in relationship to the chart, and so long as they hit a number somewhere in that difficulty range, I usually call it good. Seldom to I say, "You have to hit exactly a 13." Sometimes if I think a 16 is too low I may say "That's on the harder end of Difficult" if I think they should have to hit closer to 20.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to take a look at that, too (as I didn't recall it).

I pick the Difficulty Level (say, Moderate), then I base how low or high it is based on where we're at in the campaign. We've been playing for a bit over a year so far, so I've been using the lowest number on the chart from that column. So if the range is 11-15, I go with 11 for both the bad guys and the good guys.

Very soon (after this pivotal battle with a Dark Jedi), which will be for us the end of "Episode 2", I'll ramp things up a bit, so now in that same range they'll have to (usually) hit a 12.

That way, way down the road, perhaps as the campaign winds to a close, things will be even more difficult, and eventually the numbers to hit will be the high end of the range.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they don't ask to know the diff, and i care not, i sometimes randomize it, but a lot of times i do tell them at least where it sits (its midline moderate, or top end difficult etc).
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one who'd kind of forgotten about this optional difficulty mechanic. One of the things I like about the FFG narrative system is the ability to attribute the cause of either failure/success or related advantages/disadvantages to a specific cause. For example, if a setback die roll in the FFG system associated with heavy rain caused a failed roll, you know that you can "blame it on the rain" in essence (sorry, now I'll be singing that song for a while). In d6, if you have multiple modifiers adding to the difficulty, your single roll doesn't identify which of those modifiers caused the failure/success or other complications/advantages, since the modifiers are just all summed up.

At the same time I think it's also part of the weakness with the FFG narrative dice system, in that it kind of "forces" these results through a mechanical process, instead of allowing the GM to interpret the results as she/he sees fits the story line best. FFG players - please feel free to disagree with me.

Anyway, this optional d6 rule seems like it could be used to serve a "narrative dice" mechanic of sorts, and that's why I was particularly interested to see if people ever used the rule with different colored dice to tie a difficulty modifier to a particular cause.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We rarely use it. For the most part is is just another roll. In fact, we've been considering going the opposite route and eliminating most of the die rolls. For instance having the NPCs always roll average and just letting the PCs roll.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
We rarely use it. For the most part is is just another roll. In fact, we've been considering going the opposite route and eliminating most of the die rolls. For instance having the NPCs always roll average and just letting the PCs roll.

So for any NPC to get a difficult roll, using averages (3.5 per D) he would need 5d minimum (17.5). and 9d for a heroic..
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the wild die would change those odds slightly, Garhkal.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
atgxtg wrote:

So for any NPC to get a difficult roll, using averages (3.5 per D) he would need 5d minimum (17.5). and 9d for a heroic..

Not quite.The NPCs wouldn't roll anything but instead generate a set difficulty that the PCs would have to beat. For instance, rather than having the stormtroopers roll to hit the PCs they would generate a total that the PCs would need to beat in order to dodge. The idea is to make everything revolve around the players rolls and to speed the game up. Situations where the NPCs would need to roll would be minimized or eliminated.

Due to the nature of D6 there are a couple of rules that might need to be tweaked such as minimum difficulties for weapons and range, but I suspect most of those could be replaced with a modifier to the PCs rolls.

I would even like to extend this to damage and "soak" rolls. NPC damaged could be average (i.e. 14 for a blaster pistol, 18 for a rifle). I think the wild die would give enough variability to the rolls to keep things dangerous.

One thing I think this would do is help with running big battles. Rather than stopping to roll a couple dozen attacks with a ISD, the GM could just set a difficulty for the PCs to avoid being hit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: