The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I ran Star Wars Edge of The Empire for free RPG Day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> I ran Star Wars Edge of The Empire for free RPG Day
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: I ran Star Wars Edge of The Empire for free RPG Day Reply with quote

The system is actually pretty fun.

The game uses special dice and the core mechanics of the game revolve around the dice.

Ability Dice are 8 sided dice with 1 blank side, and the other sides are filled with Successes and Advantages.

Proficiency dice are 12 sided, have 1 blank side, and the other sides are filled with Successes and Advantages and 1 Triumph.

There is also a Boost, which is 6 sided, has 2 blank sides, and hand some successes and advantages.

Success designates that a character succeeds in a task.

Advantages gives characters bonuses such as giving boost dice to other party members, or triggering critical hits.

Triumph's are Special. A Triumph counts as a success and also something good happens. While the Success portion of the Triumph can be canceled out, a good thing still happens when a Triumph is rolled.

These dice are offset by other dice.

Difficulty Dice are 8 sided, with 1 blank side, and full of failures and threat.

Challenge Dice are 12 sided with 1 blank side, and full of failures, threat, and a Despair.

And set-back dice are 6 sided dice with 2 blank sides and have failures and threat.

Core Mechanics:

1. Successes and Failures cancel each other out. If there are any successes remaining the player succeeds in what they were trying trying to do.

2. Advantages and Threat cancel each other out. If there are any advantages leftover, something good happens to the character, even if they fail at the task. The same is true of Threat. Something bad happens even if the roll was successful.

3. Something good always happens when a Triumph is rolled, even if the roll fails.

4. Something bad always happens when a Despair is rolled, even if the roll succeeds.

5. Players roll all of the difficulty dice as well as as well as their own dice, at the same time, so resolving rolls happens in a few seconds and really picks up speed once players have been playing with the dice for a few minutes.

It's a Superior system to D20 Star Wars and it has the potential to be good system. I also think that the system could be converted into D6 very easily and vice versa.

================

I also picked up some other nice goodies while I was there.

Catalyst game labs is printing new editions for Shaddowrun and Battletech in the near future and I got some quick-start rules for it.

I also got a book from an IP I've never heard about before called "Lamentations of the Flame Princess" which appears to be horror centric old school rpg.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I ran Star Wars Edge of The Empire for free RPG Day Reply with quote

strongarm85 wrote:
I also think that the system could be converted into D6 very easily and vice versa.

Yeah, I've got the beginner box and it was pretty fun. It certainly keeps you on your toes, and I usually run a "on your toes-heavy" kind of game.

I'd be interested to see some conversion rubrics once the final book comes out. It will all really depend on what kind of deal I can get on the book once its out, though. I'm not anxious to drop a huge wad of cash on a system I may or may not play.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I ran Star Wars Edge of The Empire for free RPG Day Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this.

strongarm85 wrote:
I also think that the system could be converted into D6 very easily and vice versa.

I hope that's true, and on the off chance that they keep the license through the release of new films, that would be even better so that we can keep on playing the good stuff with the new baubles.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like to try this game out!
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game does look interesting.

For anyone interested, there are a bunch of free downloadable characters at Fantasy Flight Games website.

Just yesterday I also downloaded a large, free adventure called "The Long Arm of the Hutt" from them as well.

Both should work well for the FFG game or could be converted for use with (or to pull stuff for) d6 (the latter is why I grabbed the stuff).
Galadrin
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the adventure, but it didn't seem suitably Star Wars for my taste. In particular, the gruesome "cargo" the players might find on a certain ship could not imaginably be part of the original three movies.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had a chance to read through it yet.

BTW, welcome, Galadrin! Smile
Galadrin
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I haven't had a chance to read through it yet.

BTW, welcome, Galadrin! Smile

Hehe, thanks! I should have probably said "Hi" in a greeting thread somewhere...
gallandro
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great system and I've been running it for months with my regular D6. They love the narrative die system.

Yancy
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one did you look at? Shadows of the black sun didn't have a crate like that. There was a crate of smuggled weapons and a crate of Spice that was part of a stolen spice shipment.
strongarm85
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run a few more sessions of Edge of the Empire now and everyone's been having a fun time.

Everyone decided to create new characters rather than continue their characters from the Free RPG day adventure, so not only were my carefully crafted campaign plans foiled, but I ended up running the adventure in the back of the Core Rulebook instead!

--Spoilers--

Its actually pretty good for an introductory adventure. The PCs are contacted by a mid-ranking Hutt lord named Thakba to hunt down the leader of a band of Pirates that have been Harassing ships along the Kessel run, an Aqualish named Banden Dohbah. Thakba offers 5,000 Credits for capturing Pirate alive, but the Empire is offering 10,000 to return him to Kessel in any condition (but you know, that involves actually dealing with the Empire).

After spending three hours to creating characters, the Players managed to track down the Pirate's base with the help of an ownerless R4 droid that the party managed to rescue from some of Banden's men. Turns out Banden's made a home for himself in the tunnels of a giant asteroid that had been carved out previously by a Space Slug.

Along the way they manage to jam transmissions on Banden's Scout Probe which prevented him from being alerted while the Party shot it down.

The PCs managed to approach Banden's ship without alerting him, they ended up taking down the crew with stun setting weapons and managed to capture Banden's entire crew alive. None of the PCs died, although a couple of them sustained critical injuries, and one of the Trandoshans got his arm cut off by a Vibro-axe (eh, it'll grow back).
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a very fun first adventure! 8)
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...it is worth buying?

[edit] Doesn't matter anymore...already ordered Wink .

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
gallandro
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation to anyone is give the Beginner Game a whirl. You can't beat the price tag (only $30 bucks) and it includes a brief summary of the rules, a set of the EotE dice and other great resources like maps, character tokens, etc. Run your group through a couple of sessions... you'll know by then whether it's worth the buy for the Core book.

Right now, I'm running EotE with my WEG group and we are having a blast, but every group is different. But the Beginner Game will give you a good gauge of whether the game is a good buy for you.

Yancy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: