The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Dueling
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lightsaber Dueling Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Lightsaber Dueling Reply with quote

Yeah, I know, that again. Well here is yet another variant for handling lightsaber duels to try and make them more cinematic. The rules are fairly simple [I think/hope] and are an attempt to set up fights similar to what we see in the films.

Step 1l Each combatnat makes a dueling roll using their Lightsaber skill [no doubt enhanced via Lightsaber Combat]. The winner of this roll earns one or more advantage dice, as per the following [easy to rememder and throw away] table.

Win by
1-9 = +1D for the rest of this turn [only]
10-19 =+1D [carry over]
20-20 = +2D [carry over]
30-39 = +3D [carry over]
etc.

The character with advantage dice has the upper hand dyuring the round. If a character had advatage dice that carry over, he will retain the upper hand. Advantage dice cancel out, so if one side has a :1D advantage, and the next turn the other side wins by 30 and gets a 3D advatage the tidfe of the combat has shifted.

Retreats' A character can retreat or give round during the dueling roll. THis reduces the advatage [either side] by 1D, and requires that the character take at least a half move away from his opponent.

Step 2; Maneuvers and attacks
Once the advantage has been established, the winner can opt to make an attack, try a maneuver, or just continue on with his bladework in an effort to build up a larger advantage.

If the winning character oipts to attack he must spend one or more of his advantage dice for the attack. The attack and parry are rolled jst like in the RAW, with the character rolling to attack, and the defender rolling to parry. If the attack succeeds the attacker only rolls damage dice equal to the number of advantage dice he sacrifed for the attack, yup to a cap of the character normal lightsaber damage [as augmented with lightsaber combat]. TO get a good [i.e. high damage] attack will take several rounds of dueling or a huge difference in skill.

At the GMs option a character may try the risky tactic of sacrificing more advantage dice than he has, but this will mean that the character overextends himself, and will lose his advantage, giving advantage dice to his opponent.

If the winner opts to try a maneuver, then he sacrifes a number of advatage dice for the attempt, based on the difficulty of the maneuver.

Very Easy 1D
Easy 2D
Moderate 4D
Difficult 6D
Very Difficult 8D

Spending the dice allows the character to attempt the maneuver, with both characters making rolls as per the maneuver.

Use the martial arts maneuver from the Spec Forces handbook as a gudieline for dueling maneuvers. Ideally, each Lightsaber Form could have its own maneuvers.

If the winning character opts to bank his dice, he can try to build up a bigger advatage in order to do more damage, a more complex maneuver, a series or maneuvers.

Okay, that's it. Not too complicated, yet it should change the pacing of the fights to be more like what we see in the films. A quick fight between equally matched opponents is possible but unlikely.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the first lightsaber combat variants I actually decided to read through. I like it so far.

I think it would help to have explicit maneuvers for each difficulty, though.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done, at. 8)

Would love to hear the details if you were able to playtest it.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is my sixth or seventh attempt at a dueling system for D6, so I must be getting the hang of it!

I agree that a list of maneuver would help, and I'm working on one, and trying to incorporate Lightsaber Forms.

In retrospect I thing 5 point increments per D instead of 10 point might be better. I was thinking that two evenly matched foes might never get resolved unless somebody takes a risk to overextend.

I haven't playtsted this yet, but hope to do so with my RPG group. Probably with a dozen or so maneuvers.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that you're taking lightsaber forms into account.

I was also thinking: why not apply this to regular (non-force) duels?

I have a player who loves is vibro-axe and constantly seeks out the scariest enemy to fight hand-to-hand. I think this system could work for him as well.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forms go with the manevuers and vice versa. Once you open the door for one the other follows.

I got about ten maneuvers written up so far. I got a bit of a problem with defensive maneuvers since maneuvers are paid for with advantage dice, so it has caused a bit fo a snag with Soresu. Probably the best solution might be to have some defensive maneuvers that can be attempted when you done have the advantage. You risk digging yourself a deeper hole, but if the maneuver works you are okay. I sort of set the precedent with the retreat and I think I will probably figure out a way for Sorsu practioners to double the effects of a retreat.

I hope to post the maneuvers I ha ve so far this weekend. The way it works is that for each D in lightsaber abouve hid DEX, a character can learn one maneuver. For each D in a Lightsaber Form, a character can select one of his known maneuvers to favor. Favoring a maneuver reduces the difficulty one level, and each form only favors certain maneuvers. You might be allowed to favor a maneuver multiple times, I have to see how it looks that way. If it works I can set some very high difficulties for some maneuvers and rely of characters to favor maneuvers to bring the costs down. In game terms that means that other Jedi could do some of the acrobatic stunts that Ataru practitioners do, but not as easily. IMO it wont really be a problem meeting the difficulties with Lightsaber Combat up, it will be the costs in advantage dice that will make the difference.

In combat, a character must ruse maneuvers from the form he is using *rolling( to get the bonuses.I have some stuff for incorporating some maneuvers form out of the Form into your personal fighting style. Basically you have to already favor the maneuver in another form to be able to port it over, and only 1/3rd of your favored maneuvers can be out of form maneuvers.

I am also debating on making Form I an advanced skill like the other Forms, with favored maneuver or not. Oddly enough, if I do not, do that, it kinda works out as a very strong form, since high skill levels will mean lots of maneuvers and options, making it fairly strong, and matching up pretty well with what it is supposed to be.

THe current list of maneuvers looks something like this- Acrobatic Attack, Beat, Drive Back, Telekinetic Push, Feint, Outflank, Riposte, Called Shot, Coordinated Attack, Unarmed Strike, Off Hand Weapon Strike, Paried Weapons Strike

I will probably add some sort of Power Attack and Bind Weapons maneuvers. Any other suggestions?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Later on, I could take a look at the various names given to attacks and defenses in some of the various Star Wars CCGs (like Young Jedi, which has lightsaber combat as a mechanic), as they might give some excellent ideas.

So far your list looks great! Smile
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I am also debating on making Form I an advanced skill like the other Forms

In my HR I made Form I an advanced skill and it works well.

atgxtg wrote:
THe current list of maneuvers looks something like this- Acrobatic Attack, Beat, Drive Back, Telekinetic Push, Feint, Outflank, Riposte, Called Shot, Coordinated Attack, Unarmed Strike, Off Hand Weapon Strike, Paried Weapons Strike

I will probably add some sort of Power Attack and Bind Weapons maneuvers. Any other suggestions?

For inspiration you could take a look at Jedi Academy Taining Manual of SW RPG Saga Edition, it provides two maneuvers (lightsaber form powers) for each form. I think this maneuvers are also described in Wookiepedia in articles dedicated to lightsaber forms.

In my lightsaber forms HR I'm not using maneuvers like for Martial Arts. Instead, form level (advanced skill) adds to lightsaber in certain situations (like to defense for Soresu). Additionally I'm adding rules like: "For each 2D of Shii-Cho one attack (sweep) can reach additional target. Control bonus applies only to the first target.", which is similar to maneuvers, but becomes better when character trains the form.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Soresu block-and-counter attack?

You block the enemy's attack in a way that makes it vulnerable to your immediate counter-attack.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each Form has certain maneuvers that are listed when you read through it; I'd think you'd want to start with what's listed in that information, and build from there, adding in specific maneuvers for closing, retreating, feinting, etc. IIRC, some of the Forms' maneuvers actually do take into account closing or moving away, though I've not looked at that information in quite a while.

The more acrobatic Forms might not necessarily require the addition of such maneuvers, since they're based on a constantly moving take on dueling, whether flowing or syncopated movement is the focus.

Also, you can simplify this by simply coming up with a series of specific maneuvers, assigning a difficulty, and using them for any Form, leaving the GM to write specifically what it ends up looking like based on the Form(s) the character knows. Anything to make it easier on the GM...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternate approach would be to make a list of generic results, then give each Form dice bonuses and penalties toward each result, reflecting the Form's emphasis. Form II, for example, would have advantages to Disarm, but disadvantages to parrying blaster bolts, and so on and so forth.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Galadrin
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that complaint a lot, that d6 (and most other RPGs besides) do not adequately represent lightsaber duels. They seem to work OK to me... your choice of # of attacks each round indicates how aggressive you are, but reduces your defenses. If both duellists attack in the same segment, the loser can still melee parry as a reaction to increase the already high difficulty number of 20. The result seems to be a lot of stalemate and clashing beams, much like the movies.

This house rule seems to make duels more interesting, though. I'll have to give it a shot and see how it plays out.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
An alternate approach would be to make a list of generic results, then give each Form dice bonuses and penalties toward each result, reflecting the Form's emphasis. Form II, for example, would have advantages to Disarm, but disadvantages to parrying blaster bolts, and so on and so forth.

That is precisely how the maneuver work. For instance anybody can learn to do a riposte maneuver *it is a standard fencing move(, but Makiashi practioners can get a bonus at it.

One of the hidden little persk of this approach is that it works without the maneuvers. People can just bank up advatage dice for an attack, and that is a viable tactic.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galadrin wrote:
I've heard that complaint a lot, that d6 (and most other RPGs besides) do not adequately represent lightsaber duels. They seem to work OK to me... your choice of # of attacks each round indicates how aggressive you are, but reduces your defenses. If both duellists attack in the same segment, the loser can still melee parry as a reaction to increase the already high difficulty number of 20. The result seems to be a lot of stalemate and clashing beams, much like the movies.

This house rule seems to make duels more interesting, though. I'll have to give it a shot and see how it plays out.

Sorry, but you do not seem to understand how the rules work. When you parry, you replace the normal difficulty [which can be somewhere in the 16-20 range(\ with the parry total. You do not add to the difficlty unless you do a full parry.

What makes the duels so anti-climatic in the RPG is that since Lightsaber Combat bumpes up the damage dramatically, any hit pretty much ends the duel. So with fairly evenly matched opponenets you got about a 50-50 chance of one guy cutting the other in half on a given attack. So most duels only tend to last a round or two. Toss is the doubling effect of spending A Force points and it just gets worse - especially when one side has more Fps than the other.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Each Form has certain maneuvers that are listed when you read through it; I'd think you'd want to start with what's listed in that information, and build from there, adding in specific maneuvers for closing, retreating, feinting, etc. IIRC, some of the Forms' maneuvers actually do take into account closing or moving away, though I've not looked at that information in quite a while.

The more acrobatic Forms might not necessarily require the addition of such maneuvers, since they're based on a constantly moving take on dueling, whether flowing or syncopated movement is the focus.

Also, you can simplify this by simply coming up with a series of specific maneuvers, assigning a difficulty, and using them for any Form, leaving the GM to write specifically what it ends up looking like based on the Form(s) the character knows. Anything to make it easier on the GM...

Yeah, I got another *non-D6( method of doing this which really incorpates the movment better. People have to move into range to attack, and can avoid being hit by moving out of range. In fact, retreating in that method helps to avoid marginal hits, and can reduce damage a little. But I figured introducing that to D would be a bit radical and probably too complicated for most people.

My difficulty here is in translating some things into D6 RPG terms, and into the dueling mechanism I got here. Since movment in D6 is mostly freeform and not very tactical, I am somewhat limited in how I can implment some tings in game to make sense.

I am thinking that with Aturu acrobatic attacksm the simpliest way might be to allw tem to take thier movment in 3 dimesions rather than in two. Thus somebody doing an acrobatic attack can still take a half move and travel 5 meters, but it might be 3 meters up and 2 meters to the left or vice versa. It could be useful in the right terrain, but nothing special on a flat plane.

I did up the outflank maneuver to reflect stuff like leaping behind a foe to try and get past his defenses. But again, it is farily abstract to fit in with with the movment of the RAW.

I assume that somebody has to be within blades-reach on someone onlse to hit them with a lightsaber, but there is really nothing in the RAW about it. But intheroy, depending on the which side acts when and if soembody has moved yet, it is possible to move out of swordreach and avoid getting attacked for a round.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: