The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sensor Jamming and Fire Control
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Sensor Jamming and Fire Control
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Methedor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Sensor Jamming and Fire Control Reply with quote

Now here's a question would Jamming the Sensors of a combat vessel ether a Starship or fighter affect the FC?

I haven't read wether the Fire control is based off of the sensor array or it is using optical sonsors on the turret to highlight and vector calculate. If it's optical then it wouldn't be affected, on the other hand...

If it works then the question is by how much is it affected, of course it could be an all or nothing effect. Isn't that how it's written in RAW? (I don't have the book on me at the moment)

Thanks for Reading
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iirc there's a sensor jammer and a Target jammer (which affects fire control). So a sensor jammer would have no effect on targeting as far as I can tell.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Iirc there's a sensor jammer and a Target jammer (which affects fire control). So a sensor jammer would have no effect on targeting as far as I can tell.

Real life is obviously more complicated than that, but for the purposes of the game, IMO, it is simpler to keep them separate. If someone wants a technobabble reason, just tell them that all SWU fire control has a home-on-jam feature that counteracts the effects of jamming unless the jammer in question is specifically designed to disrupt fire control systems.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is what the one on the Awing does.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the 2E rulebook specifically states that if you can't get an enemy craft on sensors, you can't use your fire control dice against them. That tells me fire control computer solutions are based on sensor data.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
IIRC, the 2E rulebook specifically states that if you can't get an enemy craft on sensors, you can't use your fire control dice against them. That tells me fire control computer solutions are based on sensor data.

That may be what it says (and I'd like to see the reference on it), but it isn't really accurate. As I mentioned above, lots of fire control systems have home-on-jam modes.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:

Do you know which page?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:

Do you know which page?
No, and I'm away from my rulebook right now...

Complete Starship Construction System
Rollenspiel
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked through 2E R&E, but couldn't find such a rule. Was it in 2E, but later removed by the printing of 2E R&E?
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:

That seems logical. If you can't detect a target you can't aim it. Sensors point out space items long before an human can see it.
If fire control suite is able to aim at something that wasn't been detected (by sensors) then sensor system obsolete.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the current rules, sensor jamming merely makes it more difficult to identify the ship doing the jamming, and has no effect either way on actually detecting the ship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: