The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Game Balance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Game Balance Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Game Balance Reply with quote

A regular argument against rule changes is how a proposed rule upsets "game balance". I was recently prepping for a Rifts game, and I came across the following (Rifts Main Book, Ultimate Edition, page 73), which I feel is worthy of discussion here:

Rifts Designer's Note wrote:
At some point, someone, somewhere in game-design-land must have decreed, "All characters must be equal" and a bunch of game companies jumped on the bandwagon to even out the power level of every character. How tragic. That's like expecting every opponent in a videogame to offer the same level of difficulty. Talk about boring.

Of course there has to be game balance, but complete equality for characters, never. Every character in Rifts is deliberately designed to have unique abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Those unique abilities may be awesome and powerful under one set of circumstances or environment, and a liability under another. That emulates real life and, in game terms, is deliberately designed to encourage creativity, ingenuity and role-playing.

I have a well-deserved reputation on this forum for steamrolling over game balance in my pursuit of making the game a more realistic representation of the action seen in the films, especially the Jedi. I have written revised and expanded stats for multiple Force powers that expand the abilities of Jedi beyond what is allowed in the RAW. I am also working on rules that place more detailed moral and ethical limitations on Jedi, to the effect that, while they are much more powerful under my rules, they are also much more limited in how and when they can use those powers. However, I regularly run into the argument that my rule changes are too unbalancing, making Jedi too powerful, and leaving non-Jedi with nothing to do.

My question is, ultimately, what degree of importance do you place on character balance, and why? Personally, I feel that in-game balance can be achieved in a variety of methods, not just by making sure all the characters balance out. An inventive GM can come up with challenges and rules that provide necessary balance without forcing all characters to be of equal power ranking.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that equal power levels are not required to make a game fun.

I am personally attached to games that do not force game balance on the players (basically, anything not 4th ed DnD).

The game takes place in a dynamic universe. There are people who are more powerful than the players, and the players can excel beyond other players in certain areas. It is just like real life.

If a player is concerned that he or she cannot compare to the other characters in combat, then I ask why that player did not invest in combat skill or equipment. The answer is usually, "My character prefers diplomacy and intrigue over fighting," which leads me to ask, "Well, what did you expect?"

The same goes the other way around.

There are some players who become myopic with a certain group of skills and forget to raise other skills. I remember another player in a Dark Heresy game who had a 60 fellowship (basically epic-level social skills) and wielded a pair of revolvers in combat, while the rest of the group was clad in carapace armor and toting plasma guns and assault cannons. He complained that he couldn't keep up in combat. Players like that need extra guidance or accommodation so that they don't get frustrated.

Also, adversaries should not all be an even fight for the players. There will always be a bigger fish, and it is good that the players know that the bigger fish can appear at any moment. That way they don't get so cocksure that they think they can blast whomever they want.

I'll get off my soapbox now...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm VERY glad you posted that excerpt.

While I believe that every game needs to be balanced, I agree wholeheartedly that this balance doesn't necessarily come through every character having the same stats.

The argument that 'non-Jedi are left with nothing to do' is, quite honestly, the problem of the GM. It's up to them to make scenarios that will play to EVERYONE'S strengths.

And sometimes, even though the Jedi in your game will have overlapping skills with other characters, sometimes that means it's the Jedi who has to sit on his hands for a while and do nothing.

Don't believe me? Case in point: RotJ. The scene: the shuttle Tyderium, heading through the Imperial fleet to go down to the forest moon of Endor. Sure, the father of the New Jedi Order was on board that shuttle. But what was he doing? Sitting in the passenger seat, not doing a darn thing. Han Solo was flying, and Chewie was co-piloting.

Or, if you don't believe that any of the other characters will have anything to do when a Jedi is around? How about the scene on board Jabba's sail barge? Luke is busy fending off half of Jabba's goons; he's too busy to take the steps necessary to destroy the barge. So Leia has to aim the deck gun and fire it.

The point is, you might have a Jedi or two in the group. You might not. But if you do, then it's the GM's responsibility to craft the game so that it encompasses ALL the characters. If it's not doing so, then the players have a legitimate concern, one they should bring to the GM's attention. TACTFULLY. A GM has a lot of responsibility; they're juggling a lot of issues all at once, and they deserve to not be b**** out. Unless, of course, they're not listening to their players.

If you're trying to equalize characters, it can be done many different ways. Jedi characters have to either sacrifice Attribute Dice at creation (except when the GM decides otherwise), or pump a LOT of CPs into gaining their Force skills. Or perhaps the Jedi character has to go through a LOT in order to procure and/or construct a lightsaber, a weapon that is very powerful and, when combined with Lightsaber Combat, greatly more so.

However, limiting the Jedi character is not the only way to make things more even. The other characters can be given a bonus in Skill Points at creation, or given some phat lewt to help balance their abilities with those of the Jedi.

I won't even get into good roleplaying vs. power gaming.

Bottom line is that, if you've got good players, it won't matter so much. If you've got a good GM, it'll matter even less.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. There has to be some sort of balance, where one pc or another is not so overwhelmingly ahead of the rest, but balance in the means of everyone has the same stats is not what people go for.
I have had games where some pcs had an average of 4d in combat skills (but around 7-8d in tech skills), while the rest were a mix. They were still balanced as a group cause they had the same # of dice improvements with one another.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
There are some players who become myopic with a certain group of skills and forget to raise other skills. I remember another player in a Dark Heresy game who had a 60 fellowship (basically epic-level social skills) and wielded a pair of revolvers in combat, while the rest of the group was clad in carapace armor and toting plasma guns and assault cannons. He complained that he couldn't keep up in combat. Players like that need extra guidance or accommodation so that they don't get frustrated.

I agree completely. I've had similar experiences playing Rogue characters in D&D. When it came to dungeon crawls, I was generally the person with the most to do up until the actual combat encounters started, because I was scouting for traps and the like, as well as providing recon information for the party about what was around the next corner. Once the fight started, my Rogue was pretty much a bystander, apart from the occasional Backstab or crossbow sniper shot. And that was just the way it was, because my character was a Rogue, not a Fighter, Paladin or Barbarian, and I knew this going in.

Quote:
I'll get off my soapbox now...

Actually, topics like this are the perfect place for soapboxes. It isn't always just about the rules of Star Wars D6; sometimes larger problems encountered in gaming as a whole are worthy of discussion here, and people are perfectly welcome to get up on their soapboxes and express themselves. I have done it more than once.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
And sometimes, even though the Jedi in your game will have overlapping skills with other characters, sometimes that means it's the Jedi who has to sit on his hands for a while and do nothing.

This is actually core to the alternate rules for Jedi that I am working on. The basic idea is that, for all their power, Jedi also have a respect for the Force in the sense that use of the Force disturbs it, much like throwing a pebble into still water; the bigger the rock, the greater the distortion. As such, a Jedi character should strive to actively use the Force only when absolutely necessary, and seek alternate solutions as much as possible. In game terms, this is enforced by offering CP rewards to the character who actively manipulated the Force (in the form of Alter and, to a lesser degree, Control) as selectively and judiciously as possible.

Quote:
However, limiting the Jedi character is not the only way to make things more even. The other characters can be given a bonus in Skill Points at creation, or given some phat lewt to help balance their abilities with those of the Jedi.

I like this approach. It helps soothe ruffled feathers if the Smuggler has a modified light freighter instead of a stock light freighter, and the Bounty Hunter has a Splatter-Blaster 3000 instead of his starting heavy blaster pistol.

Quote:
Bottom line is that, if you've got good players, it won't matter so much. If you've got a good GM, it'll matter even less.

Exactly. WEG's generally open approach to GM'ing works best if your GM is creative and proactive in sculpting the gaming universe, which is very rarely the case. A lot of the rules I've proposed here are intended as options to allow GMs a framework to work within when trying to enforce what WEG only wrote up as a general guideline.

Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My players are kind of power players and they all like combat, so to keep game balanced I keep watch on their stats. Sometimes I'm disallowing some skill improvement to just keep the balance of the game. There are also situations where I intervene helping a player that "stayed behind" (providing useful gadget, or giving few times 1CP more at the end of adventure etc.).

Talking about Jedi, I changed character creation that force skills are not exchanged by attribute dice 1 to 1, but 3 to 1, so for 1D of attribute player have 3D to spend on force powers. This way Jedi aren't so crippled and are more universal. On the other hand, learning of force skills cost always like an advanced skill (not matter if character has a teacher or not), so Jedi start from slightly better point, but learn slower. I also reduced bonuses from LSC power
From my observations with rules above Jedi is a little bit behind the ordinary character, but has unique skills that compensate his lacks.

If I'm concerned that my players are too focused on specific skills (although above 7D this problems usually disappears), I'm starting to ask players to roll their lower ranked skills, this usually works (players notice their lacks and raise skills). Sometimes I'm also making discounts for some skills (1CP usually suffices), this works especially well if a PC did something spectacular with low-ranked skill (I'm giving him discount and he usually raises the skill still being under impression of his action).

If I want to discourage a player from rising skill I'm asking for spending time on training or I'm proposing raising specialization instead of full skill ("you only used blaster pistol during last session, so you may raise a specialization, if you want to raise blaster, then you should train a bit at least with a rifle").

Once again, all above works with my (power) players, not sure how it would work with different types of players.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Jedi Skyler wrote:

This is actually core to the alternate rules for Jedi that I am working on. The basic idea is that, for all their power, Jedi also have a respect for the Force in the sense that use of the Force disturbs it, much like throwing a pebble into still water; the bigger the rock, the greater the distortion. As such, a Jedi character should strive to actively use the Force only when absolutely necessary, and seek alternate solutions as much as possible. In game terms, this is enforced by offering CP rewards to the character who actively manipulated the Force (in the form of Alter and, to a lesser degree, Control) as selectively and judiciously as possible.

This can also be accomplished with rules such as the 'force disturbences' mentioned by me in the past, where the higher they roll (more often they use) force powers, the better chance they have of attracting jedi hunters.

crmcneill wrote:
Quote:

I like this approach. It helps soothe ruffled feathers if the Smuggler has a modified light freighter instead of a stock light freighter, and the Bounty Hunter has a Splatter-Blaster 3000 instead of his starting heavy blaster pistol.

I actually don't agree. Jedi characters already pay for their powers in loss of attribute dice, double cost to raise their force powers (unless they can get a master) and requirements to always be goodie goodie.. No need to 'give power boosts' to the others.

Quote:
My players are kind of power players and they all like combat, so to keep game balanced I keep watch on their stats. Sometimes I'm disallowing some skill improvement to just keep the balance of the game. There are also situations where I intervene helping a player that "stayed behind" (providing useful gadget, or giving few times 1CP more at the end of adventure etc.).

Enforce training rules for those stats.. the higher it is, the longer it takes to improve (1 day per cp spent), can't raise if didn't use it etc..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
This can also be accomplished with rules such as the 'force disturbences' mentioned by me in the past, where the higher they roll (more often they use) force powers, the better chance they have of attracting jedi hunters.

I actually like to use both, so that characters who use the Force judiciously get extra CP rewards, while characters who use the Force like it is going out of style get hounded by Force hunter enemies as well as not getting as many CPs.

Quote:
I actually don't agree. Jedi characters already pay for their powers in loss of attribute dice, double cost to raise their force powers (unless they can get a master) and requirements to always be goodie goodie.. No need to 'give power boosts' to the others.

That's if you are playing by the RAW, which I don't. With Jedi having a Force Attribute and expanding the scope of a variety of Force powers, Jedi characters become much more capable, so giving extra class-appropriate equipment to other, non-Jedi characters helps balance things out.

Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Characters should be balanced.
Everyone can do everything equality is, of course, the easiest kind of balance, but why bother playing a game like this to begin with, why even invent rules for that? It's just moronic and boring.

There should always be as great a diversity as possible in characters, so that one character can shine under the right circumstances, while the others are just there, supporting that one or not doing anything at all, because they can't do anything usefull in this circumstance.

As already said, it's the responsibility of the GM to provide scenarios of that kind, so that everyone can shine at some point.

Some people are Stronger in one regard, they might even be stronger in several parts where other characters only excell in a few, but that's just how it is. If the players are not selfish and unfair, everyone still can have fun.

Tho, personally, I don't like the approach of "limiting characters because they are to strong". I much more prefer the other way around: "strengthening characters that are to weak".
Limiting always feels like "you have this incredibly toy here, but you can't have much fun with it because you're only allowed to play with it 5 minutes a day and only if you're in a specific location". Does that sound fun to anyone here?

And I agree with garhkal, there is no reason to give non force-sensitive / non jedi characters a boost in terms of skills.
They are fine the way they are!
By the rules, force users have to sacrifice attribute dice and skill dice in order to get their Force Skills, but only on a very low level. So low, in fact, that they can't use most of their powers (or only when they are incredibly lucky) at the beginning.
When we recently played two Adventures with SW v2 R&E, we decided to increase the Skill dice (to 15 instead of 7) and increase the maximum (3 instead of 2 skill dice can be used).
What was the result?
The non-Jedi Characters clearly and obviously out-powered the Jedi characters. They where much better in a fight and they were much better in the skill area that they wanted to be good with (our pilot was very good with the blaster and could fly the ship nearly perfectly, the "hunter" was good with blasters as well and couldn't be detected by enemies who didn't have an above average perception or search).
Even when we looked how it would be in the future, the result always was "Jedi can do some cool stuff the non-Jedi couldn't, but the non-Jedi would always be better in their own area of expertise then the Jedi".
So y increasing that gap even more by giving them more skill dice or any kind of "power boost", they can already compete with the Jedi, even out-power them at the beginning!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you haven't seen the way I augment Jedi. The various rules and powers I have suggested are scattered throughout the archives of the Forum, and while I haven't incorporated all of them, they combine to make Jedi much more capable characters when starting out, and they only ramp up from there.

Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Because you haven't seen the way I augment Jedi.
That refers to what? (not the "way I augment Jedi", but the "Because")
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quetzacotl wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
Because you haven't seen the way I augment Jedi.
That refers to what? (not the "way I augment Jedi", but the "Because")

I mean it in the sense that, if you play by the RAW when designing Jedi characters, then you are correct about how relatively underpowered they can be, especially when starting out. I, on the other hand, have my own house rules made up that tilt the scale somewhat in the Jedi's favor, so the concept of adding "goodies" to the non-FS characters in the party is a good way to balance things out.

Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be the case, but I am purposely only referring to the RAW, since that is what everyone knows.

Yeah, when you increase one part, you might also increase another. Thats completely fine.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great subject, and I always enjoy discussing it.

Too many games make an emphasis on balance, and I think this is (generally) a good thing for the novice GM (or one not very experienced with a particular game). But the key is to make sure all characters get an equal chance to shine. This could be allowing them to have the spotlight (if they desire it) or giving them the opportunity to do things (excelling at what their character should be able to do well).

One point on Luke in the shuttle to Endor. He not only wasn't doing anything, he was actually almost a liability ("I shouldn't have come", he said). There's times (as some have mentioned) that the Jedi do draw more attention, so I plan to have more attention shown my party's way depending on how much our Jedi uses his Force powers (and how he uses them).

The Jedi do have a number of things that balance them out, and if they're role-played well, there's a number of limitations already built in. Our (lone) Jedi just used Battle Meditation (only the second time he's ever used it) to rout Imperial forces. I didn't even feel it was inappropriate, but the Jedi player was really bothered by it, and I don't think he's likely to do it again (at least not without very much considering what he's doing). Built-in (role-playing) restrictions like this can serve to really balance out the fact that - in some ways - the Jedi can be more powerful than the others. I'm actually okay with having him increase his other attributes (he was really handicapped when we did character creation), justifying it as that it took awhile for him to bounce back to "full Jedi Knight" status (he was found after being frozen for millenia), but the player isn't so sure. I just think it's kind of silly for him to have a 2D Perception, for example, just because he wanted to have his Sense and other Force abilities at a 3D or so.

Game balance can be helpful for some games, but there's many games that allow it, and it can really fit the genre more apporpriately to have different characters at varying power levels. Otherwise how does the Wasp function on the same team as Thor (or the Hulk)? Or Green Arrow feel capable in the presence of Superman?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: