The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

'Rewards'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> 'Rewards' Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: 'Rewards' Reply with quote

A lot of gamers now are of the kill critters get loot mindset. I'm personally of the opinion that Star Wars shouldn't be Monty Haul, rather more like the movies. Keeping that in mind, and factoring in peoples perspective concerning what a lot of money is now vs the 90s, I'm curious how each of you reward your parties and how you handle the oodles of credits issue. Do you increase values in game of items, or play with an economy threaded more to the 90s one it was written to mirror? Or is this not a concern for you all?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, CP rewards are a big incentive, and they are solely under the GMs control. You don't want to railroad the players too hard, but you can hand out more CP to the guy who roleplays and see if the others catch on. A players obsession with loot can backfire as well; the character may loot cool guns or starships, but he may also face scrutiny in the game for how they came into his possession.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you mean strictly monetary rewards, most of the information that I use concerning relative buy/sell rewards and trades as well as docking fees and earnings from drop-point cargo hauls are pretty well fixed. They have a guildelines built into the system, and if I were to recalculate them it would probably mean recalculating a lot of the gear cost to match.

Star Wars exists in a magical realm where the galactic economy goes untouched by inflation and other such factors that play a role in a large political economy.

Also, many times the rewards they get are not something you can easily put a number value on. They may make a contact that serves them in the future by providing information, a way into an enemy compound, or other allies that they would not have had. They may also find someone that will teach them new skills they otherwise couldn't have learned, such as new types of martial arts or something. Also, rewards might be winning, earning, or stealing the special hyperdrive that gives them a one up against their adversaries.

As, crmcneil pointed out, there are also rewards of CPs.

So, I suppose it depends on what you mean by "rewards."

Frankly, I've seldom had characters that manage to get oodles of credits. Money is a part of the story telling. The lack of funds keeps them looking for jobs so they can repair an aging starship. If you think it costs a lot to keep your 95 Geo Prism on the road, then imagine how much they're going to be spending when a docking ramp's actuators burn out, or their sensory system glitches and they need to buy a software patch. Maybe if you're really dastardly the gravity plates are badly calibrated and they go from free floating to free fall at x3 normal gravity in a second. Most of the time if grabbing money is part of the party's concern, then I keep throwing costs at them to keep them needing more. If they want to play a game where getting money is a concern, then they need to live in a world where spending it is a reality.

However, there have been "money is no object" type games. If I don't want to fool around with constantly fueling, restocking, repairing a ship or something like that, it's generally because it's a completely different sort of game. If you're playing with five Jedi running from the Empire, then it doesn't matter how many credits you have, the Empire is still going to kill you the next time you show your face at a space station. Yes, you might very well be able to buy a nice estate near Illerium, but what good will that do you when the Empire bombards it from orbit? Also, since they were Jed, they weren't focused on buying every bit of guns or gear all over every planet, as honing their lightsaber skills was a much more worthwhile endeavor.
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm running them through the intro adventure box to dust off cobwebs in my brain and teach them the system. The smuggler, while lamenting the loss of her freighter under the mountain is doing okay, the bounty hunter is trying to harvest every blaster and piece a suit of scout trooper armor together at the same time. My gut tells me he's going 'lootlootLOOT' and I've already commented once to him about his collection. I can see him arguing the set as gifts for their Rebel friends. In past games I've tried to keep the coin purse close to keep them hungry, but got some backlash from the party. 'They want us to do what for a measly 5000 credits' or some such. I've also given ship gear, items etc...but I don't want to see things go nuts, or have the party feel they're being cheated.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Well, CP rewards are a big incentive, and they are solely under the GMs control. You don't want to railroad the players too hard, but you can hand out more CP to the guy who roleplays and see if the others catch on. A players obsession with loot can backfire as well; the character may loot cool guns or starships, but he may also face scrutiny in the game for how they came into his possession.

Very true.. his first few visits to black marketeers to offload those storm trooper armors/weapons can go well, but the imps will cotton on soon.

Quote:
Well, I'm running them through the intro adventure box to dust off cobwebs in my brain and teach them the system. The smuggler, while lamenting the loss of her freighter under the mountain is doing okay, the bounty hunter is trying to harvest every blaster and piece a suit of scout trooper armor together at the same time. My gut tells me he's going 'lootlootLOOT' and I've already commented once to him about his collection. I can see him arguing the set as gifts for their Rebel friends. In past games I've tried to keep the coin purse close to keep them hungry, but got some backlash from the party. 'They want us to do what for a measly 5000 credits' or some such. I've also given ship gear, items etc...but I don't want to see things go nuts, or have the party feel they're being cheated.

OK some issues to slow/stop that.
1) Weight. how much is he carrying and how is he toating all those looted suits of armor.
2) time. Don't give them the time to loot bodies.
3) Where are they storing them all till he sells them? Have his ship searched a few times.. depending on his hide rolls they can be found.. And having imperial armor is an auto jail sentence!
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good suggestions so far, and appreciated. Now, I'm considering giving a little 'its not heroic' speech as well. Pointing out that the movie personalities weren't looting everything not nailed down. The kid's only experience with RPGs so far has been d&d, some rifts, heroes unlimited and MMOs like WoW and SWToR. Most of which play to the loot to win motif. Suggestions there or sound good?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority of games I've been in have concentrated far more on handing out CPs than credits as rewards.

Of course there are times when the crew performs jobs for which they get paid, and quite often those credits go either to paying off debts (a huge plot point for countless tramp freight captain characters), or to upgrading ships or gear. Way more often than not, however, characters get more and better gear by looting their vanquished opponents, and that happens simply because credits so often are not a freely flowing commodity.

I do agree that players should always try to properly roleplay looting. Issues need to be considered, say, when looting a party of dead stormtroopers:

1. Does my character REALLY wanna don a suit of armor with a gaping hole in the chest armor, which will mark him/her to even the lowest-ranking Imperial we run across?
2. Does the party have time to gather gear (nods to garkhal) without endangering their lives further?
3. Does my character physically fit the armor I want them to put on? Or will everyone be asking him, "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

While there is most certainly a use for such gear (cobbling different, damaged sets of armor together to form a smaller number of full, serviceable armor, or pulling the comlink out of a stormtrooper helmet so one can monitor the Imperial's comm chatter, taking it to sell it, etc.), the players should be making an obvious effort to roleplay this properly. The characters shouldn't be coming across as greedy b@st@rd*; they should be working for the betterment and success of the entire party.

Naturally, there are scenarios where the characters SHOULD be grabbing all the resources they can; I'm currently in a game where my character's part of a semi-independent, Wraith Squadron-style unit. These people are operating on the very outside of the normal chain of command, and in grey areas of the law. They're not getting a lot of support from any command structure, and are therefore expected to confiscate Imperial arms, armaments, vessels, and any other materiel they need in order to complete their missions. In a case like that, yes, the party should be scraping together every piece of equipment they can use. But it should STILL be done properly; there's something to be said for leaving behind gear you simply can't use in a timely fashion, or can't plausibly tote around with you during the remainder of a mission, in the hopes of being able to sell it and make a few credits somewhere.

And this is where a truly good GM and truly good players become vital. A good GM learns what makes his players happy, and finds creative ways to reward them (quite often through the use of CPs) to encourage good roleplaying, good teamwork, and general good form all around. Good players learn what resonates with their GM, pays attention to how all the players AND characters interact with each other, and try to find ways to encourage each other to play more effectively and beneficially to the entire group. A bad player can often find their characters either dying off more rapidly than anyone else's, or finding them spending an inordinately larger amount of time in a bacta tank, because the rest of the players are letting his character soak up blasterfire in order to teach him a lesson.

Garkhal made some very good suggestions for curtailing looters; if you're experiencing problems with one or more players concentrating far too much on looting than on roleplaying, then I'd suggest you put his ideas into play immediately.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Garkhal and Jedi Skyler.

I don't know what I can add, but I felt like reinforcing their points.

I am also a sucker for just having a conversation with my players about such things and how it distracts from the central aspects of the game, but that really depends on your relationship with your players.

Good luck!
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ral_Brelt wrote:
All good suggestions so far, and appreciated. Now, I'm considering giving a little 'its not heroic' speech as well. Pointing out that the movie personalities weren't looting everything not nailed down. The kid's only experience with RPGs so far has been d&d, some rifts, heroes unlimited and MMOs like WoW and SWToR. Most of which play to the loot to win motif. Suggestions there or sound good?

What, you mean actually talk to your players and try to have some clear communication about in-game expectations? This, my good sir, is not tolerated here! Wink

Okay seriously, I had the same thing with a group of new players I was dealing with. We started playing right about the time that KotOR came out. They wanted to pick over all the bodies and I just told them straight out that this wasn't being set up or run like KotOR where it's common practice to loot the bodies. I'm not planning the adventures to have the NPCs be pinatas you rip open to get goodies out of them. However, if they want to play a game where body-looting is what they do, then 1) they shoudln't have chosen to play Jedi as that's pretty un-Jedi-like. 2) There are in-universe consequences such as black marketeers, Imperial customs searches, and all sorts of things. 3) There will be economic ramifications later in the game on account of this. It WILL catch up if you want it to be a part of the game. It's not punishment, it's just balance.

And here is another thing, if they want their rewards to be primarily monetary, then that's fine. Fewer character points can help counterbalance a growing pool of bonus-granting gear. Just talk to them about the kind of game that they want to play. The pinata-style game is fun at first, but it will get old a lot faster than you'd think.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
The vast majority of games I've been in have concentrated far more on handing out CPs than credits as rewards.

Prob i have seen in te past with concentrating on just CP/Credits, is you can bump up character's power level rather quickly.. Which is why i prefer mixing it up with many different non credit/cp rewards.
Favors
Allies
Mentors
Tokens of gratitude
Badges (say as an honorary sherrif in township Y)
Medals..

Jedi Skyler wrote:

1. Does my character REALLY wanna don a suit of armor with a gaping hole in the chest armor, which will mark him/her to even the lowest-ranking Imperial we run across?
2. Does the party have time to gather gear (nods to garkhal) without endangering their lives further?
3. Does my character physically fit the armor I want them to put on? Or will everyone be asking him, "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

Thanks for the call out. Also for #3, is 'am i an alien? Can i even fit in one.

Jedi Skyler wrote:

While there is most certainly a use for such gear (cobbling different, damaged sets of armor together to form a smaller number of full, serviceable armor

I have actually done that before.. Both my current pc and my prior PC i our sparks campaign had a 'life goal' of accumulating 1 full Pristine suit (or as pristine as possible) of each type of imperial armor.. So i actually RP'ed out how i would say take down 3-4 enemies of any new type of armor we encountered, so i could cobble together that one set of good armor.. If we had more, the rest would get sold off, or given to the rebellion for undercover missions..

Jedi Skyler wrote:

Garkhal made some very good suggestions for curtailing looters; if you're experiencing problems with one or more players concentrating far too much on looting than on role-playing, then I'd suggest you put his ideas into play immediately.

Some other ideas were mentioned in the thread "how to avoid the Storm trooper 2 step".
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, before game sat I gave my little speech and we discussed. As anticipated the its for the Rebellion came up, which I nodded to, but he also said it was a way to get rich. I explained the situation concerning how being caught with milspec gear was very very bad for life expectancy, and didn't run into any issues. The game commenced and they got to cheer the y-wing dropping thunder on an at-st that they were sufficiently terrified of. They even got to see that a Lambda could be rather dangerous. Thanks again for everyone's input, I'm sure I'll have questions again!
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ral_Brelt wrote:
Well, before game sat I gave my little speech and we discussed. As anticipated the its for the Rebellion came up, which I nodded to, but he also said it was a way to get rich. I explained the situation concerning how being caught with milspec gear was very very bad for life expectancy, and didn't run into any issues. The game commenced and they got to cheer the y-wing dropping thunder on an at-st that they were sufficiently terrified of. They even got to see that a Lambda could be rather dangerous. Thanks again for everyone's input, I'm sure I'll have questions again!

Just so long as he realizes that the two ideas of "it's for the rebellion" and "it's a way to get rich" are mutually exclusive. The rebellion will certainly be glad to get any equipment they can. They are not, however, in a position to pay top dollar for it. Even inside the rebellion it's hard to get the equipment you particularly want or feel that you need for a mission when talking directly to the quartermaster. They simply don't have it on hand because it's needed for a more critical mission.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Just so long as he realizes that the two ideas of "it's for the rebellion" and "it's a way to get rich" are mutually exclusive. The rebellion will certainly be glad to get any equipment they can. They are not, however, in a position to pay top dollar for it. Even inside the rebellion it's hard to get the equipment you particularly want or feel that you need for a mission when talking directly to the quartermaster. They simply don't have it on hand because it's needed for a more critical mission.

Plus, the sheer volume of equipment he will have to collect to make it worth while will rapidly become both time consuming and cumbersome. Maybe this would work in a D&D game if the character had a Bag of Holding, but how much time will it take to strip the armor and the blaster off of a dead stormtrooper? How much then will the Alliance be willing to pay for that one set of equipment? Imagine the escape from Cloud City at the end of ESB if Chewie had stopped to scavenge and salvage. It's one thing to have a character who specializes in stealing supplies for the Alliance or for profit (one of the Adventure Journals even has an article about professional ship jackers, and the Pirates & Privateers setting has rules for reselling captured loot; that's what pirates do, after all), but its quite another for a character player obsessed with the shoot-and-loot gaming style to put a serious crimp in a game.

IMO, if he wants to be a pack rat, make him pay for it. He wants to scavenge armor? Tell him it takes a full minute (12 combat rounds) to pull a complete set of armor off of one dead stormtrooper, then hit him with multiple reinforcements every round, so he has to stack up the MAPs to return fire and take the armor. He wants to steal all their rifles? Same deal, but start hitting him with Stamina rolls, too, for carrying so much extra weight.

There is a place for characters who want to steal valuable equipment in the interests of reselling it and turning a profit, but mundane gear taken from the corpses of cannon-fodder villains is a waste of time and effort.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that is not even looking into the fact that when you take damage, your armor is also supposed to be damaged.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
And that is not even looking into the fact that when you take damage, your armor is also supposed to be damaged.

Exactly. IMO, if I was GM'ing for a group that had this attitude, I would lean toward a pirate / privateer campaign, because capturing mass amounts of valuable equipment / material and selling it for a profit is a core part of that kind of campaign.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: