The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Astrogation house rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Astrogation house rule Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Astrogation house rule Reply with quote

I've decided to not complicate my life too much in regards to my game's Astrogation rolls and travel durations. At the end of the day, a ship should travel at the speed of plot, and it was becoming a mess keeping track of how long trips took to and from places, so I'm going to implement a house rule that ignores the RAW astrogation rules. It makes a few assumptions:

1. Travel times can vary depending on a few factors, such as hazards and traffic on certain lanes.

2. Calculating a jump to light-speed can be fairly routine. The main issue is how well you can sit at the computer and plot a few routes.

3. A 1 on the wild die will always trigger a complication from the R&E rulebook.

So succeeding on the following difficulties will generate the following travel times / in hours / to where ever you are going:

Very Easy - Easy 3d6 x hyperdrive modifier
Moderate 2d6 x hyperdrive modifier
Difficult+ 1d6 x hyperdrive modifier

So a navigator rolling a 10 (Easy) on his Astrogation roll will roll a 3d6 to determine how long the trip will take. Say 9, and multiply his hyperdrive modifier, say a 2. The trip will then take 18 hours.

The better you roll, the shorter the durations can be. There is a chance of a shorter duration resulting from a worse Astrogation roll, but so be it...

Quick, dirty, and will work just fine for my game.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to simplify it even further, you can replace with random dice rolls and make the difficulty the base travel time, and subtract 1 hr per point rolled over the difficulty.

For example, if the trip is difficulty 14, the base time would be 14 hours (for a x1 hyperdrive). If the navigator rolled a 20, he'd make the trip in 8 hours (14-6).
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... And so shall it be henceforth.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really enjoyed the one Mikael Hasselstein came up with, and it really makes things quick and easy, but the times seem to take significantly longer than they should. At least it seems that way. Our characters have had a couple of trips that have taken around a month, which seems a bit long to me.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I've really enjoyed the one Mikael Hasselstein came up with, and it really makes things quick and easy, but the times seem to take significantly longer than they should. At least it seems that way. Our characters have had a couple of trips that have taken around a month, which seems a bit long to me.

Yeah, people have different conceptions of how long trips should take. My ideas are consistent with the WEG stuff (most of the time). But I know that many people really like the travel times the way they seem implied in the movies. For them, my advice is to read 'days' as 'hours'.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these days I'd like to come up with something that fits what we see in the films, TV series, and the stats for the ships. IMO the ships move much faster than what we see in WEG. Yoda manages to get from Corscant to Kamino to Geonosis all in time to rescue Obi-wan, Anakin, and Padme.

I get the feeling that you can get from just about one side of the galaxy to the other in under a day.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they really do move at the speed of plot.

Which is cool and all. But the lengthier trips allow for the characters to spend some of their Character Points on stuff (travel seems to be one of the only "down times" my group has).

I've considered switching things to hours, but that seems too fast.
Jerrod Owex
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
One of these days I'd like to come up with something that fits what we see in the films, TV series, and the stats for the ships. IMO the ships move much faster than what we see in WEG. Yoda manages to get from Corscant to Kamino to Geonosis all in time to rescue Obi-wan, Anakin, and Padme.

I get the feeling that you can get from just about one side of the galaxy to the other in under a day.

I do whole-heartedly agree here but i think the real answer to this is "CREATVIE LICENSE". Even in the WotC games travel takes hours and days, even in fairly fast ships.

I didn't ever really think about this before though, it is odd that Yoda was able to travel so quickly.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:

I've considered switching things to hours, but that seems too fast.

What are you playing First Edtion? Travel times have beern in hours for quite some time.

I'm thinking that something like 1 hour per region crossed (or to to go from one "quadrant" to another in the same region for something like the Outer Rim) seems about right.

Or even laying down a grid in hourly increments, with adjustments for being on or off the trade routes. If I print the grid over the map then travel time would be done by counting the squares.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not first edition. I was making a reference to Mikael's post about converting 'days' to 'hours' (above).
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
No, not first edition. I was making a reference to Mikael's post about converting 'days' to 'hours' (above).

Ah. I was wondering.

May the fourth be with you.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's lot of mess in hyperspace travel in SW universe. Characters in movies travel in hours across the galaxy, but on the other hand for some reasons trade routes exist like in the middle ages and information spreads slowly (even for years). This is an obvious inconsistency, but I tried to explain that by using two (somehow related) factors: availability and cost.

I don't allow players to travel directly from point to point. They have to use a route. They don't have to visit each system, but for example travel from Nar Shadda to Etti took them at least 5-6 jumps, 1-5 days each.
I'm using this map as a reference - i'm treating all lines there as established routes. If different maps (more detailed) are available, then I'm using them. I decided to use this approach after I read Twin Stars of Kira adventure, refer this chart describing travel times only on-the-route.

Faster travel is possible, but it requires to "step over" more systems in the middle. The more systems skipped, the more difficult is the astrogation calculation, but travel time is shorter. I don't have a fixed rule for this, but normal jumps are Easy to calculate, step over a system or two makes it Moderate etc. Some additional modifiers may apply (traffic, location etc.).

Travelling outside of routes is possible, but very hard - at least Difficult for short jumps, with average around Heroic for significant shortcuts like Klatooine-Roche ending at Heroic+20 for jumps across the galaxy. Such routes require enormous computing power to calculate, so only most wealthy and/or powerful organization may afford of them (Republic, Rebellion, Empire, BoSS etc.). Also, they are valid for only short period of time (days to weeks), long term valid routes are even harder to calculate and generally have to be slower than short term ones.

So, my PCs normally use routes with some step overs to speed up travel and sometimes they calculate short out-of-the-route jump. Occasionally they also receive a long distance off-road jump, but it's usually valid only for short period of time.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:
I don't allow players to travel directly from point to point. They have to use a route. They don't have to visit each system, but for example travel from Nar Shadda to Etti took them at least 5-6 jumps, 1-5 days each.
I'm using this map as a reference - i'm treating all lines there as established routes. If different maps (more detailed) are available, then I'm using them. I decided to use this approach after I read Twin Stars of Kira adventure, refer this chart describing travel times only on-the-route.

Yes, this is the principle on which my nav computer is based.

(Atgxtg, of course, disagrees with this approach.) The underpinning of the data is network-shaped. Regrettably, it was impossible for me to make it so that it so that it displayed a listing of systems passed through, but nevertheless the times are based on the network principle of routes, not distance between two points.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this issue has been debated by countless gamers, (and yes, I have to give props to Mikael; he is THE bomb on astrogation), the mechanics of the thing basically gives way to the plot.

Also, having all that time in hyperspace gives the players an opportunity to roleplay amongst themselves, and to possibly build their characters. Most GMs I've worked with allow character development during hyperspce travel, and it's worked out well.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
While this issue has been debated by countless gamers, (and yes, I have to give props to Mikael; he is THE bomb on astrogation), the mechanics of the thing basically gives way to the plot.

Thanks, bro. Wink

I guess I'm in agreement that plot should come first, but I'm not quite sure when this question becomes relevant. Perhaps it's the case where the GM wants the story to do something in terms of specific places and plot-necessary travel times, and (s)he doesn't want to be bound on where certain nerds have determined where stuff is and how fast stuff travels.

And I think that's all fine and dandy for players (and a GM?) who don't know much about the SWU and/or don't really need consistency in the setting.

As a player, I like to have a sense of scale. I like to base my characters' decisions on knowledge of the fictional environment, and an astro-graphical sense of place and time is part of that. As a GM, I like to present a consistent gameworld environment that my players can know, and that they can also base their characters' decisions on their knowledge of the fictional environment.

Now, I realize this stuff is just for wonks, but... I'm a wonk when it comes to these things. (When it comes to the game rules, .... erm... not my forté. Embarassed ) I'm totally OCD, but thankfully, I also have players who appreciate that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: