The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dont bring a vibroblade to a lightsaber duel...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dont bring a vibroblade to a lightsaber duel... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Dont bring a vibroblade to a lightsaber duel... Reply with quote

I was thinking of combatants who for some reason might expect to go up against a Jedi, in this case melee combatants like Imperial Guards or melee focused Bounty Hunters.

Shouldnt they be armed with a phrik weapon if they had the resources (like Imperal Guards and resourceful Bounty Hunters)? My info about Phrik comes purely from Wookiepedia. Sure its rare, but it even says that minor mining operations kept mining the material during the reign of the Empire.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Dont bring a vibroblade to a lightsaber duel... Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
I was thinking of combatants who for some reason might expect to go up against a Jedi, in this case melee combatants like Imperial Guards or melee focused Bounty Hunters.

Shouldnt they be armed with a phrik weapon if they had the resources (like Imperal Guards and resourceful Bounty Hunters)? My info about Phrik comes purely from Wookiepedia. Sure its rare, but it even says that minor mining operations kept mining the material during the reign of the Empire.

The Wookiepedia page on lightsabers has a pretty comprehensive list of material in the SWU that is resistant to lightsaber damage. Phrik is on the list, as are cortosis alloy and mandalorian iron.
Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there something about non-force users not being able to wield lightsabers? Getting their hands on the odd lightsaber or melee weapon made out of a lightsaber-resistant material, especially if they are melee-wielding pro seems nearly inevitable.

I tell you what, seeing a fully armored Bounty Hunter whip out a lightsaber and ignite is bound to make any player sit up straight in their seat.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's other things besides phirk that's lightsaber resistant. Cortosis temporaryily shorts out a lightsaber while a cortosis weave pretty much just resists a lightsaber. Mandalorian iron is lightsaber resistant and has to take a serious pounding from a lightsaber before it's sliced through.

Wanted Poster
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liquidsabre wrote:
Was there something about non-force users not being able to wield lightsabers? Getting their hands on the odd lightsaber or melee weapon made out of a lightsaber-resistant material, especially if they are melee-wielding pro seems nearly inevitable.

I tell you what, seeing a fully armored Bounty Hunter whip out a lightsaber and ignite is bound to make any player sit up straight in their seat.

It's not that they can't wield it; it's just more difficult. Plus Jedi have the Lightsaber Combat ability that completely obliterates any non-force user in a fight.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And who's to say whe you parry the lightsaber, you are going blade to blade.. you could be nicking the back of his hand (or arm) causing him to flinch thereby missing. you could just be dodging.

BUT as for the RG.. iir their force pikes are magnetically shielded, similar to those magnaguards staffs that we saw gen grevious's guards in ROTS use in the beginning fight.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while back a friend was GM'ing a session and trapped a Jedi character in an old mine shaft. The Jedi tried to use his light-saber to carve away a shaft wall to reach a side tunnel and was amazed to see the blade of his omnipotent weapon bend 45 degrees when he struck the wall. He had inadvertently hit a hidden chunk of Mandalorian iron ore.

He was baffled until he later figured it out.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT would be a game session to remember.
Frandal
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have paid for seeing his face.

But I really like the idea of a full armored bounty-hunter ignitating a lightsaber... Guys, my players are going to hate you Wink

But returning to the topic of non-force sensitive people using lightsabers, well, here we got General Grievius who killed no few Jedi in duels against them.
Ok ok he wouldn't be "honorable" in all his duels and having four arms and four lightsabers surely aids,a nd the trainign of a Sith lord as Dokuu, but I think it's a good example of someone capable of face a Jedi in lightsaber combat and going back home for dinner while the Jedi not.
So it is possible, difficult yes, but possible for someone non-sensitive to learn how to use properly a lightsaber in hand-to-hand combat.
On the contrary I would give the character a very hard time if she ever tries to parry an incoming blaster bolt. That's a whole different story IMO.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parrying blaster bolts requires the force, IMHO.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my home made races DO get the power to use their 'racial weapon' (lightsaber attached to a staff) to parry bolts.. base is on range + to hit score.. The closer in the harder it is to do.. They are not themselves force users though some can be.
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend agree you would have to have the force to block a blaster bolt. In the movies Luke can not do it well till he puts the blast shield down and uses the force. Fighting with a lightsaber could be learned by anyone with enough time and practice. The use of a training saber would make this painful yet possible.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parrying a blaster bolt without the force is like trying to swat bullets out of the air with a 2x4. Without the added senses of a force user, by the time you even see the bolt coming it has already hit you.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen video of a guy cleaving an airsoft pellet out of the air with a sword, something that is nearly impossible. At that he's just got to be really really good at predicting where the pellet is going to be since human beings can't track something going that fast. How much more impossible must it then be to anticipate the movements of a bullet? On top of that how much more impossible would it be to track something moving at the speed of light?

It's either the Force or nothing, IMO in terms of deflecting blasters.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheshire, I saw that vid. The guy was a modern day samurai and been doing martial arts sine he started walking.

Besides, an airsoft pellet is doing no more than 275 feet per second, which is roughly .00000000000000000000000000000000000001 light speed Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: