The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How to Help New Roleplayers Become Comfortable
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How to Help New Roleplayers Become Comfortable Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: How to Help New Roleplayers Become Comfortable Reply with quote

Hi all,

I started running my own campaign a few months ago. Two of the players are close friends of mine who have gamed with me for a few years. The other two are their girlfriends who have never played a roleplaying game before.

They express quite a bit of anxiety whenever their characters have to make a decision - whether social or in combat. It seems that most times they look to the other players to see what they should do. My experienced players, being honorable roleplayers, try not to tell other characters what to do, because they want to avoid metagaming. Instead, they ask guiding questions, try to clarify the situation, and ask the new players what their characters would do in that circumstance.

I think they handle it well, but I don't want my players to have anxiety to begin with. I want this game to be fun for them at all times.

Do you have any ideas for things that I could do to help reduce anxiety for my players so that they can ease into the unique realm of roleplaying?

I started playing so long ago that I don't remember what it was like for me.

Cheers!
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if they have fun, their anxiety should disappear over time.
Although having the girlfriend (or, in this case even worse, two girlfriends) is very often a hindrance and might disrupt the game (at least whenever a girlfriend in my group got involved, it never ended well -.-).

That might also be the source of their anxiety, they don't want to look bad or act weird in front of their boyfriends who obviously like this kind of game a lot (or they wouldn't have played for several years).

I know, that doesn't really help you.... but I don't really have any advice besides saying that... sorry Sad
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this phenomena before, and as long as they're participating, they should get the hang of it before too long. I used to be much more uptight about players metagaming and using OOC (out-of-character) knowledge, but I'm starting to relax on that and remember that it's just a game and the main goal should be for everyone to have fun. Some more narrative-type games, where everyone is encouraged to give OOC information have helped me change.

As long as each person is at least trying to play (I've seen it where the girlfriend does nothing but distract her boyfriend), then you should be okay.

I've noticed overall that women (especially ones that are new to RPGs) tend to be more cautious and timid, so it might not hurt to remind them that they can just go ahead and try whatever they feel like, and that you and the guys are there as a safety net (just in case they're about to do something that would end up getting their characters killed).
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the advice!

They both really like the story and the game. They just freeze up sometimes. They're not like other groups where the girlfriend/boyfriend is just their to spend time with one's partner; they are geeks just like the rest of us and enjoy a good story.

I think it is important, like DougRed4 said, to remind the players that they should not worry so much about their decisions, because the party will find a way to succeed. I also, as GM, always try to make the game more interesting based on player decisions, rather than punishing them. There are the obvious times when I warn the new players that certain decisions will earn them darkside points or seriously jeopardize their goals, but that doesn't happen too much.

I think it is important to know that they will become more comfortable with time, as Quetzacotl said. I just want to make that transition as smooth as possible for them.

Cheers!
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a confidence issue.What might help is to set up a couple of situations where each character must act independently. That can help to build their confidence. Right now, they are probably unconformable because they are a bit worried about making a mistake and getting the group killed off or something equally bad. When you screw up in an RPG you tend to be on center stage with everybody's attention. A few more decisions help to ease the tension.

Just make sure you don't make it in a life of death situation. That could make their worst fears come true if they make the wrong decision. Keep in safe, but interesting (like paying the "wrong" customs official the landing fees, or other minor things). That way they learn that not only is is okay to make a decision on their own, but that they can make the wrong decision and things usually won't come to a screeching halt.

I had a situation like this happen when a friend brought his wife to the game. She settled down after she made a few good decsions when other players messed up. Turns out, she was a better player than her hubby.

Once the girls manage to accomplish something on their own, they will feel more like equals and become more comfortable.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's about you run a one off for just the GFs.. with say their BFs acting as independent observers (not actual part of the game)..
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a one-off is a great idea! We've already talked about doing one. We play on Saturdays, and May the 4th is on a Saturday this year, so we're planning on having a Star Wars gaming marathon. Maybe I can do the one-offs then.

I will discuss it with them!

Some of the players also feel that they do not know enough about the Star Wars universe. I have provided sourcebooks for them to read at their leisure, but they haven't found the time to read them.

Do you think it would be a good idea if we just watched some of the movies together?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have them watch the movies with their BFs rather than you.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
have them watch the movies with their BFs rather than you.

Haha. I figured the whole gaming group could have a Star Wars movie night. We're all friends outside of gaming, anyway.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:

Do you think it would be a good idea if we just watched some of the movies together?

I gave our newbie a copy of Heir to the Empire to read. I told her if she liked it, then there's more where that came from. If she doesn't like it, then it really doesn't get any better from there.

Also, how long has the game been going on? Four sessions? Five sessions? Ten sessions? It might just help get some context to know what level of newbiedom we're dealing with here.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've played about 8 or 9 sessions. One of the party members has only been around for 3.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 'rank newbies' i can easily understand why some are anxious this early into their gaming career. How ever if they were like this after 8-9 months of gaming (more than 1 session a month) i would be worried.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only been three months. The one who's been playing longer seems to be settling in better.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might need to keep an eye on the experience players too.

When I had to break in a new player, I'd often slow things down a bit for them and try to explain things a bit to help the learn the game mechanics, style of play and so forth. But...my experienced players would be caught up in the story, be able to read the dice and results live, and and try to go through things in shorthand-turbo mode so they could get to the next round.

SO while I was trying to get the new player to figure out how to read the dice rolls, and what his 17 attack meant again a 14 parry, the rest of the group would be going "Roll Damage!". Naturally that put a lot of pressure on the new players and got them confused to boot.

Eventually I had to threaten dire consequences (and they thought Dire Wolves were tough) to those who tried to rush the newbies.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice about slowing down the veteran players, at.

And I think having a movie night and watching a Star Wars film (or two) is an excellent idea! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: