The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Disney buys Lucasfilm and promises 3 more Star Wars movies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Disney buys Lucasfilm and promises 3 more Star Wars movies! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the Christian gaming groups aren't "forming"; rather they have been around for over a decade (probably more like 15 years).
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said their ruling was a good one. I think Roleplaying is a great hobby that helps make people more creative. I said and rather correctly that the ruling was based on a bias understanding of roleplaying. A legal ruling based on the facts that someone does not understand the game is one based on bias of what they heard or think of the game. Thus showing that some people still have bad feelings about table top roleplaying. The problems with roleplaying were always based on it was occult or gang like activety controled by the game master. Thus the ruling was based on those understandings.

Now this does not show or even indicate that there is a bias againist roleplaying every where in America just that it is still alive in places.
I am however curious based on what evidence you think Disney will continue a table top roleplaying line for any of there products (even ones without the Disney name directly attached)? I could be wrong but I do not believe that any product Disney owns under any company name has a table top roleplaying game out for it. If anyone knows of one please direct me to where I can find information on it.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end this probably isn't of all that great a consequence for D6 gamers. Since the license has gone to FFG, it seems unlikely that we'll be receiving any new D6 products. I've been following the course of the EotE beta, and it doesn't sound like it will be easily converted into a D6 product. Should EotE die a terrible death or that FFG will find their license not renewed at the end of their five or ten year cycle, I doubt that it has much impact on us.

Many stopped caring once the RPG license went to WotC. A few of us stuck it out and converted the stats from d20 to D6, but even then we didn't exactly have a unanimous response from the community.

In the end, I'm going to guess either way the SW D6 community will see it's numbers continue to rise and fall as a niche within a niche within a niche.
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true hope they do not get like Palladium books with their product rights though
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And start restricting online communities, fan projects, etc?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draven wrote:
I never said their ruling was a good one. I think Roleplaying is a great hobby that helps make people more creative. I said and rather correctly that the ruling was based on a bias understanding of roleplaying. A legal ruling based on the facts that someone does not understand the game is one based on bias of what they heard or think of the game. Thus showing that some people still have bad feelings about table top roleplaying. The problems with roleplaying were always based on it was occult or gang like activety controled by the game master. Thus the ruling was based on those understandings.

Now this does not show or even indicate that there is a bias againist roleplaying every where in America just that it is still alive in places.
I am however curious based on what evidence you think Disney will continue a table top roleplaying line for any of there products (even ones without the Disney name directly attached)? I could be wrong but I do not believe that any product Disney owns under any company name has a table top roleplaying game out for it. If anyone knows of one please direct me to where I can find information on it.

Draven, I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. I've read extensively about this case, work in the exact environment they're talking about (and have for nearly two decades), and think I've got a pretty good grasp on what got discussed in this court case.

While I think we both agree the ruling wasn't a good one, where I differ with you is that I don't think the ruling was made due to any prejudice or beliefs that RPGs are associated with the occult (or that they're "evil"). Like you, I believe RPGs can be used as an excellent way of expressing creativity. I think that, with the right safeguards put into place (to make sure GMs don't wield any undue power or authority), RPGs could have been deemed a good thing. Unfortunately, and probably due to there not being enough people on "our side" of this to explain things for the pro-RPG side, the Courts ruled otherwise.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can kinda see how RPGing might not be that great an idea in a prison environment.Not due to "evil" or "Occult" reasons but for social, and secruity reasons.

Social in terms that we've all probably gamed with someone who'se taken events in a game too personally. Some guys in jail might knife the GM to get back at what he did to thier character. Yeah, it's stupid, and most probably wouldn't, but one nut-case it all it takes.

Security in terms of the ability to pass information in a sort of secret code (RPGspeak), coordinate actions, and so on. All it takes it one "jailbreak" adventure to make the guards paranoid.

And I think Cheshire is right about the change in ownership having little direct effect on D6 Star Wars. The odds of any more official D6 SW products ever appearing are only slightly better than my chances with a supermodel. Disney can't do much about our playing an officially licensed game that we all paid for, and they would be stupid to try. About the only effect they really have on us will be in affecting the fan base with the quality (or lack thereof) of any new films.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course IF they did decide to make a move on cracking down on the whole hobby, they could have means of doing so, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble to shut down such a juggernaut at this stage. Particularly when D6 programs and software (whenever they were produced) kinda got a free pass from WotC and LFL. Assuming they even made enough waves to get noticed.
Draven
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true they may not have made enough waves to get noticed. As well they may be so small now to continue to go unnoticed. I would say there is no chance as all of seeing new offical d6 rpg material for Star Wars. There is no D6 company that I know of that could aford the liscense. What I hope is they do not crack down on the fan made material you can get on this site and a few other sites. I would think there will be little to know attempt till they release their movie. But I wonder how they will look on converstions of the new movies if they are any good.

I agree we have to disagree on the ruling. Does not change the fact that much of the bias towards roleplaying is that the Game Master can supposedly get other players to do criminal acts that he wants them to do. The court ruled that was the case so hard to say their ruling was not based on that old bias.

Yes I could see where roleplaying would be something that made the guards a little worried. Like you said one prison break game would be all it took to do it in some cases. I have personally never had a player take anything in the game personally. In that I understand that I am a rather rare case there as well.
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

I can kinda see how RPGing might not be that great an idea in a prison environment.Not due to "evil" or "Occult" reasons but for social, and secruity reasons.

Also, there could be issues with gambling. I have a few friends that did/do work in some correctional facilities and they have a policy on 100% nothing that can support gambling (no dice etc). Even here where I work (with at risk youth in the ChalleNGe program) we have to keep an eye out for it.

From that stand point, it’s sad. I think RPGs could be a good tool and a way to get away from the program here (at least mentally), but I’ve seen cadets get in fights because someone took the last chocolate milk (and the guy they jumped wasn’t the one that had choc milk), and I’ve seen them try and sneak dice out of the math teacher’s classroom (used to help her teach probabilities). Take that from 16-18 year old kids to adults in a hard-core prison …

Forgive all spelling errors.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Of course IF they did decide to make a move on cracking down on the whole hobby, they could have means of doing so, but it seems like an awful lot of trouble to shut down such a juggernaut at this stage. Particularly when D6 programs and software (whenever they were produced) kinda got a free pass from WotC and LFL. Assuming they even made enough waves to get noticed.

It would be a bad move on their part. It would cost a lot on money, take up a lot of time and ultimately not be very successful. They can't stop us from playing D6 Star Wars with the WEG stuff we've already bought. There isn't any profit in it for them. In fact, they stand to lose a lot more money by angering the fanbase, and losing some of their "sure thing" customers.

What I could see happening is their making a move to curtain unlicensed Star Wars RPG products, if such got a lot of notice or if FFG complained. But seeing how low a profile fan produced D6 Star Wars supplements have, both Disney and FFG are far better off to let sleeping Sith lie. Just think about how many of us bought D20 Star Wars stuff to convert to D6?. THose are still sales. TO the big companies it doesn't matter if we play the games, just as long as we keep buying the books. THey make the same money if we play a RPG every day, or never even crack open the books.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lurker"]
atgxtg wrote:

Also, there could be issues with gambling. I have a few friends that did/do work in some correctional facilities and they have a policy on 100% nothing that can support gambling (no dice etc). Even here where I work (with at risk youth in the ChalleNGe program) we have to keep an eye out for it

Oooh, good point. As a hardcore gamer I tend to forget the orginal purpose of dice!

Quote:

From that stand point, it’s sad. I think RPGs could be a good tool and a way to get away from the program here (at least mentally), but I’ve seen cadets get in fights because someone took the last chocolate milk (and the guy they jumped wasn’t the one that had choc milk), and I’ve seen them try and sneak dice out of the math teacher’s classroom (used to help her teach probabilities). Take that from 16-18 year old kids to adults in a hard-core prison …

Yeah, I can see both sides of the problem. While it is great escapism, and just the sort of thing that could help to pass tthe time, and can even serve to help rehabilitate some people, I can also see fights breaking out.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

What I could see happening is their making a move to curtain unlicensed Star Wars RPG products, if such got a lot of notice or if FFG complained. But seeing how low a profile fan produced D6 Star Wars supplements have, both Disney and FFG are far better off to let sleeping Sith lie. Just think about how many of us bought D20 Star Wars stuff to convert to D6?. THose are still sales. TO the big companies it doesn't matter if we play the games, just as long as we keep buying the books. THey make the same money if we play a RPG every day, or never even crack open the books.

Yeah, I wound up with the full swath of SAGA books. It's kind of a dangerous thing to keep in the house, because now my wife and I are players in a SAGA game. Smile

Anyway, I've been listening to the Order 66 podcast and I've played the Beginner game. Though I see where there are some narrative elements and it's a cinematic game, I'm really wondering how much we'll be able to convert this. Don't get me wrong, I'll try, but it won't be easy. Smile No promises this time.

Still... you raise a point because I'm definitely going to be picking up the core book to investigate how possible it is. Granted, I'm probably going to pick it up someplace discounted as $60 is kinda steep. But they're getting at least one sale out of the D6 community. Smile
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points on the way RPGs can end up causing players to take things personally. Reminds me of a squabble between my brother and I (both teens) from a Gamma World game. We were in a fight (over equipment) in the game that spilled over into real life, until my dad warned us that if we couldn't work it out the game was over with.

It's easy to forget that (even adult) prisoners often have the emotional maturity of young people. Fights can happen over even the smallest things, and you're right that gambling is not allowed at all (we allow them to wager pushups, but that's it).

So yeah, while I generally don't like the ruling, I kind of get both sides of the argument, and there are some elements of RPGs - great as they are for passing the time and encouraging creativity and other positives - that could be problematic for detention institutions.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goodness. This thread went a bit off-topic.

Is there any more news on the Disney ordeal? Do you think they'll put up production videos as they go along, like Peter Jackson did with the Hobbit?

That would be cool. They probably will not though, because it could give things away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 13 of 20

Jump to: