The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Time to re-stat an official species
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Time to re-stat an official species
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Time to re-stat an official species Reply with quote

Now THIS will have an effect on the landscape!

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2013/02/20/star-wars-mysteries-getting-to-the-bottom-of-max-rebo/

Just for kicks, does anyone want to give a shot at your re-envisioning of Max Rebo? Or do you think the official stats capture this idea well enough?
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really matter? Just because the original artist envisioned him differently doesn't necessarily mean we have to change anything.

But now I kinda want to play an Ortolan out of curiousity.....
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not really. In all honesty I was just a little surprised to see that this was the original intent of the suit design. I thought it would be fun to see if anyone would think they would stat it differently if they knew the guy didn't have arms.

Though the thread name may indicate it I don't really think it needs to change. Might be an interesting conjecture though if the species did go through with the original design.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be difficult to scratch one's nose while standing
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. But if the guy is going to be able to play keyboard with his feet, I'm certain he could scratch (sorta scratch... it's not like he had toenails), fire a blaster, etc.

Though movement and manual (or pedal) dexterity options would be hard in the same round. That is to say, dodging and shooting in the same round would be really hard. So would running and throwing.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's give this a go!
I'm going with the idea that they're kind of a cross between a a humanoid alien, a hippo and a manatee, and statting with that in mind.

Attribute Dice: 11D
Dexterity: 1D+2/3D+2
Knowledge: 2D/4D
Mechanical: 1D+2/4D
Perception: 2D/4D
Strength: 2D/4D+2
Technical: 1D+2/4D
Special Abilities:
Biramous* - Ortolans have only two arm/leg-like appendages with which they walk and manipulate objects; as a result most actions that require manipulating an object must be completed while sitting. Ortolans cannot move and manipulate items at the same time, for example, they cannot run and fire/throw a weapon, for example. A seated character can fire and dodge, however, with a -2D penalty to the Dodge roll, cumulative with any MAPs otherwise incurred.
Semi-aquatic - Ortoans' forelimbs have evolved into flipper-like appendages and they are skilled swimmers; Ortolans need only apply the Swimming skill to situations where water conditions would be considered hazardous. Ortolans can also hold their breath for long periods, gaining +2D to Stamina checks to hold their breath.
Foraging - Any attempt at foraging for food (weather as a survival technique or when looking for a good restaurant) gains +2D.
Ingestion - Ortolans can ingest large amounts of different types of food. They gain +1D to resisting any attempt at poisoning or indigestion.
Story Factors:
Food - The Ortolans are obsessed with food and the possibility that they may miss a meal. While members of other species find this amusing ,the Ortolans believe that it is an integral part of life. Offering an Ortolan food in exchange for a service or a consideration gains the character +2D (or more, if it is really good food) on a Persuasion attempt.
Move: 5/8; Swim: 10/12
Size: 1.2m

* - I recognize that biramous is being misapplied here, but it's the best word I could think of Razz

Donate to Ankhanu Press
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I'll buy that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: