The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lesser Force Shield
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Lesser Force Shield
View previous topic :: View next topic  
borithan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Lesser Force Shield Reply with quote

Last session a question came up in game regarding the force power Lesser Force Shield. The wording is... well a bit odd, and so we weren't sure on how to apply it.

The text says that it provides Str+1d Armour. Now, just taken as it is stated this suggests that you should take the characters Strength and add 1d and then add that as armour to the Strength roll to determine the damage soak roll. This would mean doubling strength and adding 1D.

This just seems... well, too powerful. This means even a mook level strengthg of 2d would get 5d soak, and anything more than that starts to get to absurd levels, with a maximum of 9d soak with a strength of 4d. This is particularly the case when combined with the description of it being a limited form of protection and, from what I can tell, not being a too difficult power to put into action.

The only other way I could see it working is 1) it simply adds +1d armour to your soak, or 2) it adds a barrier of Str+1d between you and any damage, meaning it follows the rules for penetrating cover (make a damage roll against cover, and then use the damage result to work out if there is any affect on the amount of damage inflcited on the person behind cover). The first seems... possibly underwhelming, though still useful, especially if you can combine it with other armour and you take into account the other effects like preventing gasses getting through to harm you (which is the major effect it has had so far, as it has prevented one of the party being gassed by an aneasthetic gas which the rest of the players in the room have been knocked out by). The second option is... well fiddly to say the least. I have generally been avoiding the cover damage rules by just placing things in the way that could reliably be expected to either stop a shot completely or reduce it to insignficance. I would use them if the players wanted to try shooting through cover specifically or if there was a particularly powerful weapon on the field of combat, but otherwise the extra work is generally not worth the effect.

The other thing is when investigating it one of the players found a reference to it causing you to gain a Dark Side point. This is not the case in my copy of the Tales of the Jedi sourcebook, and doesn't really make that much sense to me. Is there anywhere where such a rule is referenced?
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lesser Force Shield just gives you a bonus of +1D to your soak roll.
A person with 2D STR and activated LFS would roll 3D to soak damage.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.. All it does is give 1d of 'force armor'.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Lesser Force Shield Reply with quote

borithan wrote:
The other thing is when investigating it one of the players found a reference to it causing you to gain a Dark Side point. This is not the case in my copy of the Tales of the Jedi sourcebook, and doesn't really make that much sense to me. Is there anywhere where such a rule is referenced?

A few years ago I went through the laborious task of typing up every word of every force power for a handout. I found minor discrepancies between the write-ups in some of the books but I do not recall ever having seen a DSP warning for Lesser Force Shield. If your player could find a reference for it in any official source, I would love to see it. I could be wrong, but I think they're either remembering something incorrectly, or looking at a source where someone has transcribed the power incorrectly.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, based on what we see in the prequels and the Clone Wars, I'd rather dump Lesser Force Shield entirely in favor of an expanded and enhanced form of Absorb/Dissipate Energy.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm away from my books at the moment, but I seem to remember a Force power from the Jedi Academy book that functioned kind of like an anti-life aura used to repulse vermin and such. As I recall, this was considered a dark side power because of its "anti-life" properties. borithan, maybe your player is thinking of this power as a "shield?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: