The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Back In The Saddle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Back In The Saddle Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@crmcneill

I don't like that kind of approach.
It's like having a toy you want to play with but creating it in a way that it's highly impractical and complicated to use it so you just end up not playing with that toy.

Imagin a ferrari (or whatever strikes your fancy) that can drive super fast and has a lot of neat extras with it, but you can only drive it on around 1% of all the streets in the world. Nobody wants something like that.

Personally, I think it should be easier to use force powers, but that they are not that powerful (or that using several force powers give a much higher MAP when using more then one force power).

For example, we simply removed the "concentration" power because it was just rediculous how you could use it so often.
LSC got a nerf. It's easier to use on low levels but doesn't escalate as much on higher levels (keeping it up doesn't give you a MAP but you can only add half the sense/control to your attack/parry and damage).

So instead of restricting the use of force powers by making it extremely hard and complicated it would be better to simply make the force powers weaker as a whole (without making them obsolete).
Inviktus
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I turned force skills into attributes and powers into specialized skills.

I also moved each power under only one of the three force attributes.

The result is much slower across the board advancement, but almost no MAP penalties or multi-round activations.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quetzacotl wrote:
@crmcneill

I don't like that kind of approach.
It's like having a toy you want to play with but creating it in a way that it's highly impractical and complicated to use it so you just end up not playing with that toy.

And you are perfectly welcome to your opinion. My view is based on my own personal take not just on the abilities of Jedi, but their philosophy of its use as well. My interpretation is derived from both the films and various credible EU sources, and IMO, this is best expressed by Jedi using their power only when absolutely necessary or essential. When introducing this concept in a game, the best approach is a Pavlovian one. It's not that the Jedi can't use these powers; they just have to consider the consequences when they do.

To quote your Ferrari example, Ferrari owners (or indeed the owner of any high performance vehicle) already have restrictions that keep them from utilizing the vehicle's full potential: traffic laws. This is something similar; it's not that a Jedi can't use the Force at all (as the Disturbance threshold is set relatively high), its more representative of Jedi gaining skill and knowledge (in the form of increased skill dice) via wise, ethical and selective use.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's only 1/2 the normal CP cost to advance the Force power? That's kinda cool. It allows the Jedi to diversify. But how do you classify those powers that span two Force skills? For example, lightsaber combat (LSC) spans control and sense. My character has a Control of 2D and a Sense of 1D. What is my starting LSC die code and how do I raise it one pip?
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be positive how Inviktus is doing it, but from what he said it sounds like he would move any multiple power (like LSC) under one attribute. So, for instance, Lightsaber Combat might be under Control (only).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Yeah, unless you're doing some sort of COMPLETELY altered Force rules, if you boost the Jedi at the beginning of the game, they'll be running the game in no time.

Also, make sure you create situations that force the Jedi to diversify their skill set. If all the do is control and sense, they'll be mowing over short range targets before you can blink.

Well until they find someone to be their master, the cost of raising their force attributes is double, so they usually DO diversify their skills.

Quote:
The other way is to start Force Sensitive at 18D attributes and learn Jedi skills along the way, which is much more usable in early adventures as a party PC but the problem here is you must as a GM create plausible circumstances for the Player to gain Jedi training, which can impact campaign plots when say for example, the Party starts wondering why the Jedi Master the PC has found to learn from doesn't go duel Vader or otherwise become an active NPC affecting game outcomes

Plus some may desire their own 'supped up tutor' to be placed in to meet their whims. RARE but it has happened. This is why i usually prefer someone start already AS a force user, so there is already the need given to find a master.. rather than start as FS and then want to shift to being a FU.

Quote:
2) Using garhkal's Disturbance in the Force rule, if a Jedi rolls to high on his Force skills, he causes a disturbance in the Force that stimulates an Imperial response.

Thanks.. but the credit for that idea goes to the sparks group, where i got the idea (and maybe a little of the rules) from.

Quote:
For example, we simply removed the "concentration" power because it was just rediculous how you could use it so often.

Perhaps then you need to look into the threads we have had here concerning the power.. 'Want to use it in battle, ok diff is top end moderate cause its stressful.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I'm experimenting with an alternate Force system that creates a serious paradox for Jedi.

1) I've changed Force Sensitive to an attribute, with CSA as skills under that attribute. In addition, I've rewritten and/or broadened the scope of several Force powers. This isn't always in the Jedi's favor; for instance, with Danger Sense, I've replaced the automatic initiative win with a bonus to initiative equal to the Jedi's Sense roll, counterbalanced by initiative penalties for complex, subtle, indirect and/or simultaneous attacks.

2) Using garhkal's Disturbance in the Force rule, if a Jedi rolls to high on his Force skills, he causes a disturbance in the Force that stimulates an Imperial response.

3) Most importantly, I actually penalize Jedi for excessive Force use, in the form of reduced CP awards and such.

I haven't been able to pull the whole thing together in a manner that I like, but the goal is to create a Force system in which Jedi are still very powerful, but are forced to be much more circumspect in how and when they use their abilities.

I really like a lot of this, especially #2 and #3, as it fits very well into the existing canon/rules for Jedi. Though I am aware of the power level that a Jedi could exemplify, my player of a Jedi is really role-playing him well, so I'm not overly concerned that he will 'abuse' any of his abilities. For instance, so far through numerous adventures he has yet to use his lightsaber in public, so as not to alert the Empire to their (new) group's existence.

Any chance of a reposting (or link) for garhkal's Disturbance in the Force rules?

It seems that most people amend/alter the Force abilities, so I'm still considering all of this to figure out how best to handle things.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@crmcneill
If I have offended you in some way, sorry, that was not my intention.

I only stated my opinion about how to change the rules. I, personally, don't like rules that make things overly complicated or even punish you if you have "to much luck" (the disturbance in the force if you roll to high).

It's not my place to judge any idea of anyone, because every person has his or her own opinion, I just wanted to say that I don't like that way and wanted to give a reason why I don't like it. That doesn't mean that it's not good. I depends on the people one is playing with and that would be the kinds of rules I, personally, wouldn't want to play with. But again, thats only what I think and only my opinion, no offense ment here.

@Inviktus
I kinda like that idea. It would definitely unify the whole system (since Force skills and normal skills are working on kinda different principles).

How did you decide what kind of difficulty the power-skills have and what force-attribute they belong to?
It's obvious for the Single ones (like Telekinesis for Alter or Control Pain for Control), but how about the others (like LSC or even Affect Mind)?
Did you just randomly dicide, take the one that feels dominant or did you use any other kind of approach to determine that?

The only problem I would see here is, that a foce sensitive character could just focus on a single skill, like telekinesis or even LSC, and offset the balance even more (because, as a specialization, you could raise it to a high level relatively fast).
Have you encountered that kind of Problem?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got rid of Concentration too, plus I folded Lightsaber Combat into Combat Sense. I got rid of the Control bonus to damage, made the Lightsaber a Str+5D weapon, then made the To Hit bonus equal to either 2D or the degree to which the character has improved his skill above the base attribute (whichever is greater, so long as the bonus does not exceed the character's Sense dice). The biggest change is that I allow it to be used with any combat related skills, including the appropriate Mech skills.

For example, a Jedi with 3D in Dex, Mech and Sense with 7D Lightsaber, 5D+1 Blaster and 4D Starship Gunnery would receive:
    • +3D bonus to Lightsaber (Base skill is +4D above attribute, but bonus can't exceed Sense of 3D).

• +2D+1 to Blaster (Base skill is +2D+1 above attribute, but lower than the 3D Sense maximum).

• +2D to Starship Gunnery (Base skill is only +1D over attribute, but is also below the +2D minimum bonus)

With this power, a character can apply the guidance provided by the Force to a much greater variety of situations, but still has to practice both with the Force (Sense skill) and with the weapon / vehicle to use this ability to its fullest potential.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quetzacotl wrote:
@crmcneill
If I have offended you in some way, sorry, that was not my intention.

Not to worry. This forum is all about us being able to express differing opinions. There is nothing wrong with you having a different idea of what works than mine. Even an idea that you dislike can lead you to a different concept that you would not have otherwise considered.

Quote:
I only stated my opinion about how to change the rules. I, personally, don't like rules that make things overly complicated or even punish you if you have "to much luck" (the disturbance in the force if you roll to high).

It's not a perfected concept by any means, and your point about being "too lucky" is one into which I have put a lot of thought. Right now, my solution involves changing the disturbance created based on the skill being used, so that Alter skills would create a full disturbance (say, equal to the value rolled on their Alter dice), while Control would create a much smaller disturbance (Control roll x 1/2) and Sense would create no disturbance at all.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
Any chance of a reposting (or link) for garhkal's Disturbance in the Force rules?

Here's the link.

Inviktus
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougRed4 wrote:
I can't be positive how Inviktus is doing it, but from what he said it sounds like he would move any multiple power (like LSC) under one attribute. So, for instance, Lightsaber Combat might be under Control (only).

Correct.

Quetzacotl wrote:

@Inviktus
I kinda like that idea. It would definitely unify the whole system (since Force skills and normal skills are working on kinda different principles).

How did you decide what kind of difficulty the power-skills have and what force-attribute they belong to?
It's obvious for the Single ones (like Telekinesis for Alter or Control Pain for Control), but how about the others (like LSC or even Affect Mind)?
Did you just randomly dicide, take the one that feels dominant or did you use any other kind of approach to determine that?

The only problem I would see here is, that a foce sensitive character could just focus on a single skill, like telekinesis or even LSC, and offset the balance even more (because, as a specialization, you could raise it to a high level relatively fast).
Have you encountered that kind of Problem?

Either by whichever force skill has the highest activation number or what seems to suit the theme best. For example Affect Mind is under Alter.

As for costs, yes Telekinesis can now advance twice as fast as the old Alter, but if you want all Alter powers to go up at once you're paying x10 the old cost.

Consider if you raise both Control Pain and Remain Conscious together you've just paid equal to what the old Control would have cost.

So to my mind I've hugely slowed power advancement in terms of overall CP costs. On the other hand, if a character decides to specialize, that's ok with me. I see force users with difference specialties as a game enhancing feature.

Also, the crippling choice of giving up those attribute dice to start with force abilities is somewhat mitigated that the in-game costs are higher now. It's no longer an absolute no-brainer in point cost to start out only force sensitive.

Most importantly for myself, and my rules shy players, the complexity of using force powers during a game is substantially reduced.

As for the long term effects of this experiment, we'll just have to see. I've recently returned to running Star Wars after having not played it since I bought the 1st ed back in the '80s. This group now has about ten sessions completed and two force users in play.

In terms of actual choices, they both busted a starting attribute die and placed 1 pip in each of the force attributes. After sinking ALL experience gains into force-related attributes and powers the Jedi now has 1d Control and 2d (one extra die) in Lightsaber Combat. Sense and Alter are likewise 1d, but no other powers are advanced beyond base.

Additional notes: I've charged 5 CP each for the sub 0d force attribute pips and 1 CP each to list a new power on their sheets. In actual practice we listed the pips as 1d-2, then 1d-1 and 1d. I have a house rule that just a pip still gets an actual die so they can get the wild die effect out of it.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, all in all, those Jedis can't really use any force powers... Moderate roll with 2D is nearly impossible (you need to spend some CP) and they can't benefit from LSC thanks to the -1 MAP, or am I missing something? (even Very Easy checks with just 1D are kinda hard)
Under Pale Gray Skies
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
In games where i allow someone to play a force user, they make them as is.
Each starting D they place into their force attributes (c/s/a) gives them 1 starting power..

1 power per D? Is that by the book?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an alternate rule where Force Sensitive is an attribute, with a value selected from the starting 18D. It makes starting Jedi more formidable while simultaneously setting the bar higher for skill improvement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: