The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Deep freeze...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Deep freeze...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Deep freeze... Reply with quote

Has anyone made house rules up for what happens to people caught out in the deep cold?
what penalties could one give for firing through a blizzard?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a penalty to hit due to obscured vision. Being cold would add penalties due to pain and shaking.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think firing through a blizzard would be like firing through smoke, ie:

Cover Modifier
Light smoke +1D
Thick smoke +2D
Very thick smoke +4D

Maybe smoke penalty plus an additional +1D to make it a little more difficult? So very heavy blizzard would be +5D for example? Or additional +2D?

Interesting that I don't recall any cold rules, I mean considering one of the worlds seen in the original trilogy was Hoth...

And yet for some reason I do recall some cold rules, I might be mixing up games though, let me look...

T.C.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing I was thinking. I don't recall seeingcold rules, though. Matter of fact, i dont recall seeing any weather related rules to speak of... Confused
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Matter of fact, i dont recall seeing any weather related rules to speak of... Confused

Yeah, I've got a feeling I got my rules systems mixed up... But I'm still looking through...

T.C.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck even in Rules of Engagement there is little for rules on temp issues.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, yeah, nothing about weather, in fact the only real blip is in the survival skill where it talks about using the skill to survive in adverse environments.

But no rules that I could find.

Anyone have any thoughts?

T.C.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I'd seen some rules somewhere!! Very Happy

These rules are from the Wildspace site, I make no claim to them, I merely share them here for the community. (Click on 'Workshop' tab, and scroll down to 'Miscellaneous Rules')

Quote:

Suffocation
If a character is unable to breathe – whether being physically choked, or in an environment with air and pressure but no oxygen (or other vital gases) – a Stamina roll is necessary at the beginning of each round. Difficulty is Very Easy for the first round, increasing one level each round. Each time the Stamina roll fails, the character’s condition deteriorates as though he/she was wounded by an attack. When this happens, a Willpower roll at 2 levels higher difficulty allows the character to remain conscious and continue making skill rolls (even after becoming Incapacitated or Mortally Wounded).

Hunger and Thirst
A typical human-sized character requires about 3kg of food each day. Starvation begins after 3 days without food. Each day beyond this requires a Stamina roll, beginning at Easy and increasing +1 each time. Each time the roll fails, the character’s condition deteriorates, as though he/she was wounded by an attack. These injuries can not be healed by medical equipment or bacta, only by proper nutrition.
A typical human-sized character requires about 1 liter of water each day, although this varies by the environment- characters in a desert setting will require more. Dehydration begins after one day without water, and every 2 hours afterward, the character must make a Stamina roll. Difficulty is Easy, but increasing by +1 each time. Each time the roll fails, the character’s condition deteriorates, as though he/she was wounded by an attack. These injuries can not be healed by medical equipment or bacta, only by proper hydration.

Atmospheric Effects
In a thin atmosphere, a character must make a Easy Stamina roll each hour, with a cumulative -1 penalty each hour. The first 3 failed Stamina rolls give a –1D penalty to all skill rolls. After this, at each failure the character’s condition deteriorates as though he/she was wounded by an attack. These “injuries” are temporary and can be “healed” by 4 hours exposure to full atmosphere for each failed roll. A character can not recover from failed rolls while he/she is still in the thin-atmosphere environment, unless an air supply is available.
If a character is exposed to a vacuum, normal suffocation rules apply, but Stamina difficulties are increased by1 level. Add at least 1 additional level of difficulty for characters particularly susceptible to the effects of cold (such as reptiles and other cold-blooded races).

Extreme Temperature
In severe heat or cold, a character must make a Moderate Stamina roll each hour, adding a -1 penalty each hour. Particularly appropriate or inappropriate clothing can provide a bonus or penalty of up to 2D. Each time the roll fails, the character’s condition deteriorates, as though he/she was wounded by an attack. If the temperature is extremely hot or cold, the time required between Stamina rolls can be reduced to as little as 10 minutes.
Cold-blooded races suffer worse penalties in cold weather. Immediately upon exposure to a cold environment, a member of a cold-blooded race suffers a –2D penalty to all attributes and skills. The time between Stamina rolls is reduced by half, and Stamina difficulty increases 1 level. Heavy garments are of little help to cold-blooded races, since they do not produce body heat.
Breathing superheated air, such as that directly over a volcano, can also cause injury. Each minute requires a Stamina roll, with difficulties beginning at Very Easy and increasing one level each time. Each time the roll fails, the character’s condition deteriorates, as though he/she was wounded by an attack.

Gravity
Low gravity gives characters a penalty of –1D to all Strength and Dexterity skills except Stamina and Climbing/Jumping. Lifting difficulties are halved, Jumping distances are doubled, and distances fallen are halved when calculating damage; the degree of increase/decrease varies with the amount of gravity. Some locations with low gravity will also have thin atmosphere (see below).
Zero-gravity environments reduce Dexterity rolls by –2D. The skills Running, Swimming, and Climbing/Jumping have little use (although Jumping applies to some movements). Strength is penalized by –2D when attempting to inflict damage when brawling or using a melee weapon, unless a character is able to immobilize his/her opponent with a Brawling roll, or anchor himself/herself for leverage.
High gravity penalizes Strength, Dexterity and all related skills for both attributes, up to –2D.

Underwater Environments
For a species that spend most of its life on dry land, movement underwater is burdensome. Skill rolls that are based on physical actions (except Swimming) are penalized by –2D. If a character has a species-based Swimming skill bonus, the usual –2D penalty is reduced or negated (by the amount of bonus). Swimming skill rolls are necessary for movement (instead of Running), but Dodge is still used for evading ranged attacks, with the penalty to physical actions.
Blasters have reduced effectiveness underwater, unless otherwise indicated in the weapon’s description (sonic blasters, for example, function equally well in and out of water). Blasters have an underwater range that is only 1/10 of normal. Blaster damage is reduced by 1D at medium range, and 2D at long range. Firearms generally will not function underwater, although other projectile weapons have an effective range that is 1/2 of normal. Explosive blasts have a reduced radius, 1/2 of normal, but also produce a shockwave that extends to 3x the normal range and produces a stun effect.
Electronic devices are generally not suited to underwater operation, unless designed by an aquatic race. A device may be waterproofed with a Moderate repair roll assuming the character has appropriate time and parts. Any necessary Repair attempts to the device have an increased difficulty of +1 level, and damage to a waterproofed device usually negates the waterproofing effect.

Original D6 Rules:
For a species that spend most of its life on dry land, movement underwater is burdensome. Skill rolls that are based on physical actions (except Swimming) are penalized by –2D. Swimming skill rolls are necessary for movement (instead of Running), and this skill also takes the place of Dodge.
Blasters have reduced effectiveness underwater, unless otherwise indicated in the weapon’s description. A typical blaster has a –2D penalty to damage while underwater, and increased difficulty of one level. Sonic blasters function equally well in and out of water.

(SSR p73)
Use Swimming for movement, and Swimming +1D for dodges
Grenades do 4D damage for entire range; at close range it is real damage, at farther ranges it is stun.
Blaster difficulty +1 level, -2D damage
Lightsabers boil water and spin around, M Control or D Lightaber to hold on or pick up.

(OE p39)
Use Swimming for movement and dodges
Grenades do 4D damage for entire range; at close range it is real damage, at farther ranges it is stun.
Blaster difficulty +1 level, -2D damage; sonic blasters (like those on waveskimmers) get full damage.
Lightsabers boil water and spin around, M Control or D Lightaber to hold on or pick up.

Rules Adapted From the D20 System (WotC2)
Blasters have an underwater range that is only 1/10 of normal. Blaster damage is reduced by 1D at medium range, and 2D at long range. Firearms generally will not function underwater, although other projectile weapons have an effective range that is 1/2 of normal. Explosive blasts have a reduced radius, 1/2 of normal, but also produce a shockwave that extends to 3x the normal range and produces a Stun effect.

Either these rules, or something like them should do what you need? I know the original question was regarding weather, cold weather considering the blizzard comment, however, I included all these as I think they can be summed up as general 'environment' rules.

T.C.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of deep freeze, I had a character once who got frozen to the point where his temperature dropped below 273 degrees Celsius. He's 0K now.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
I knew I'd seen some rules somewhere!! Very Happy

These rules are from the Wildspace site, I make no claim to them, I merely share them here for the community. (Click on 'Workshop' tab, and scroll down to 'Miscellaneous Rules')

Quote:

Suffocation
If a character is unable to breathe – whether being physically choked, or in an environment with air and pressure but no oxygen (or other vital gases) – a Stamina roll is necessary at the beginning of each round. Difficulty is Very Easy for the first round, increasing one level each round. Each time the Stamina roll fails, the character’s condition deteriorates as though he/she was wounded by an attack. When this happens, a Willpower roll at 2 levels higher difficulty allows the character to remain conscious and continue making skill rolls (even after becoming Incapacitated or Mortally Wounded).

Hunger and Thirst
A typical human-sized character requires about 3kg of food each day. Starvation begins after 3 days without food. Each day beyond this requires a Stamina roll, beginning at Easy and increasing +1 each time. Each time the roll fails, the character’s condition deteriorates, as though he/she was wounded by an attack. These injuries can not be healed by medical equipment or bacta, only by proper nutrition.
A typical human-sized character requires about 1 liter of water each day, although this varies by the environment- characters in a desert setting will require more. Dehydration begins after one day without water, and every 2 hours afterward, the character must make a Stamina roll. Difficulty is Easy, but increasing by +1 each time. Each time the roll fails, the character’s condition deteriorates, as though he/she was wounded by an attack. These injuries can not be healed by medical equipment or bacta, only by proper hydration.

Atmospheric Effects
In a thin atmosphere, a character must make a Easy Stamina roll each hour, with a cumulative -1 penalty each hour. The first 3 failed Stamina rolls give a –1D penalty to all skill rolls. After this, at each failure the character’s condition deteriorates as though he/she was wounded by an attack. These “injuries” are temporary and can be “healed” by 4 hours exposure to full atmosphere for each failed roll. A character can not recover from failed rolls while he/she is still in the thin-atmosphere environment, unless an air supply is available.
If a character is exposed to a vacuum, normal suffocation rules apply, but Stamina difficulties are increased by1 level. Add at least 1 additional level of difficulty for characters particularly susceptible to the effects of cold (such as reptiles and other cold-blooded races).

Extreme Temperature
In severe heat or cold, a character must make a Moderate Stamina roll each hour, adding a -1 penalty each hour. Particularly appropriate or inappropriate clothing can provide a bonus or penalty of up to 2D. Each time the roll fails, the character’s condition deteriorates, as though he/she was wounded by an attack. If the temperature is extremely hot or cold, the time required between Stamina rolls can be reduced to as little as 10 minutes.
Cold-blooded races suffer worse penalties in cold weather. Immediately upon exposure to a cold environment, a member of a cold-blooded race suffers a –2D penalty to all attributes and skills. The time between Stamina rolls is reduced by half, and Stamina difficulty increases 1 level. Heavy garments are of little help to cold-blooded races, since they do not produce body heat.
Breathing superheated air, such as that directly over a volcano, can also cause injury. Each minute requires a Stamina roll, with difficulties beginning at Very Easy and increasing one level each time. Each time the roll fails, the character’s condition deteriorates, as though he/she was wounded by an attack.

Gravity
Low gravity gives characters a penalty of –1D to all Strength and Dexterity skills except Stamina and Climbing/Jumping. Lifting difficulties are halved, Jumping distances are doubled, and distances fallen are halved when calculating damage; the degree of increase/decrease varies with the amount of gravity. Some locations with low gravity will also have thin atmosphere (see below).
Zero-gravity environments reduce Dexterity rolls by –2D. The skills Running, Swimming, and Climbing/Jumping have little use (although Jumping applies to some movements). Strength is penalized by –2D when attempting to inflict damage when brawling or using a melee weapon, unless a character is able to immobilize his/her opponent with a Brawling roll, or anchor himself/herself for leverage.
High gravity penalizes Strength, Dexterity and all related skills for both attributes, up to –2D.

Underwater Environments
For a species that spend most of its life on dry land, movement underwater is burdensome. Skill rolls that are based on physical actions (except Swimming) are penalized by –2D. If a character has a species-based Swimming skill bonus, the usual –2D penalty is reduced or negated (by the amount of bonus). Swimming skill rolls are necessary for movement (instead of Running), but Dodge is still used for evading ranged attacks, with the penalty to physical actions.
Blasters have reduced effectiveness underwater, unless otherwise indicated in the weapon’s description (sonic blasters, for example, function equally well in and out of water). Blasters have an underwater range that is only 1/10 of normal. Blaster damage is reduced by 1D at medium range, and 2D at long range. Firearms generally will not function underwater, although other projectile weapons have an effective range that is 1/2 of normal. Explosive blasts have a reduced radius, 1/2 of normal, but also produce a shockwave that extends to 3x the normal range and produces a stun effect.
Electronic devices are generally not suited to underwater operation, unless designed by an aquatic race. A device may be waterproofed with a Moderate repair roll assuming the character has appropriate time and parts. Any necessary Repair attempts to the device have an increased difficulty of +1 level, and damage to a waterproofed device usually negates the waterproofing effect.

Original D6 Rules:
For a species that spend most of its life on dry land, movement underwater is burdensome. Skill rolls that are based on physical actions (except Swimming) are penalized by –2D. Swimming skill rolls are necessary for movement (instead of Running), and this skill also takes the place of Dodge.
Blasters have reduced effectiveness underwater, unless otherwise indicated in the weapon’s description. A typical blaster has a –2D penalty to damage while underwater, and increased difficulty of one level. Sonic blasters function equally well in and out of water.

(SSR p73)
Use Swimming for movement, and Swimming +1D for dodges
Blaster difficulty +1 level, -2D damage

(OE p39)
Use Swimming for movement and dodges
Blaster difficulty +1 level, -2D damage; sonic blasters (like those on waveskimmers) get full damage.

Rules Adapted From the D20 System (WotC2)
Blasters have an underwater range that is only 1/10 of normal. Blaster damage is reduced by 1D at medium range, and 2D at long range. Firearms generally will not function underwater, although other projectile weapons have an effective range that is 1/2 of normal. Explosive blasts have a reduced radius, 1/2 of normal, but also produce a shockwave that extends to 3x the normal range and produces a Stun effect.

Either these rules, or something like them should do what you need? I know the original question was regarding weather, cold weather considering the blizzard comment, however, I included all these as I think they can be summed up as general 'environment' rules.

T.C.

That's a nice rundown, an thanks for posting it.

Now from nearly every documentary about going up mountains (K2, everest etc) there were issues with water and causing Pulmonary (or cerebral) edema. What rules would you put for that?
Inviktus
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Mountains-Madness-Sourcebook-Roleplaying/dp/1568821387

Only somewhat useful in d6 rules, but fascinating reading in terms of unexpected effects of extreme cold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: