The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Battle Meditation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Battle Meditation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Battle Meditation Reply with quote

I was wondering how you guys handle this power if someone learns it. The rules behind the power state that the bonus and penalty to an attribute of your choosing is determined by granting 1D for ever 4D the jedi has in their best force ability, yet when I'm reading the example, they grant the jedi using the power's full force ability.
Quote:
On a successful roll to change the balance of
the battle in the Jedi’s allies’ favor (the power’s
second function), the Jedi’s enemies lose 1D for
every 4D she has in her best Force skill, in an
attribute determined by the Jedi (i.e., Strength,
Dexterity, et cetera) to a minimum of 1D, while
her allies receive a bonus of the same value to
an attribute of her choosing.

Quote:
Example: Nomi Sunrider and three of her
Jedi Knight companions are battling a dozen Sith
minion – followers of Freedon Nadd. Seeing the
tide of the engagement turning in the dark siders’
favor, Nomi decides to use her battle meditation
power to help her allies overcome their enemies.
Since she has a control of 1D+1, a sense 2D+1,
and an alter 1D, she may increase one attribute of
all of her companions (she chooses Dexterity in
this case) by 2D+1 (the highest of the three), and
decrease one attribute of that of her opponents
by 2D+1 (She chooses Strength), to a minimum
of 1D, until she drops the power. While Nomi
continues to maintain the power, her allies all
have a 2D+1 bonus to Dexterity (and all of its
skills) and all her enemies have a 2D+1 penalty
to Strength (and all of its skills).

Anyone have any light to shed? Much appreciated.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possibly be that I made a typo when typing it up for Gry's Force Power book, or is this straight out of the Tales of the Jedi Companion?
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must definately be a typo. Otherwise it would be so overpowered, its not playable anymore. Giving all your allies only +4d or more to dex or strength (very easily possible) is practically nigh-invulnerability, and thats without granting the same penalty to your enemies... Any more then that and every fight becomes ridiculous.
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing Raven noticed the mistake in there where it says the Jedi is supposed to choose a skill yet the example lists attributes being chosen.
Other then changing skill to attribute it is as it is in the book.

We've tried both the 1:4 ratio and the "full force ability"
It's just not worth doing "full force ability" at all, It's a munchkin wet dream.
The full force ability is extremely open to abuse and you can/will loose control very fast.
The example shows it quite clearly how even a low level Jedi can unbalance the game very fast with just a 2D+1 bonus/penalty to dexterity.

Luke Skywalker (if he had the ability) at the battle of Hoth could have given a 9D bonus to his allies and a 9D penalty to his enemies, with the 1:4 ratio it's only a 2D bonus/penalty.

Which option makes the game seriously unbalanced and one sided (not to mention literally no fun anymore) and which doesn't?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately that's directly out of Tales of the Jedi. 1:4 makes sense, but just when reading the example, it not matching the rules just confused the hell out of me. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed the typo, or if you guys just used the power description.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a question. The power's description says:

If attempting to turn enemies against each other: the Jedi’s highest skill roll is the difficulty number that the targets must beat to avoid the effect.

What skill do the targets roll? [I think Perception or Control]
Each of them or only the strongest? [I think yes]

Also Control, Sense and Alter DN are all the same. This is a bit stupid IMO. I think Control or Sense should depend on the proximity to the targets - remember KOTOR 1 final battle and Jedi Bastilla? She was meditating (another thing not mentioned in the power's requirement) from the space station, helping Darth Revan Twisted Evil to beat the Jedi.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this power ever clarified in any other supplement before the fan made force powers book? I checked both the dark empire and thrawn trilogy books and saw no battle meditation there either.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only supplement I recall seeing Battle Meditation in was Tales of the Jedi Companion. WEG40082.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been some confusion in our group when our Jedi has used this as well. Much of our confusion stems from the "Time to Use" and the "Activation Time".

After reading it over carefully, I think that the "Time to Use" simply means that the Jedi has to devote that much time to this (5 minutes). It appears to "activate" immediately upon the successful Control, Sense, and Alter rolls, it looks like. But then it stays active ("kept up") for that whole five minutes, meaning the Jedi likely can't do other things (lightsaber combat, healing, etc.) during that whole 5 minutes (at least not without serious penalties).

There also seems to be some rules that make it so that - if the Jedi is distracted - it's possible for the whole ability to fail, which probably makes sense, being as this is a very powerful mechanic.

Our Jedi used this in the group's first encounter/battle, routing a den of slavers with it.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't use Battle Meditation, it's never been clarified and the description is ridiculous. But then, the Jedi Companion sourcebook seems to be held to the vigorous editorial standards of a Kindergarten.

I will use Enhance Coordination from page 59 of the Thrawn trilogy source book. It's got a clear description and it's not game breaking. FYI, in the Thrawn Trilogy sourcebook the skills must be picked from Dex, Strength and MECHANICAL. The Jedi Sourcebook erroneously claims it to be dex, str and TECHNICAL.

Again, editorial standards of a kindergarten.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: