The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How exactly does the Force Lightning Power work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> How exactly does the Force Lightning Power work Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: How exactly does the Force Lightning Power work Reply with quote

Hi All,

Quick question: I was considering making an NPC bad guy that is an Imperial Luetenent that has access to Force Powers as a Dark Jedi. I already gave him Force Choke. I was wonder though, how does the Force Lightning power work? Does a character have to be very powerful in the Force and Dark Side in order to gain understanding of the power?

Any help would be appreciated.

Peace,

Matt
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Dark Jedi needs to match his Alter vs. the target's Control or Perception he needs an Alter that will allow him to roll higher. In addition, the damage done is 1D/2D of Alter*. So a 5D Alter only does 2D of damage.

So while a low powered Dark Jedi could know and use Force Lightning, without a good Alter it won't do any more damage then scuffing your feet on the carpet before touching someone.

* And yes I know that there is a write up somewhere that gives damage as 1D per D of Alter. It doesn't change the overall point, just the threshold for Force Lightning actually being harmful. FYI - I used the writeup in the site PDF of all Force powers which lists it as 1D/2D.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

So while a low powered Dark Jedi could know and use Force Lightning, without a good Alter it won't do any more damage then scuffing your feet on the carpet before touching someone.

I read that and got the mental image of Palpatine furiously scuffing his feet immediately prior to unleashing Lightning on Mace Windu... LOL

Thanks, I needed a giggle, it's been one of those days... Smile

T.C.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
I read that and got the mental image of Palpatine furiously scuffing his feet immediately prior to unleashing Lightning on Mace Windu... LOL

Thanks, I needed a giggle, it's been one of those days... Smile

T.C.
You are welcome. And of course the reason that Darth was unaffected long enough to toss Palps down the shaft of death was that those big boots of his have rubber soles. Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When planning baddies with FL (or other Cont/alter powers that cause damage) i look at PCs as averaging 3d soak, so 11.5 ave for soaking damage and wanting to put them into the wound category (to keep things challenging).. so i see what d value i need to place the dark sider at to maintain that WITH 2d in MAPS (one defense and 2d off for activating this power)..

So figuring 2d off, and needing to hit 7 over soak to wound, that gives 2d above the soak D total for a grand total of needing a min of 7d to be effective in any way. Less than that and the MAPS are eating enough dice up that the most you are going to do is break even with targets soak.
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the quality input. I figure he will need to have at least an 8D Alter in order to do any real damage. I figured that the NPC would use the Force Choke on the PCs and that it would make them stumble and I will give them a method to slip away from the Dark Jedi if they play it out right. If they fail tremendously I'll roleplay their capture and escape.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off does he have a reason to even capture them? if not, why is he capturing them?
Secondly, you would also need a reason for him to have such a high force power level.
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
First off does he have a reason to even capture them? if not, why is he capturing them?
Secondly, you would also need a reason for him to have such a high force power level.

1.) He is a dark Jedi and an Imperial Leutenent assigned to bring force users to Palpatine for the Emperor's purposes. As a proven assassin during the Great Jedi Purge he has gained some notoriety potentially making him a threat to the Emperor and soon to be disposed of...

2.) He has been trained by Vader and the Emperor to help in purging the hidden remnants of the Jedi Order as well as impose the Emperor's will on those harboring Rebels or secretly aiding the Rebel Alliance. This includes gangsters and corporations alike.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so that gives him a reason for having that high a stat, and capturing force users.. but not anyone else.
MattMartin23
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
OK, so that gives him a reason for having that high a stat, and capturing force users.. but not anyone else.

The plan by the Dark Jedi is to engage the Jedi in training and his bounty hunter associate this Force Choke and force the Jedi to join him or watch him crush his friends windpipe. He is not planning to capture the bounty hunter just use him as leverage to persuade the Jedi in training to come with him to Coruscant to go before the Emperor. We shall see how this goes in gameplay...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh go along or watch friend die... always a good one!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic, but how would a Jedi counter Force Choke / TK Kill if it is being used on someone other than the Jedi? Would the Jedi have to know the TK Kill power in order to be able to counter it?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think using a Force Push or doing something to break the person's concentration would be enough. Honestly a force user should not be able to Force Choke someone and fight with their lightsaber. You never see it in the movies. In the movies, it always looks like it takes at least steady concentration to choke someone. (Assuming of course you don't think that Luke used Force Choke in ROTJ, I don't.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Slightly off topic, but how would a Jedi counter Force Choke / TK Kill if it is being used on someone other than the Jedi? Would the Jedi have to know the TK Kill power in order to be able to counter it?

Unless it was being used on them directly, i don't see them being allowed to counter its use on others.. otherwise Obiwan could have 'been rescued' by Anakin (if he had it).. But in my home games i have allowed the victim himself in the same round AFTER it was applied (ie a free action but with all applicable maps still taken into account) to make an instinctive TK roll with a base 10+success over his control roll that the enemy had to try and counter it. IF he failed then he still takes the listed damage.. If succeeded, he takes damage at 1 cat less.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I would think using a Force Push or doing something to break the person's concentration would be enough. Honestly a force user should not be able to Force Choke someone and fight with their lightsaber. You never see it in the movies. In the movies, it always looks like it takes at least steady concentration to choke someone. (Assuming of course you don't think that Luke used Force Choke in ROTJ, I don't.)

I never said anything about doing Force Choke while fighting with a saber. This is strictly about whether or not a Jedi could potentially counter the effects of someone elses's Force Choke, reversing its effects. As for Luke using Force Choke in ROTJ, Im not going to argue that point, apart from saying that I think that is the obvious conclusion based on film evidence, and I have never heard an alternate explanation that makes sense. To avoid getting even further off topic than we already are, let's just leave it at that.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: