The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mines..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Mines.. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Mines.. Reply with quote

One of the rules i think was missed, was for mines. like anti personnel, etc. What are they and where??
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mines.. Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One of the rules i think was missed, was for mines. like anti personnel, etc. What are they and where??

This wasn't something that was covered in the books as it wasn't something that came up in the trilogy, which was the primary basis for the RPG. For this reason, Mines and such are left up to the GM to handle.

Most mines are any number of varrying explosive devices activated by pressure plate, tripwire, or in a Sci-Fi game it could be through bio-sensors or motion trackers. It's theoretically possible that the Star Wars era might have "Smart Mines" with a friend or foe database and identification system (like a mini, droid-brain or computer). These could be the classic burried mines, or repulsorlift mines, or what have you.
Some basic Ideas for mines are classic explosive (treat as a concussion grenade), Fragmentation (less damage, greater blast area), Incendiary (reduced damge, flamable), Tangler or Glop (Imobilizes targets for capture), Anti-Walker (probably damage on par with Thermal Detonators, but would need something walker sized to set it off).

Basically, anything that can be a grenade can reasonably be an effect used for a mine. Mines do not seem to be in great use in the Star Wars universe, so these should probably be devises used by planetary governments, Mercenaries, Alien Factions, and such. It seems just as easy for the forces in star wars to set up automated repeater emplacements, and deploy droids.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're used at all, they're likely to be used in the same manner that they were used in World War 1 and World War 2. Not so much to damage the opponent, but to deny them points of access.

Repulsorlift-Field Activated Mines are mentioned in a few places, IIRC, however. No stats found, but still.

And, as KR put it, any grenade can be used as a mine, with only a few mods. Either in the case, or just some ingenuity.

A frag grenade, some fishing line, duct tape, and some twigs/trees makes you a tripwire explosive.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second edition, revised and expanded, does have stats for an anti-vehicle mine. The write-up does suggest that there should somewhere be stats for anti-personnel in one of the other books.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more, asking about rules for using them/ Like do they get a 'to hit pool' or something else to go by for when they go off. And things of that nature.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the stats, it looks like you treat them like grenades except for the bit on deviation in terms of the way they do damage. There's a blast radius listed with the damage dice dropping as you get further out in the blast radius, so anyone or anything within the blast radius gets hit. You need the demolitions skill to set a mine. Try checking page 234 of the second edition revised and expanded to get an idea. I know you said else where it's one of the hardcovers you have.

Wanted Poster
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, been putting some thought into this in my spare time, doing some field tests and test rolls, and I think I came up with a relatively simple way of handling mines.
Quote:

Each minefield is covered by three, primary, defining attributes: Size, Density, and Concealment.
Size - The size of a minefield degfines how large an area the minefield will cover. This is best listed or defined by it's perimeter. For airborne or repulsor mines, this will be in the X, Y, and Z, where as for normal ground based mines, X and Y suffice. Inside this perimeter is where it becomes nescessary to determine the activation of a mine.
Density - The density of the minefield represents how densily packed the mines in the field are with a numerical value between 1-6. An average minefield should have a density of 3 or 4, a density 6 minefield should be very rare. When a character makes a movement action through a mined area, there is a chance of setting off a mine. This is represented by the roll of a D6. If the roll is under the density of the minefield, a mine has been tripped and may detonate. If the mines are pressure sensitive, allow the character a perception check to notice tripping the mine prior to taking his foot off, this can create a wonderfully tense dramatic moment. This roll asumes the characters are moving at a normal walking pace. Add 1 to the die if moving at a slower, more cautious pace, subtract 1 if running.
Concealment - This represents how well hidden the mines are, and how hard to spot they are. This is usually the same as the Hide skill or concealment skill of whomever placed the mines (about 2D or 3D for the average soldier). When entering a Minefield, anyone passing an opposed perception check against this values will notice that their are mines (or the likelihood of mines) and can search for a safe path.

Other things that you should note about your minefields are the nature of the mines, types of detonators, scale, etc...

Hope those help.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good, Kage. Thanks.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, no problem.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this one back to the fore front for our newer folk (not to dismiss the good intel kage ryu gave)..

How do you handle mines in game?
Are they a "set item with a set dodge value?
Do they get a to hit rating?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treat them as hazardous terrain. Set the basic terrain difficulty, then add a modifier based on the density of the minefield. If the character beats the terrain difficulty by less than the modifier, they hit a mine.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea C. Would they still get a 'dodge' roll to lessen any damage dealt?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think not.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, its not a very realistic solution, but it does work well in a heroic setting like Star Wars. Using that method, persons with higher dice levels in Move skills will be less likely to hit a mine, leaving the NPCs to do the mine detecting. In real life, it would generally be even odds of anyone hitting a mine, regardless of their skill level.

griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should there be a perception check to detect a mine field in general not individual mine. I.e. exploded mines by animals, other people, disturbed ground and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: