The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Vibroblade > Lightsaber
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Vibroblade > Lightsaber Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe...
Gamer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Where is your imagination, garhkal? Imagine what happens if a Jedi parties a cortosis bullet with his Lightsaber?

No need for imagination it's already been done.
Jedi Master Bolla Ropal was captured by Cade Bane when he used Cortosis rounds against him in the Clone Wars.

Cortosis may be brittle but doubtful it's as brittle as our sintered rounds, you hit them with a hammer and they turn to dust, if I shoot you with them and your going to have a real bad day providing you survived.

If by some insane chance it wasas brittle as you think -very unlikely- then we just make sintered rounds with it and still achieve the same result with no problems at all.

garhkal wrote:
Maybe...

No maybe about it.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamer wrote:

Cortosis may be brittle but doubtful it's as brittle as our sintered rounds, you hit them with a hammer and they turn to dust, if I shoot you with them and your going to have a real bad day providing you survived.
Actually, that sounds exactly like cortosis to me, and is what I was getting at.

Complete Starship Construction System
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my argument against cortosis bullets:

Quote:
Cortosis ore was a very rare, brittle, fibrous material whose conductive properties caused lightsabers to temporarily short out upon contact, although the wielder could solve this problem by turning the blade back on after a couple of seconds. This effect made cortosis a useful material for anti-lightsaber melee weapons, though with repeated strikes, a lightsaber could still cut through it. Cortosis, due to its heat and energy resistant properties, was also resistant to blaster fire.

Very rare, and very difficult to mine.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
... and why shotguns can kill people.
I thought it was the heavy wood stock applied to the skull that allowed shotguns to kill people. Laughing

Quote:
Cortosis ore was a very rare, brittle, fibrous material whose conductive properties caused lightsabers to temporarily short out upon contact, although the wielder could solve this problem by turning the blade back on after a couple of seconds. This effect made cortosis a useful material for anti-lightsaber melee weapons, though with repeated strikes, a lightsaber could still cut through it. Cortosis, due to its heat and energy resistant properties, was also resistant to blaster fire.

Not necessarily directed at you Raven, but how does a cloud of dust conduct lightsaber energy? I can see armor or a broadsword having enough mass, but a bullet? Shocked Shouldn't there be some minimum connected mass required - where minimum is likely to be more than 100g?
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Here is my argument against cortosis bullets:

Quote:

Very rare, and very difficult to mine.

Lightsabers are stil rare right? The prequels might give a different impression but could the argument be made that all is possible but just not probable? You can fill a core with acid or nerve agent or small bits of candy but how often would you need to make a silver bullet unless you are in the business of hunting werewolves?
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear.
That is a pro RRaven statement with caveat for special npc's or pc's who have a target in mind.
example is Boba Fett seems like the type that has a magazine of every possible outcome.

I also see him as the type to keep a sawed off 12 gauge with confetti rounds cause ya never know when her gonna have to bluff at a birthday party.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downstrike wrote:
...example is Boba Fett seems like the type that has a magazine of every possible outcome.

I also see him as the type to keep a sawed off 12 gauge with confetti rounds cause ya never know when her gonna have to bluff at a birthday party.

Yeah, but what he really needed was armor that would taste bad to a sarlacc. Laughing
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

Yeah, but what he really needed was armor that would taste bad to a sarlacc. Laughing
Maybe he had a protective coating, but it got burnt off when Han triggered his jetpack...

Complete Starship Construction System
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be mean! Boba's my hero...no matter how many orifices he has to crawl thru Embarassed
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

Not necessarily directed at you Raven, but how does a cloud of dust conduct lightsaber energy? I can see armor or a broadsword having enough mass, but a bullet? Shocked Shouldn't there be some minimum connected mass required - where minimum is likely to be more than 100g?

Now that i can see.. A min Amt of cortis required.. too small for a bullet's worth to be useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: