The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Enhance attrib on Str? Give DSP or not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Enhance attrib on Str? Give DSP or not? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Enhance attrib on Str? Give DSP or not? Reply with quote

OK. So the book says that using the force directly for attacking gives DSPs. Now would using the Enhance attribute force power on your Str so your punches do more damage be a 'direct attack' to where the DSP comes in or not?
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: For my game... Reply with quote

The way I usually rule on that comes from the line in the Jedi code where it talks about using the force to defend others. If you're using the power as a defense of others, rather than just trying to save your own skin, then no you won't get a DSP. On the other hand if you start some business in a bar and are using it to KO someone then yes, you should get one for knowing better.

I feel the same way about using TK like that, TK Push is just a manipulation of the power, rather than a separate power unto itself.

Keith
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Enhance attrib on Str? Give DSP or not? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
OK. So the book says that using the force directly for attacking gives DSPs. Now would using the Enhance attribute force power on your Str so your punches do more damage be a 'direct attack' to where the DSP comes in or not?
I wouldn't give a DSP for it. You don't get one for LSC, and with punches, you're not even doing lethal damage.

Complete Starship Construction System
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that isn't a "direct enough" influence on damage for it to be considered Dark Side, though that's just a general first impression. I'll come up with a post hoc rationalization for it later if you want. Smile
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Enhance attrib on Str? Give DSP or not? Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
...and with punches, you're not even doing lethal damage.
I think they are lethal in 2E/2E R&E under the RAW.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to see a rule book where brawl was NOT lethal.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Enhance attrib on Str? Give DSP or not? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Well, in that case Increase Dex used to increase the chance of hitting would result in a DSP too..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding DEX doesn't increase Brawling attack, only parry. So clearly no DSP there.

And for melee combat adding DEX is perhaps not as far down the slippery slope as adding to STR. Though both DEX and STR adds aren't much different than LSC really. And it's kind of hard to play a warrior monk type of character if you can't ever use any Powers to attack anyone or to assist in attacking anyone.

I think that is the dividing line the WEG designers had in mind.

Use the Force to attack, i.e. use an offensive Force power = DSP.

Use the Force to enhance an otherwise mundane attack i.e. swing a lightsaber = NO DSP.
mcbobbo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

I think that is the dividing line the WEG designers had in mind.

Use the Force to attack, i.e. use an offensive Force power = DSP.

Use the Force to enhance an otherwise mundane attack i.e. swing a lightsaber = NO DSP.

You're definitely reading it right. But I sometimes think WEG took it a bit too far. Do you suppose Luke got a DSP for the FP he used after he switched off his targeting computer?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcbobbo wrote:
You're definitely reading it right. But I sometimes think WEG took it a bit too far. Do you suppose Luke got a DSP for the FP he used after he switched off his targeting computer?
Following my presumed logic for the WEG designers. Luke is using the Force to increase his concentration (using the Force power) and flowing with the Force to make the best shot he can make (using a FP). This increases his mundane skill of starship gunnery, but is not a direct use of the Force for attack. Also he is trying to stop the Death Star so that it (a) does not destroy the Rebel Base, thus ending the Rebellion prematurely and thereby dooming the galaxy to even more years of brutal Imperial oppression and (b) does not go on to destroy more planets like Alderaan. So in a sense, he using the Force for defense and not for a pre-emptive attack. So on both accounts, no DSP. That is, I believe the logic.

And there is one additional (not so logical) reason for no DSP. The music that is playing on the soundtrack is clearly heroic and triumphant music, not falling or failure music. Very Happy
mcbobbo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
And there is one additional (not so logical) reason for no DSP. The music that is playing on the soundtrack is clearly heroic and triumphant music, not falling or failure music. Very Happy

Okay, that's pure win right there. Well played.

Smile
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the situation the OP describes is not inherantly evil, and therefor does not warrant a DSP.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a conscious physics for the Force as if it actually existed, rather than a philosophical judgement of a belief system, which will always vary.

let's play science with it: let's assume a then b.

let's assume the Force is a real thing, like an EM field. We'll make it analoguous to an EM field.
Some EM passes a gravitational body, gets bent.
A Jedi notices and mentions the rule, O ye all do not pass the body of the moon without calculating lensing as per relativistic means or else nobody knows where ye be going to get back to the source.

Now if someone turns around, fails to understand the Rule and argues it's something a little different, it's still not going to change the rule because it works by a physical mechanic. If you use Newtonian math you'll wind up with the wrong values even if you thought that's what it said to do.

Let's assume the Force is just a philosophy, people create the results by magic.
Well if you misinterpret a fundamental you still get the same result because the intention was the same. It all comes down to moral issues and philosophy, which vary to the same ends. Following what you sincerely believe is the Rule will always get the desired results so long as general consensus agrees with you.

So you need a mechanic you use for how the Force works imho, and it can't be moral, it has to be a physical mechanic, like QM or chemistry.

The one I'm using is the Force analoguous to a Jungian lifeforce, a collective of individual parts connected by whatever fictional neurology of invisible circuits.
Dark side powers rely on anger, fear, hatred and you get DSP using the Force for attack, it should only be used for knowledge and defence.

This to me forms the reason for inventing lightsabres for combat, a Jedi trait. You can use the Force to enhance combat ability via proxy safely.
It is when you "put your Force directly into another being for harm or fear" that you get DSP, I think of it as a kind of "spiritual rape" where you're putting your life essence directly into another person's body against their will.

Thus extrapolating the Force isn't moral but mechanical. Being moral is what the Jedi do to use it safely.

Brings up the issue of "how can Yoda use telekinesis at Palpy without DSP and Palpy uses Force Lightning for DSP"

My rule is telekinetic use if carefully governed by a skilled Jedi, don't necessarily bodily invade the other party. At the same time they do not crush or pummel him unduly either. It is more like cradling the personal space around him and tossing that.

Palpy is connecting directly with another being to form Force Lightning, being extremely invasive bodily (in terms of QM) against the will of a sentient. The circuitry created is through hatred and self loathing and homicidal desires and did you know that in criminology studies, all the major serial killers left behind semen at the scenes. Icky I know but just relating the level of that kind of biological violence we're dealing with, when you're talking about a genuine biblical kind of sociopath.

I don't think Yoda would even advise Jedi to use telekinesis during combat, he would tell them to use enhance attribute, or better still a lightsabre.
Use a proxy to use the Force in combat. Never use the Force (directly) for attack.

All coming down to a mechanical system, not so much morality.
The only alternative is that the Force doesn't exist in game. It is a magic system, Force users are deities and they don't know they're doing it. That's the only way it comes down to moral arguments or philosophical rulesets and the problem with that is if Palpy really believes he's right, he doesn't get DSP for anything.
Downstrike
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, getting DPed
Evil
killing helpless innocent
causing unnecessary, gratuitous injury
killing except in self defense
being mad while using the force

Unheroic
lies and deception for personal gain
avoiding non heroic danger
non heroics saving of self
using FP for weath/ personal gain

Heroic
exposure to danger for some good
sacrifice to help others
big risk to fight the empire and other jerks
fighting evil

Heroic with Drama
doing something heroic that moves the story along

thats pg 84-84 of revised 2ed [with my own twist]

So wait? Why is someone getting punched in the face? Do they have it coming? Is the character being a jerk?

Always more questions....Cheers
DS
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you see here's the thing with the morality rating system.

What if they do have it coming, but when I punch them in the face I like it, I mean really get off on it.

DSP?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: