The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Baudo Class Yacht - Deckplan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Baudo Class Yacht - Deckplan Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, Frank Bonura? Or the Colonial Chrome guy? One of those two would be my best guess.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be Chrome, I've gone to his wall of shame, and he really is quite mean to people.
jmanski

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a best guess to me.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Frank Bonura, of the Star Wars deck plans Alliance. Apparently there was a schism of some kind between the two groups (I don't know any of the details), and they no longer work together, to the point of not even mentioning the others' names.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
My guess would be Chrome, I've gone to his wall of shame, and he really is quite mean to people.

Hint: Look at my signature... Wink

I share your fate... Laughing
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant that I've read his wall of shame. It was precisely that which kept me from placing a request with him.

Quote:
That would be Frank Bonura, of the Star Wars deck plans Alliance. Apparently there was a schism of some kind between the two groups (I don't know any of the details), and they no longer work together, to the point of not even mentioning the others' names.

Ah, I don't keep up with any other forums than these. Sorry to see that happen. Not all forums are as civil as this one has become.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

Which might be more impressive if his deckplans showed more quality.

jmanski

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the mystery is solved!

Too bad they just can't get along.
remo moxey
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

That seems like a lifetime ago. From what I can remember it can down to WotC getting the license. Some thought that since WEG pretty much wrote the EU (all writers at that time received a box of WEG materials when they signed on to write Star Wars novels) that WEG was the one and only true source material. Others thought that some of the WotC material was good too......schism created.

Artist types are really protective of their works.
remo moxey
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:

Which might be more impressive if his deckplans showed more quality.

The thing I don't get about Chrome is his continual insistence that the people who actually come up with the ships are wrong. The size is wrong, the manufacturer is wrong, etc.

Then again....artist types.
Ultramyth
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been making a 3D model of the Baudo for a while, and it actually has a decent amount of internal space, once you get into the 3d version.

My take on the domes are that they are actually luxury cabins, with the external shell being a holographic projection unit so that the occupant sees space beyond, but is still protected by an armoured outer shell.

I have found tons of space up the back, and there is certainly room for two decks in the engine room.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but IMO, there is too much visual evidence against that being a habitable space, particularly the low profile intake vents on the leading edge of both bulges. That design is consistent with other SW ships with sublight drive designs that feature intakes. The ducting required to connect the intakes to the drive while routing around a luxury cabin would be overly complicated, and would take up space on a ship that is already running low on it.

And as far as luxury cabins in general are concerned, I just don't see them fitting with the Baudo's design. The Baudo is, in essence, a speed boat in space, designed for high speed at the expense of living space. IMO, small but luxurious cabins grouped around a small lounge and galley space are more appropriate to the ship's design. Remember, just because a ship is called a yacht does not mean that it automatically have large staterooms with expansive viewports (or their equivalent).

BTW, welcome to the Pit.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm picturing a modern sailing boat; the crew quarters are nice but small.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually helped to build custom yachts, and I'd say that just because quarters may be small, doesn't mean they must not be luxurios. The Baudo is fast, but it isn't a stripped down racer, like a cigar boat or anything. It is still a luxury yacht.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Baudo is still a luxury vessel, and that the accommodations should reflect that. Unfortunately, most deckplan designers tend to associate luxury with square footage in the cabins, which becomes an issue when floor planning a ship like the Baudo, which doesnt have a lot of room to work with in the first place. A deck plan for the Baudo needs to keep a variety of factors in mind:

Engines - remember that the stock version of this ship can carry 35 metric tons of cargo and 8 passengers while maintaining the speed and maneuverability of a TIE fighter, plus have shields and a hyperdrive on top of that. The Baudo's engines need to be correspondingly large and take up a sizable chunk of the available space.

Cargo Capacity - Bone stock, this ship can carry 35 metric tons of cargo, so there needs to be room set aside for that cargo, and a lot of it.

Passenger Quarters - Yes, the quarters should be luxuriously appointed. No, this does not equal huge rooms for two, each with their own bath and shower. Never forget that space on a starship is always at a premium, and luxury can be achieved in many other ways that don't involve taking up a lot of room.

Crew Quarters - Yes, there is only one, but he still needs his own bunk and personal space.

Restrooms - There is not enough room on this ship to have a full bathroom in each room. I would suggest something more along the lines of a fresher stall that provides the same functions as a toilet, sink and shower all in one unit little larger than a shower stall.

Just some thoughts to consider.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: