The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Got a player wanting to start with a rather expensive ship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Got a player wanting to start with a rather expensive ship. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Got a player wanting to start with a rather expensive ship. Reply with quote

Okay so we're starting up a new group for weekend games this upcoming weekend.

One of our players has stated that he wants to be a smuggler turned passenger pilot. Okay cool, BUT the problem is the ship he would like.

A Baudo-Class Star Yacht -
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Baudo-class_star_yacht

Used of course, but that still leaves a 250K debt.

Now he's stated that he'd be more than willing for changes to be made to the ship to lower the cost that may affect performance.

Our issue is that we try not to do that with starting ships as it opens the whole can of worms - "Well if the ship has had things replaced, can I have it start with a couple other modifications?"

We really like the characters back story - and whats more is that he's agreed for the ships loan to be from the notable bounty hunter Bossk himself. With the terms that the ship be paid off within one standard galactic cycle or be forfeit and subject to retrieval (violent if necessary).
Subject to the agreement he will also transport any cargo that Bossk asks of him without question, to any part of the galaxy, at any time. An acceptable sum of the loan will be deducted should this be asked of him and all costs for refueling and refitting will be paid prior to departure.

What are some thoughts from fellow GM's on matters such as this?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you've got the right idea. It doesn't have a very impressive cargo capacity, so the money he'll make in trading won't pay off the ship. He's going to have to find work doing a bit more risky contracts. Also, the ship has some pretty hefty strings attached. He'll have to break off his normal money making schemes to go help Bossk at his beck and call. This leaves you wide open for having the player having to make difficult choices in terms of finishing a job, and helping Bossk. Also, what happens when Bossk wants him to go to the other end of the galaxy while he already has merchandise on the ship? What if Bossk's goals are completely contrary to the objectives of his current job.

Ooooh, this is rich.
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ship is expensive more due to being a "luxury" ship than anything that will cause you any real balance issues.

Sounds like it will add some good story to the campaign, so I don't see a problem with it. I wouldn't hesitate to give it some quirks picked up from past damage and such though. I find such things often give the ship more character and can create even more stories.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at first glance, the 250,000 credit price tag attached to the ship seems like it would be a very bad idea, however let me draw your attention to some of the flaws in it.

Quote:
Craft: Baudo-class
Star Yacht
Affiliation: General
Era: Rise of the Empire
Source: Pirates &
Privateers (pages 71-72)
Type: Space yacht
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 32 meters
Skill: Space transports: Baudo yacht
Crew: 1
Crew Skill: Varies widely
Passengers: 8
Cargo Capacity: 35 metric tons
Consumables: 1 month

Cost: 400,000 (new), 250,000 (used)
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x7
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D
Space: 10
Atmosphere: 415; 1,200 kmh
Hull: 2D
Shields: 1D

Sensors:
Passive: 10/0D
Scan: 25/1D
Search: 40/2D
Focus: 2/3D
Weapons:
Laser Cannon
Fire Arc: Turret
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1.2/2.5 km
Damage: 2D

Cargo Capacity: 35 metric tons
Consumables: 1 month
: It has no hauling capacity for cargo, and refueling and restocking the ship may well cost a great deal to keep him in the air.

Hull: 2D
Shields: 1D
2D hull and 1D shields shows that this craft is made out of the equivalent of space paper. It won't be able to stand up in a fight, the turret also has: Damage: 2D meaning that it doesn't even function like a glass cannon.

Space: 10 Honestly, the only redeeming quality about this ship is the sub-light drive. It's relatively quick, and starts out with some maneuverability. I also like the aesthetics of the ship's shape, which is probably why the player chose the ship in the first place.

A few ideas for lowering the cost of purchasing this ship:

First off, I would suggest having the ship's exterior and interior in serious disarray. He got this ship for a bargain, but it still needs some cleaning up before it'll really be able to attract any high end clientele. -50,000 credits to value (The equivalent of Extreme Luxury Upgrade from Starships of the Galaxy)
-This could also be noted with a -1 or -2 to the ship's hull rating from rust damage or perhaps existing battle damage. (Light Damage rating: 15% repair cost: -37,500)

Second: The ship's hyperdrive isn't functioning at peak capacity, instead of x2, it is functioning at x3 or x4. A proper repair roll with parts cost 15% of the ship's used value: -37,500

Third: You could also have the ship suffering from lost movement: 3 lost space equates to 20% of ship's cost to repair: -50,000

If you throw all of these together, it comes to 175,000 in total deductions giving a total cost for the ship at 75,000 instead of 250,000 credits.

The biggest drawback is story: the ship stands out & will likely be the target of every pirate, hijacker, and thief on almost any planet they land on.

If it were me, I would approach my player with the flaws in the ship's stats, let him know that he's got 175,000 credits in repairs that will need to be made just to bring the thing up to stock stats, then remind him that he can set a standard freighter up with luxury accommodations to draw in higher class clients for charter.

If the character is dead set on getting the ship, I would give it some firefly type quirks, where parts are damaged and needing to be replaced on a fairly regular basis for the ship to even run. 1 on the wild die for any rolls made on board result in some sort of mishap from Tramp Freighters.

Also, keep in mind that the payment plans to loan sharks equate to 300% paid, meaning if he did borrow 250,000 credits, he would end up paying back 750,000. Who has the kind of rep to borrow that kind of money in the first place?

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck with your player, some times they can be quite stubborn.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the comments so far.

I suppose our thoughts on not allowing their to be changes to the base ship is a bit misplaced, even if we have had it happen before.

I can see us allowing the ship to be in disarray, but my roommate would rather not. I'll have to see if I can talk him down a bit.

I like the idea that the yacht is all but trashed and would be a work in progress to repair while trying to maintain payments to Bossk.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Baudo was first introduced in GG6: Tramp Freighters, with a modified version trading passenger space for cargo capacity (cargo capacity on the Gilded Lily is up to 75 tons, with passenger capacity of 4 instead of 8). Per the modification rules, one passenger slot is equal to 10 metric tons of cargo space. You can address the restocking issue (one month of consumables) by including the solid fuel converter (which halves restocking fees), and help offset the ship's fragility by adding stronger shield generators. Then maybe upgrade the laser cannon to something a bit more robust. Another weapons mod that I like for the Baudo is adding the Comar f-9 Heavy Ion Cannon to cover the rear fire arc (4D FC / 4D Damage, and with a Space of 10, anything chasing the Baudo is going to be pretty wary about getting too close). The advantage of the ion cannon (as described in Pirates and Privateers) is that it is much easier for a ship to get the Imperial permits for the installation of an ion cannon, since it is more easily classified as a purely defensive weapon.

IMO, a ship this fast and fragile would be best suited to filling a niche market, specifically, a fast courier. Upgrade the hyperdrive to x1 or better, and have the smuggler character specialize in rapid delivery. This can be smuggling or blockade running, but can also be for legitimate purposes like express mail delivery and the like. The modifications I've described will cut into the ship's cargo capacity, but only by 10-15 tons.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the Deckplans Alliance used to have the Baudo as one of their projects here.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Got a player wanting to start with a rather expensive sh Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
One of our players has stated that he wants to be a smuggler turned passenger pilot. Okay cool, BUT the problem is the ship he would like.

Really it only needs to leave him with that large a debt if you want it to. I doubt that Bossk actually bought it. Laughing

I think it would be nearly impossible to pay off that large a debt in 1 year. That is a profit (not revenue) of 250K credits or nearly 700 credits of profit per day. Yikes.

The speed of 10 always seemed too high to me. Outrunning X-wings just seems excessive. A speed of 8 seems far more reasonable for a fast, racing yacht.

And as others pointed out, the ship is not without flaws. But I bet some PCs could really get used to features like the luxury fresher units, in room massage beds, the steam and press clothes closet, and the hot tub with the circular star viewing port in the ceiling (can be tuned to a mirror finish if the view outside it not sufficiently enchanting). 8)
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember that Bossk ISN'T a crime lord. He's not going to work things the same as a crime lord. He's a bounty hunter. He wants money, not a headache of continually dealing with a person who's not paying him back. He also doesn't have "heavies" to go an enforce his payment schedule. He wants payment, he'd have to do that himself. And since he's a bounty hunter, he's not adverse to doing something like that, but he's probably got better, more productive ways of earning funs without dealing with an ongoing loan.

My suggestion would be this: Bossk has this old, beaten up Baudo class ship he wants to get rid of. The suggestions that Red Ravenstar made are actually pretty good at getting the ship's purchase price down to a reasonable limit.

So Bossk says he'll sell that to the PC if the PC can get the funds. Either have the PC get a loan from some two-bit loan shark and then pay off Bossk for it, or have the PC only come up with part of the payment (25K or so) and Bossk decides he'll take a chance on the PC (maybe have the PC make a persuasion check or something) and he sets them up on a payment plan. He probably wouldn't charge outlandish loan-shark rates, as he's not a loan shark (and probably hates those guys as well). So he'd give the PC a set amount of time to pay it back, with the caveat of doing a "special run" for him every now and then when he wants it done (likely it would be transporting some captured bounty and delivering it for Bossk to some authorities...something that might be a bit of an interesting challenge if they choose to be smugglers).

The craft isn't at all too powerful. It's fast, which is great. If you use all of the deductions mentioned, it's not even as fast as it could be. If you don't use them all, then they at least have a fast craft, albiet a fragile craft. So combat wouldn't be their main focus. They'd have to rely on the ship's speed and maneuverability to get them out of jams. Plus, it gives them something that they can say is THEIRS to do with as they please. They care for it and make it better, it can become a substantially better craft. They treat it like a junk heap, it'll fall apart on them and either kill them or leave them without a ship and a debt to either Bossk (a very dangerous prospect) or some two-bit loan shark (a somewhat dangerous prospect).

All in all, I'd allow it with those conditions for beneficial role playing growth.

Just remember to give them enough "quick, relatively simple" runs of things to make their payments, because if they can't it could be a very short adventure with that craft and they'd never have a chance to fix it up like how they'd want to.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have chosen my words better I guess, and been more careful about using the term payments and loan.

Bossk isn't demanding payments.

Bossk owns this ship - and the player is buying it off him.

The agreement is that he must do runs for Bossk when he demands them, until the character can put together the funds. Each time he does a run Bossk will pay for all the regular fees himself and reduce what he owes on the ship as he sees appropriate.

If the character cannot pay him the sum within a year - The character forfeits ownership of the vessel and possibly his life to Bossk.

Its actually more a wager than anything. One that bossk can play the odds on by involving himself in - if he chooses to.

We're still talking about allowing the ship to be reduced, It'll take some convincing I think. But I do think it appropriate.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a player wanting to start with a rather expensive sh Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
Okay so we're starting up a new group for weekend games this upcoming weekend.

Now he's stated that he'd be more than willing for changes to be made to the ship to lower the cost that may affect performance.

Our issue is that we try not to do that with starting ships as it opens the whole can of worms - "Well if the ship has had things replaced, can I have it start with a couple other modifications?"

We really like the characters back story - and whats more is that he's agreed for the ships loan to be from the notable bounty hunter Bossk himself. With the terms that the ship be paid off within one standard galactic cycle or be forfeit and subject to retrieval (violent if necessary).
Subject to the agreement he will also transport any cargo that Bossk asks of him without question, to any part of the galaxy, at any time. An acceptable sum of the loan will be deducted should this be asked of him and all costs for refueling and refitting will be paid prior to departure.

What are some thoughts from fellow GM's on matters such as this?

I actually had a former noble turned smuggler pilot his familys Baudo freighter. The only remarkable about the Baudo is its speed. I assumed that a space 8 (is it?) engine need a lot of maintainence and that the character (prior to the story taking place) had to sell his engines and replace them with cheaper (and slower ones). Another part of the value of the ship is that its a custom built luxury yacht, with luxury interior (I think one fan-made deck-plan evan has a pool). All that custom built exclusive material interior also had to go to keep the noble turned smuggler going. In the end he ended up with a cool looking but rather average ship... Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only issue is that the low hull/shields makes for a quick death of all aboard if it does get into combat. Is the owner willing to run that risk?>
jmanski

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd lower the space to 7 or 8 and go with it. Like Cheshire said, lots of good ways to keep the ship busy.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though if we trim the ship on the stat, then we're running into the problem that it's flimsy, low firepower, is expensive, and isn't as fast as it could be. I would let them have the speed. I imagine that an Indy 500 type car is much faster than a military grade Hummer. I just wouldn't take the Indy car into combat... or on the freeway... or even on a road where there are a lot of pot holes. Smile
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Though if we trim the ship on the stat, then we're running into the problem that it's flimsy, low firepower, is expensive, and isn't as fast as it could be. I would let them have the speed. I imagine that an Indy 500 type car is much faster than a military grade Hummer. I just wouldn't take the Indy car into combat... or on the freeway... or even on a road where there are a lot of pot holes. Smile
Fair point.

It's hard to know what type of real world vehicles to compare SW small transports and starfighters to. Having a Ferrari that can't be caught by a regular police car seems fine in the real world. But somehow having a space yacht that can't be caught by a top of the line starfighter seems off to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: