The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fighting with two lightsabers/two bladed lightsabers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Fighting with two lightsabers/two bladed lightsabers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Fighting with two lightsabers/two bladed lightsabers Reply with quote

I looked around a bit but don't see much on this concept. How do you guys run your games where a force user fights with either two lightsabers or a two bladed lightsaber? What have you done to make it different from using one lightsaber?

I've thought about it, and can't find any way that it would be different from just holding one single bladed lightsaber.

EDIT: For that matter, what about using two blasters? Would you just increase the rate of fire and the difficulty?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the simplist rules i have seen is add a further -1d penalty for using the off hand at the same time.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One of the simplist rules i have seen is add a further -1d penalty for using the off hand at the same time.
Which actually makes it worse to use two weapons than only one. I suspect that's not the rule that scott2978 was looking for. Wink

Given the way MAPs work, without some house rule there isn't any advantage to two weapons. There are several threads here detailing how various folks handle multiple weapons. See here.

One of the simplest is to allow two attacks (one from each hand) at no MAP, then figure maps more or less normally from there. So firing 2 shots from each gun would give the first two shots at 0 MAPs as one initial action.

Second shots would be at a combined MAP. So the third shot is -2D, the fourth shot is -3D etc.

This gives a significant advantage for the first (paired) actions but is the same as firing one handed thereafter.

For lightsabers, similarly the first action (whether an attack or parry) for either hand would occur -0D MAPs, but the third action would be -2D, the fourth action -3D, etc.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a second weapon basically negating one multiple action die penalty. I think a perfect balance to that (or else why not always use two?) is to increase the difficulty by +1 level. So the standard "difficult" for a lightsaber becomes "very difficult".

Maybe my search skills are poor, but I couldn't find any threads about fighting with two lightsabers. Would you mind posting links for me if it's not too much trouble?
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word "here" is linked two posts up.

My preference for the d6 system has always been simplicity. Attacking with two hands is the same as attacking twice with one hand.
Yinan
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most simple solution i can come up with:
Person wielding 2 weapons makes 1 attack roll and can hit with that up to 2 targets, but the DC check is increased by 10 (also applies if opponent tries to dodge).

So you can either try hitting 1 person 2 times with one attack (the whole thing counts as 1 action), or 2 persons with one attack. You need, effectively, +3D to hit as good as if you only used one weapon (average of 1D is 3.5, so +3D would be 10.5, compensating the +10 penalty). Its difficult to pull off and definitely not something everyone can do, but if it works its pretty good...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Which actually makes it worse to use two weapons than only one. I suspect that's not the rule that scott2978 was looking for. Wink

It wasn't supposed to.. Every game system i know of its harder to use 2 weapons at the same time.
Lancil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how about this?
OK, the penalty for two-weapon fighting should remain the same, 2 attacks in one round = -1d map.

The benefit should come in the initiative of the round.

The way initiative works, I believe, is highest to lowest perception. Declare number of actions to be performed. Apply map's. Perform actions one at a time round robin until the round is over. Repeat until the combat is over.

In two-weapon fighting instead of only performing one of your multiple actions at a time in the round you can make two.

EX: A group of 5 players and a group of gm “bad guys”. Initiative order is p1, p4, gm, p2, p5, p3. P4 declares 2 shots, one with a pistol in each hand (two-weapon fighting). P1 acts first, p4 makes both of his shots at -1 map (instead of just one of them and waiting for the rest of the players and the gm to go first.)

Does this make any sence?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've playtested a couple different ways of doing this, and if you try sticking with WEG's general pattern of moving around difficulties, creating specializations and such, it always runs into problems. If you create a separate specialization necessary to get a combat bonus, it winds up being more expensive in the end than just upping your base skill. You can gain experience quickly with the two weapons, but in the end, you probably are going to bump up the base skill too, since you may not always have both weapons.

Moving the difficulty only does a little in the short term. The character is eventually going to get good enough to wield it, and then it's just kind of a freebee.

I've thought of (but not playtested) a way to do this, but I have a feeling that people are not going to like it. I think there should be a way of representing a certain amount of training with multiple weapons including time and CP cost that eventually results in an acceptable bonus. I think that the person should train with the multiple weapons for at least a month. After the training time they can earn a special ability to allows them to take a second action with their off hand with only a -2 pip MAP, instead of the normal -1D. This could be done at a cost of 10 CPs. After another month (and perhaps another 10 or 15 CP cost), I think they should be awarded the opportunity to advance that special ability to having the first two actions with those weapons (whether defensive or offensive) with no MAP. That is to say, they could attack and parry with their full skill value. If they were to take a third action (whether it be with the weapons or another skill usage) all actions take a -1D MAP.
Kaloth Varsk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things I always liked about the d6 system for Star Wars was the simplicity. It kept things moving fast, and minimized min/maxing of characters. Pretty much every suggestion I've seen here does the opposite of those two things.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about +1D to attack, -1D to defense and/or damage?

Using a sword one-handed gives you a massive decrease in leverage, so when you need strength as opposed to speed, you're at a disadvantage.

Complete Starship Construction System
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:

It wasn't supposed to.. Every game system i know of its harder to use 2 weapons at the same time.

In 'reality' there is a distinct advantage to using two weapons, but it requires quite a bit of training. To put it simply, you end up lacking in defence, but its unmatched for countering.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a while back, someone proposed an Advanced skill for dual wielding.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott2978 wrote:
Maybe my search skills are poor, but I couldn't find any threads about fighting with two lightsabers. Would you mind posting links for me if it's not too much trouble?
My quick search turned up the link to 2-gun use that I posted - its the bolded or darker bluish color. As you can see from the other responses, this is something that generates some controversy on how it should best be handled.

Lancil wrote:
So how about this?
OK, the penalty for two-weapon fighting should remain the same, 2 attacks in one round = -1d map.
Embarassed That's actually the rule I was trying (not quite successfully) to recall.

In our campaign we mostly treat one weapon the same as two weapons - just apply the MAPs per normal. My co-GM wanted to introduce a Jar'kai style two lightsaber skill. We made it an Advanced skill, which required special training.* The Advanced skill allowed the user to add the dice in the advanced skill to his attack or parry - I think you divided the dice between the attack and the parry (I can't recall). Mostly it seemed to be useful for parrying multiple blaster bolts and for gaining an attack advantage against some opponents - especially opponents who are unfamiliar with 2-saber fighting.

* This was only added as part of the build up to the epic conclusion of our campaign so it didn't get much use outside of the climactic lightsaber battle. So we never playtested it for balance or anything. The special training was from a combination of studying a Jedi Holocron made by an old Jedi swordmaster (with a prissy/arrogant semi-obnoxious personality) and training with an exile from the Tapani Sector who was familiar with two saber fighting.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try form Jar'Kai Smile
http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=STAR_WARS_RPG_%E2%80%93_Lightsaberforms

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: