The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

A odd question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> A odd question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adonrac
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: A odd question Reply with quote

Hi all of you guys. I'm starting a new adventure with d6(being sick of the d20 crap mechanics) and in behalf of one of my players i'v got a question.

Is it possible to play a gray character(eg gray jedi) in terms he wants a mechanic who is force sensitive with a rude understanding of the force "control 1D" what if he want to play an double crossing/evil character (which suists me in every way).

What about the DSP and there gain what if he ultimatively want to be a Dark Jedi.

And the least where can i find an answer for that.(i recon that in the Galladinums Fantastic technology is a reference on page 6 that's reffer to the Dark side CHaracters on page 56 in some book called the "Second Edition" (of what we use the revised second edition rulebook and there is nothing there) Can you help me on that?

Sorry for bad english Sad been a little rusty
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for starters, welcome to the Pit.

As for your question, that's really a touchy subject around here. Per the RAW, your proposed character wouldn't last long before becoming an NPC, as the restrictions placed on Force Sensitive PCs are pretty restrictive.

EDIT: Of course, at 1D Control, the character would be hard pressed to use the Force successfully without resorting to CPs / FPs.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were running a game and the player wanted to play a bad guy or "grey" character (assuming I was keen on the idea), then hey, screw the rules! Change 'em, toss 'em, make new ones up! Get rid of the rule that makes PCs lose control of their character if they go over to the Dark Side.

However, you would need to come up with new rules for "Calling Upon the Dark Side", as outlined on p. 86 of the Second Edition, Revised & Expanded rulebook. This section outlines how a character can call on the Dark Side to receive a Force Point, which must be used immediately. Lightsiders can't call on the Light Side of the Force in this manner. The way that WEG balanced this ability to call on the Dark Side was by saying that you get a Dark Side Point every time you attempt this (which brings the character closer to being lost the Dark Side and turning into an NPC). If you say (as I have suggested above) that characters do not turn into NPCs when they go over to the Dark Side, then there is no reason to not call on the Dark Side all the time. You might want to come up with some other way of enforcing balance. Balance can come in the way of a game mechanic, or story elements. I would tend to lean toward the latter, myself.

As to your last question, regarding the location of the original rules for Dark Side Points: in the Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Second Edition - Revised and Expanded rulebook (the one with the Millennium Falcon on the front), those rules are on pp. 85-86. In the original Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Second Edition rulebook (the one with a blue cover and Vader's helmet on the front), these rules are found on pp. 56-57. The Second Edition - Revised and Expanded rulebook's rules have been updated a little bit over the old rulebook; if you have that rulebook, you'll have the more complete ruleset.

I hope this post has been helpful; please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions or you need more information on the questions already answered!
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with double crossing/evil characters is that it makes playing in a group much more of a challenge. When one decides to go evil, or to double cross the rest of the group, it becomes a player vs. player sort of a situation in the group. This isn't the best way to promote teamwork.

That's why the rules made it so that when a person did too many bad things, they gained Dark Side Points. If they gained too many Dark Side Points, they succumbed to the Dark Side and the player lost control of the character. Thus the player had to make a new character so that the group dynamic of "teamwork" was kept with the players. Leave it to the GM to play the bad guys.

Now if you want the WHOLE group to play bad guys, and have the opponents be the good guys, then you can simply dispense with the idea of Dark Side Points, and have the group play evil characters that work together to evil ends.

Doing it for one player character only, though, it going to mess with your group dynamic and pit player against player.

It's one of those things that you can tell your player "you can attempt to play a gray jedi, but you'll find that there's a fine line between light and dark. You get too dark of a shade of gray and you can fall to the dark side. You fall to the Dark Side, and I'll run your character as an NPC while you make a new character that works with the group.

GMs have enough of a challenge coming up with interesting adventures, all of the NPCs, challenging battles and keeping the players occupied with the game. They don't need to have to worry about animosity between players when one player is double crossing or sabotaging the rest of the group's efforts. That's what a GM can do with the bad guys, it's not something that's best for other players to do.

Like I said, though, if you have your whole group playing bad guys, all with their own goals and desires but "working together against the goodie-two-shoes" it could certainly work better. Then everyone knows they're bad, you don't have to worry about an accidental trip to the Dark Side, as they already are all evil characters.

Good luck with your game, whatever you decide. And welcome to the Pit!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our sparks group, we DO have a force using tradition (the cryoshock brotherhood), who are grey.. they must maintain a balance between number of dark and light side force points (Or their FP/DSP totals) or they get hunted/turn NPC..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the old Jedi Handbook netbook, there was a rule-set for neutral Force users called the Baadu. They actively try to stay neutral, and using a cleansing technique to purge themselves of DSPs.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
In the old Jedi Handbook netbook, there was a rule-set for neutral Force users called the Baadu. They actively try to stay neutral, and using a cleansing technique to purge themselves of DSPs.

Do they purge themselves of Light Side Points!? (...so much for being neutral.)

I would not allow a player to play a "gray" nor darkside character, unless the entire campaign is a darkside campaign. But, those aren't fun. I play Star Wars for the heroism, the glory! If I wanted evil, I'd watch the news.

I don't mind a "rough" hero who talks bad, but always seems to "do the right thing" - for his own selfish reasons, of course (kinda like Han Solo). But, I don't allow any actual bad guys. That...just isn't Star Wars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: